Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156048 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #675 on: September 12, 2007, 01:59:17 pm »

Only six teams in the hockey league.  It's like old-skool NHL.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #676 on: September 12, 2007, 02:48:45 pm »

Oh man, I discovered the beauty of DirecTV Short Cuts last night.  Part of the whole DirecTV Sunday Ticket thing is 30 minute broadcasts on Monday and Tuesday of every game with all non-playtime edited out.  I watched the whole Detroit/Oakland game last night while my fiancee was getting ready to go over to a friend's place. 

A result of this viewing:  It is too early to get too excited about Kitna or the Detroit receivers, notwithstanding the numbers they put up on Sunday.  Apparently the Oakland defense is employing a strategy of staying nine to eleven feet away from the opposing team's receivers until they have the ball secured and have turned upfield. 
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #677 on: September 12, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

ALSO: LET'S PLAY THAT OLD TIME HOCKEY!

Damn!  I would have played fantasy hockey if I'd known I could use the Hanson Brothers.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #678 on: September 12, 2007, 04:38:34 pm »

I'm going to try not to get into too much specific smack-talk in the hockey thing but damn, Somebody nice, you could have picked Heydude off the waiver wire.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2007, 04:55:37 pm »

Aw man... how after being in first place all year am I already fucked two days into my first playoff week?

That's ridiculous?

But that's also what's completely awesome about baseball.

The juxtaposition of significant samples and fluke runs against pivotal turning points in a season.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #680 on: September 12, 2007, 05:20:04 pm »

Aw man... how after being in first place all year am I already fucked two days into my first playoff week?

You know I'm a Chargers fan - why you gotta say shit like this?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #681 on: September 12, 2007, 07:29:19 pm »

I'm going to try not to get into too much specific smack-talk in the hockey thing but damn, Somebody nice, you could have picked Heydude off the waiver wire.

No! No! I'm sorry! None of those terms mean anything to me!!

I need to find some time to sit down with a fantasy FAQ so I can figure out what the fuck I'm doing. Christ.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #682 on: September 12, 2007, 07:37:27 pm »

It meant Sid the Kid coming to me, so... great pick, Linnea!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #683 on: September 12, 2007, 11:24:13 pm »

Man - no Darren McCarty, no Bob Probert . . . I did get Mr. Hockey, didn't I?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #684 on: September 13, 2007, 03:32:08 am »

Aw man... how after being in first place all year am I already fucked two days into my first playoff week?

That's ridiculous?

But that's also what's completely awesome about baseball.

The juxtaposition of significant samples and fluke runs against pivotal turning points in a season.

I think, towards the end of the year, it was basically the top three teams and all the rest.  It would be flukish if the Reagans or Phlogistons beat you, but if I do it is bullshit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2007, 01:39:40 am »

ARAMIS RAMIREZ HAS CHOSEN TO HIT 50 HOME RUNS THIS WEEK JUST TO FUCKIN' SPITE ME.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #686 on: September 15, 2007, 03:59:10 pm »

We are approaching the final stretch. I would feel more comfortable about my chances of winning this week if the matchup page didn't reveal that nearly all my leads are by a paper thin margin -- just one light breeze and I could easily be sitting at 3-7 instead of the other way around. The one exception being the Phloggies' flukey team ERA. I mean, 5.47? And the WHIP is only 1.60? That's just really, really bad luck  on the part of your pitching staff.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #687 on: September 15, 2007, 10:29:43 pm »

Okay. Here's the amazing thing.

My pretend baseball team has decided to collapse the exact same way that the team I really cheer for, the Mets, has.

As close to the end as possible and by all their lesser pitchers imploding at once.

I'm okay with this.

But motherfucker, I'm not going down without a fight...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #688 on: September 15, 2007, 11:00:07 pm »

Everything but wins, K's, rbis and maybe average is open  You have the K's and RBI's, I should win the wins and average-- I just have a small advantage on the rest.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #689 on: September 15, 2007, 11:44:53 pm »

It is very safe to say that you have ERA and WHIP locked up, Keith.

I am gonna need a whole lotta luck in all the right categories to even make this close...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 79   Go Up