Here's the thing about hockey - why it's fantastic live, and so shit on television.
I went to an ECHL (AA-level) game many years back between the (then) Hampton Roads Admirals and the Richmond Renegades. It was a heated rivalry. This game was probably the best game I'll ever see live in any sport. It went to a penalty shootout, the home team won, etc. etc. Our seats were first row, with a clear-as-day line of sight to one of the goals. A shot was attempted, deflected into the stick of one of the Richmond defensemen, who then shot it towards the boards to clear it out. Toward the boards. Right in front of me. Life... time... slowed down. The world started to fog out into the haze, like that episode of Star Trek TNG where Dr. Crusher thinks the universe is collapsing. It was me and the puck, and we were coming to Jesus together, me and it. And then, in an instant, a loud crack, and the puck was gone, down the rink towards the other end.
And then I pissed myself.
You just can't get that on television. And I enjoy watching hockey on TV, I watch all things sports on TV. But I've never had to change my ##### because of a hockey play I saw on television.