Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156170 times)

0 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #855 on: November 12, 2007, 03:24:16 pm »

So... who's got Peyton Manning? Yikes.

That would be me.  Worried early, but he finally pulled it together enough to get me the win.  (Enough to get the Colts the win as well, apparently, minus a bad kick.)
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #856 on: November 12, 2007, 03:38:12 pm »

Yeah, Manning saved himself in my eyes. Started horribly, but the guy essentially came back to give his team the lead with a minute and a half left, only to see Adam V blow it for him.

If there's ever a guy to prove that reputations built upon playoff heroics are almost always bullshit, it's Viniatierri.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #857 on: November 12, 2007, 11:15:56 pm »

NY- Brady and Moss have been my team from day one, and it was their bye.  Just got to root for them to go undefeated so I don't get fucked in the playoffs.

LFM- Great, and correct, analogy.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #858 on: November 13, 2007, 06:01:17 pm »

At last, the losing streak is ended.  Naturally, it mostly was due to the ineptitude of my favourite '49ers.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #859 on: November 13, 2007, 11:18:08 pm »

At last, the losing streak is ended.  Naturally, it mostly was due to the ineptitude of my favourite '49ers.

My continued success in the league will depend on the performance of the Cowboys' defense and T.O. They play my Redskins this week, though. That's gonna be hard to handle. I want to win this week, but I will gladly take a loss if it means the Skins take the Boys down.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #860 on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:56 am »

Annnnd just as I finally shore up my WR slots, Adrian Peterson tears an ACL! Yay!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #861 on: November 15, 2007, 05:58:32 pm »

So apparently A-Rod has "side-stepped" Scott Boras, and is on the verge of signing a 10yr/$275m contract. Holy fuck?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #862 on: November 15, 2007, 06:25:23 pm »

I think what happened here is that this was the plan from the beginning...

Boras playing the bad cop, allowing A-Rod to play the good cop... and get more money out of the Yankees while still staying a Yankee.

And even if Boras wasn't directly involved in the negotiations, he's still gotta dot the is and cross the ts and get his percentage so why the fuck would he care if he gets the credit or not?

Boras is still getting a chunk of 27 million for the next 10 years instead of 25 million for the next two or three and... that's all that matters.

If that deal gets signed, it's all the more proof that Scott Boras is an evil fuck*ng genius.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #863 on: November 15, 2007, 07:45:38 pm »

Boras is evil, in that, he has his own team of coaches that teach the young players under his umbrella... sometimes in a completely different manner than the teams' coaches do... and it REALLY fucks 'em up.

Tries to make his players the most marketable players they can be in the short-term as opposed to the best players they can be over their careers and so on.

A lot of pitchers have been fucked up by that dude's representation.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #864 on: November 19, 2007, 02:59:27 am »

First Half:  Tom Brady- 4 Touchdown passes, Randy Moss- 4 Touchdown catches.  Told you that was my team, A-CAP.

Edit:  To prove the point further; my two starting RBs:

The Associated Press reports Atlanta Falcons RB Warrick Dunn rushed for 32 yards on 15 carries in the team's Week 11 game.

The Associated Press reports San Francisco 49ers RB Frank Gore rushed for 32 yards on 15 carries in the team's Week 11 game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:01:54 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #865 on: November 19, 2007, 05:40:22 am »

I woke up late today (No work!) and the games had already started.  I fretted a little about having not set my fantasy roster, but then I realized that it didn't matter any more.  There is no redemption to be had.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #866 on: November 19, 2007, 06:21:06 pm »

We've got a meaningful Monday night game.  I am down two to Barksdale, but have LenDale White active tonight.  Hopefully he can avoid early injury or game-long sucking.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #867 on: November 19, 2007, 11:10:36 pm »

<sigh> Clearly my plan to pick up players I hate worked. TO lit it up for FORTY-ONE points for me yesterday.

Of course, he did it against my team.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #868 on: November 20, 2007, 05:30:17 pm »

My plan to have the best running back and then also one of the top five running backs in the league and then have them both get horribly injured isn't working so well.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #869 on: November 21, 2007, 01:38:29 am »

Whoever I beat this week: What the hell, you did not deserve that fate.
I'm still kind of reeling from it to tell you the truth.  I thought I'd played my hand to perfection, but then Ben Watson ends up being healthy and scoring a touchdown.  I had started Vernon Davis on the theory that the Niners couldn't possibly underutilize him two weeks in a row - which was true - but Ben had the better day.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 79   Go Up