I realize that it sounds like petty obsessing, because we're in the last week of the regular season and I have a slim hold on first place despite my mistakes but...
I mean, what's killing me in the pitching category is that everyone else is carrying seven starting pitchers, I'm carrying five and... all the good starters were claimed months ago, so dumping a reliever for a sixth starter wouldn't do anything good for me.
But if I had Figgins, I'd be covering my need for SBs off the bench AND my back-up third baseman, meaning that both Markakis (SBs) and Youklis (back-up 3B) would be rendered redundant and I could roll with eleven position players and still have a reasonable chance of getting around sixty offensive "starts" a seven-day week out of the maximum sixty-three.
Eleven hitters and yet every "position" covered one more than the minimum... two 3B eligibilities, two C eligs, two SS eligs, three 1B eligs, four 2B eligs and four OF eligs.
...which would mean that I could carry six starters and four relievers without dropping anyone and the sixth would be Webb.
Leaving me a fuck*ng murderer's row of four ace starters... Beckett, Santana, Lackey and Webb... along with two solid #3-type starters, Bannister and El Duque, to stat-build for me on the backend.
...which would mean that I was no longer giving up on the win, strikeout and stolen bases most weeks.