Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155995 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #705 on: September 17, 2007, 04:20:41 am »

Quote
In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock will be broken using the following system:

(See below if your league does not use one or more of the following categories.)

   1. Lowest team ERA.
   2. Highest team AVG.
   3. Lowest team WHIP.
   4. Most team HR.
   5. Most team wins.
   6. Most team RBI.
   7. Most team saves.
   8. Most team runs.
   9. Most team SO.
  10. Most team SB.
  11. Random "coin flip."

I don't know whether that means for the round or the entire season. I know I have a pretty healthy lead this week in ERA, and (spends 20 minutes digging through Yahoo's stat archive) I apparently also lead in seasonal ERA by a very slim 0.14 earned runs. Wow. I guess we'll see if all this amateur math pays off come tomorrow.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #706 on: September 17, 2007, 04:38:09 am »

That seasonal head-to-head stat listing is really interesting. For example, my team went 9-14-0 for the season in the ERA category despite leading the entire league in that category, average-wise, over the course of the season. I came second in team RBI, but went .500 on the year in that category during head-to-head matchups.

And to give you an idea how wildly unpredictable some stats are, the league leader in stolen bases had nearly four times as many as the last place person, while the difference between top and bottom in batting average was a a razor thin .018, which is really only a dozen or so lucky singles over the course of the year.

Not to take anything away from our regular season champ LFM, but looking at these stats really gives you an idea of how much of a factor luck is during the year.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #707 on: September 17, 2007, 04:49:42 am »

That's baseball, though...

A six-month-long struggle to outsmart luck and bend it to your will over one at-bat, one game, one-hundred-and-sixty-two games.

You're trying to hit a tiny ball with a small piece of wood AND you're trying to control which direction it goes when you hit it AND you're trying to hit it in a PART of that area where eight premiere athletes don't get to it before you can get to first base.

If you see 5 pitches an at-bat, say, and you're up five times?

And you can do that TWICE, get the ball to hit the ground in fair territory, in a place where a player can't then throw the ball to make it to first before you do...

If you do that twice in an entire game, two times out of twenty or twenty-five or thirty swings...

You've had one hell of a game. You're 2-5.

You do that every night and you play nearly every night?

You're not just good, you're one of the best hitters ever. You're right up there with Ted Williams and Ty Cobb if you can do that simple thing twice a night, every night.

No one has even been able to do THAT in decades.

It's a beautiful game. It's THE beautiful game.

You're battling probability, you're battling luck, you're battling God...

But if you could manage to never make an out, the game could go on for goddamned ever.

YOU could go on for goddamned ever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #708 on: September 17, 2007, 05:13:00 am »

That seasonal head-to-head stat listing is really interesting.

You said it.  Wish I had known that was there earlier, although I'm not sure how I could have used the info to my benefit.

Apparently my team hit reasonably well but the pitching was in the cellar.  I didn't think my pitching was that bad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #709 on: September 17, 2007, 01:39:46 pm »

Meanwhile, in football news:  I got 41 FP from my QB and could still lose.  I have two players plus the Iggles D tonight and have 30+ points to make up.  Sheesh.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #710 on: September 17, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »

Well, Phlogistons, it looks like we did finish in a dead tie, so I just barely move on thanks to that microscopic sliver of an ERA lead I had over you during the season. Job well done on a great year. I'm sure you'll kick my ass in football.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #711 on: September 17, 2007, 02:43:22 pm »

Meanwhile, in football news:  I got 41 FP from my QB and could still lose.

Here's hoping that you do just exactly that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #712 on: September 17, 2007, 05:15:16 pm »

And this week's high score is... The Motherfuck*ng Walrus.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #713 on: September 17, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »

Well, Phlogistons, it looks like we did finish in a dead tie, so I just barely move on thanks to that microscopic sliver of an ERA lead I had over you during the season. Job well done on a great year. I'm sure you'll kick my ass in football.

Very well played, sir.  I just hope the drama of that series doesn't eclipse that of the real final.  Good luck versus Mr. Radiodread.  You'll get no football ass-kickery from me, I'm afraid, as I missed signing up for that league.  We will face off again in pretend hockey, though, but not until Week 5.  See you then.

Meanwhile, I get to battle LFM for third place.  All three times we met in the regular season, the result was a 5-5 tie, so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.  At least this time it is I who hold a razor-thin lead in ERA.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #714 on: September 17, 2007, 06:25:23 pm »

Seeing as how my one and only goal was to stay out of the cellar, I am hell of pleased with my 5th place finish.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #715 on: September 17, 2007, 07:00:47 pm »

And this week's high score is... The Motherfuck*ng Walrus.

Holy crap, indeed.  I'm hoping Akers can kick at least one FG to spare me the embarrassment of having my score doubled by my opponent. 
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #716 on: September 17, 2007, 11:14:42 pm »

I didn't start one of my pitchers going today.  fuck*ng awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #717 on: September 18, 2007, 02:25:25 pm »

Ryan Howard, you magnificent bastard! I take back all the terrible things I said about you during your slow start in April... and May, and June.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #718 on: September 18, 2007, 10:12:20 pm »

Meanwhile, in football... w00t! 2-0! Don't think it'll continue at all, but hey, ya never know.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #719 on: September 18, 2007, 10:48:18 pm »

I picked up a win, but it certainly wasn't due to my kicking game.  Also, it seems strange that the entire defense gets lumped into one position.  Surely this is an aspect of the game where differentiation by position says something about the success of a team.  The real world 49'ers have had a major upgrade in overall defensive performance by getting some quality defensive backs, for example.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 79   Go Up