Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156093 times)

0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #810 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:17 pm »

I... I think I won a fantasy football game.  I keep looking at it to make sure my opponent doesn't have anyone going tonight, but I'm pretty sure that's it. 
I voted for your team on the strength of "no one can keep losing forever".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #811 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:35 pm »

I can win a second fantasy game, if the Jaguars defense scores 30 points.  So I just have to hope Peyton Manning throws like 3 INTs for touchdowns... and gets sacked a bunch...

Yeah.  Not happening.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #812 on: October 22, 2007, 10:08:56 pm »

I'm in the lead right now but...

My opponent's two guys in the Monday night game are probably gonna score a LOT more than my two guys so...

We'll see.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #813 on: October 23, 2007, 03:48:06 am »

Aw man.

Week 7, the Bananas win AND I score the most points.

Cats and dogs, living together.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #814 on: October 23, 2007, 07:16:10 pm »

Two fuck*ng points from most points on the week.  Dammit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #815 on: October 25, 2007, 05:45:26 am »

And now Ronnie Brown is out.  Fuck.


Are we doing Basketball?  I like basketball about as much as the NFL, so maybe I'll be good.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #816 on: October 25, 2007, 07:18:38 am »

I hope not. I'm already in two basketball leagues, and one of them features several statistical analysts from my work.

Plus, I don't think the NBA is held in very high regard 'round these parts.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #817 on: October 25, 2007, 08:07:24 am »

Plus, I don't think the NBA is held in very high regard 'round these parts.

That is what I was trying to get at.  At the same time, Fantasy Sports are a good way to kill 10 minutes a day.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #818 on: October 25, 2007, 05:29:42 pm »

I can't care about the NBA at all. Every game is either a blowout or comes down to a foul-shooting contest in the end and nothing matters at all until the second round of the playoffs. I mean, good Lord.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #819 on: October 25, 2007, 05:57:16 pm »

Oh, there are plenty of close games. The biggest problem with the NBA is the fact that the season and the playoffs are too goddamned long. What this creates is not only stale basketball, but increased chance of injuries to star players and decreased parity because the longer the season, the more time the truly great teams have to weed out the lucky ones. The NBA loses a lot of what makes it interesting after, say, March.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #820 on: October 25, 2007, 06:02:28 pm »

Apologies if I've pasted this before, but my proposal to fix the NBA is to replace existing games with best-of-five matches, consisting of 12-minute games.  It would be like the fourth quarter over and over again.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #821 on: October 25, 2007, 06:12:16 pm »

If the NBA would cut its playoff eligibility in half, man, I would suddenly care a lot more.

The only pro league that makes sense for a playoff field over eight is football... because they play so few games as per the once a week nature of the football.

You're playing eighty or so games in a league of thirty-ish teams? You don't need sixteen teams in the goddamned playoffs.

You can be pretty sure that team nine sucks way too much for the playoffs after eighty games. You just can.

Christ, I still stand by the idea that baseball should retract to twenty-four teams and four playoff spots.

Denver, Phoenix, Tampa and Miami should not have baseball teams... after that, there's three or four markets that theoretically could support major league baseball but just ain't cutting it. Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Toronto... cut out two of them and you're set.

Expand the NFL to forty at the same time. They got the economic model to survive in Green Bay and Buffalo, for God's sake, might as well expand. Portland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Omaha, Oklahoma City, Toronto, Orlando, Birmingham... all of these towns could get 50,000 people to show up eight times a year.

The teevee money's so lucrative that that's really all you need otherwise. Will you be able to sell 400,000 overpriced tickets?

If so, congratulations, you're in the NFL.

Also: I'm now basically happy with my fantasy team except for my third WR. From where I drafted and from who got injured and from how no one wants to trade nothin', I've done the best I could at every position but there.

But man, I suck at that last spot. Get healthy, Marvin Harrison. SERIOUSLY.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #822 on: October 25, 2007, 06:21:13 pm »

Expand the NFL to forty at the same time. They got the economic model to survive in Green Bay and Buffalo, for God's sake, might as well expand. Portland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Omaha, Oklahoma City, Toronto, Orlando, Birmingham... all of these towns could get 50,000 people to show up eight times a year.

The teevee money's so lucrative that that's really all you need otherwise. Will you be able to sell 400,000 overpriced tickets?

If so, congratulations, you're in the NFL.

Also: I'm now basically happy with my fantasy team except for my third WR. From where I drafted and from who got injured and from how no one wants to trade nothin', I've done the best I could at every position but there.

But man, I suck at that last spot. Get healthy, Marvin Harrison. SERIOUSLY.

I'm pretty sure that at least 5 of those cities had XFL teams. And LA has had its chance.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #823 on: October 25, 2007, 06:28:55 pm »

Well, to be fair though, the XFL doesn't actually count as having a football team.

Nobody was taking that shit seriously, people were only attending or watching to see if it was gonna be a trainwreck.

When it turned out to basically be Arena-quality performances with explosions and titties, neither good football nor a spectacular disaster, everyone just... tuned out. But fast.

Also, any league where all the teams are owned by an umbrella company will never work. I don't know why.

Professional American team sports need individual ownerships for things to work out long term.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2007, 06:31:57 pm »

Well, to be fair though, the XFL doesn't actually count as having a football team.

Nobody was taking that shit seriously, people were only attending or watching to see if it was gonna be a trainwreck.

When it turned out to basically be Arena-quality performances with explosions and titties, neither good football nor a spectacular disaster, everyone just... tuned out. But fast.

Also, any league where all the teams are owned by an umbrella company will never work. I don't know why.

Professional American team sports need individual ownerships for things to work out long term.

I wasn't suggesting the XFL was a real league, more that clearly there is a lot of agreement that those cities could support football teams.

And don't forget the same guy that brought us the XFL also decided to split his wrestling company into 3 supposedly separate entities all under the same ownership to create competition and excitement. It didn't work there, either.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 79   Go Up