Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155527 times)

0 Members and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #720 on: September 18, 2007, 11:18:24 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking about that.  The most important aspect of the game in real life gets you about half as many points as a good quarterback.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #721 on: September 19, 2007, 03:17:04 pm »

The problem is that there aren't that many "scorable" defensive stats.  There aren't points for eating up blocks, blocking a passing lane, collapsing a pocket, not biting on a pump fake, or staying at home on a reverse.  All you've got is tackles, INTs, and sacks, and only about half of a defense gets appreciable points that way.

In other news, I am angry at Yahoo for choosing Steven Jackson over Shaun Alexander.  However, I feel vindicated about dropping Cincy's defense before the season started now.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #722 on: September 19, 2007, 04:05:21 pm »

Shaun's performing well for me, thank you.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #723 on: September 20, 2007, 03:45:47 am »

Shaun's performing well for me, thank you.


Yours being the first reply on a brand new page, I was a little startled to read it without any context. Since my name is Shaun, my first response was "Well... I do try to be a good forum user... so thanks....?" but then I quickly came to my senses and realized you were talking about Shaun Alexander.

Nice to see he's doing well for you. Although I'm a diehard Sonics and Mariners fan, I never developed any sort of attachment for the Seahawks. The closest I cam to being a fan was during their super bowl run, but pretty much everyone in Seattle became a fan then.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 05:38:34 am by melack »
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #724 on: September 20, 2007, 03:55:12 am »

... Since my name is Shaun, my first response was "Well... I do try to be a good forum user... so thanks....?"

Good to know we're worth your best efforts.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #725 on: September 20, 2007, 04:08:04 am »

melack, I agree that you are a quality forum user. Your avatar is still a thing of joy.

Okay, now back to my lurking and continued surprise at how consistently this thread manages to be about pretend sports.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #726 on: September 20, 2007, 05:40:05 am »

This thread has faced its fair share of distractions, but once you think it's going to veer off track, another league begins its season and discussion returns to fantasy sports. Its resiliency is amazing.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #727 on: September 20, 2007, 05:49:18 am »

It's because there is always something new happening in pretend sports, at least until Febuary.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #728 on: September 20, 2007, 05:55:42 am »

It's because there is always something new happening in pretend sports, at least until Febuary.

Take that, basketball! But you're right. I'm probably the biggest proponent of the NBA on this board, but even I'll admit fantasy basketball sucks.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #729 on: September 20, 2007, 01:13:29 pm »

It's because there is always something new happening in pretend sports, at least until Febuary.

Isn't that when we have the pretend swimsuit issue?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #730 on: September 20, 2007, 04:33:39 pm »

People!  March Madness Tournament Brackets....

OK, not exactly fantasy sports I suppose.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #731 on: September 20, 2007, 07:26:04 pm »

Have we done brackets here before? I guess not. I feel like this year's baseball season is when a bunch of us awkwardly emerged from behind a rock to timidly admit we enjoy sports.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #732 on: September 21, 2007, 05:23:16 am »

I'm not sure how many of you still care about the baseball league, but for those who do: I'm sure glad I had three players with at least three hits tonight, because Sweet Christ I don't have any starting pitchers scheduled to take the mound until late February.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #733 on: September 21, 2007, 04:42:12 pm »

I was definitely informed that Drew Brees was an acceptable quarterback.

By someone at some point, I could swear this.

Now I am gonna start him for the third straight week based on this and will probably lose because of it.

Does his O-Line just suck this season compared to last?

That is about as far as my knowledge of football goes: the quarterback might suck because the big fat guys in front of him aren't fat enough and not simply because he, himself, sucks.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #734 on: September 21, 2007, 06:34:53 pm »

I have no idea what the third step is, nor what the 5 and 6 holes are... but I am glad that my general theory is sound.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 79   Go Up