Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156585 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1050 on: January 13, 2008, 02:44:47 am »

Hockey sucks hard on TV. The only reason it is my number 2 TV sport is because I love it so much and am far away from the rink most of the time.

Oi, next time you're down we should check out a Winterhawks game.   I haven't been to a WHL game since I was a kid.   I don't even know what league the Portland team is in.   They are not in the same league as the GUELPH STORM though.  That's the best name goin'.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1051 on: January 13, 2008, 04:01:04 pm »

People weren't exactly jumping for the Ar-kansas job, y'know.

The Michigan job, either.

He could've lined something up and waited three weeks to sign on the dotted line.

Is there some reason why he couldn't take the job and finish this season?  No, there is not.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1052 on: January 13, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »



It's the same reason why Joe Morgan was a Hall of Fame player and yet seems to be a half-step away from a droolbib as an announcer and... Billy Beane was a huge washout with a coupla cups of coffee in the majors as a player and yet a great baseball mind in terms of organizational management.


One time Joe Morgan said "It's not how fast he runs, but how quick he gets to base."  Me and my dad frequently get a chuckle out of that one.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1053 on: January 13, 2008, 04:28:28 pm »

There is always rooting against the Patriots.

There is a douchebag who put the pretty lady tied up on the rail-tracks and he is twirling his moustache as we speak. It is always solid to at least boo him lusty-like.

Hey that's a good analogy about the moustache because I am totally rooting FOR the Patriots.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1054 on: January 13, 2008, 04:31:30 pm »

I would like to point out that finally, after 72 pages, we've veered pretty well off-topic. The only thing so powerful that it could derail Pretend Sports, as it turns out, is Real Sports.


Yes, but this thread always veers back on topic.  It's a coupla months to baseball season though.  There's no fantasy basketball leagues?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1055 on: January 13, 2008, 04:36:24 pm »

Having grown up without a home team, I have like 8 'favorite' teams and some other teams I hate.  Most of this is because of fantasy football or when they drafted Auburn players.

Favorites (no particular order):
  • Green Bay
  • Pittsburgh
  • Tampa Bay
  • Indianapolis
  • Tennessee
  • Cincinnati
  • Minnesota

Teams I hate:
  • Denver
  • Oakland
  • New England
  • Dallas
  • Baltimore
  • St. Louis

Everyone else is kind of 'meh,' though Jacksonville is inching its way towards the hate list.

I've always been a hometown team kind of guy, but then the team I had rooted for my entire life uprooted itself and moved to another city.  My town has a new team, but I can't call myself a fan.  It took me a decade to finally start to get interested in professional sports again.  It's really liberating to watch a game without any bias towards who wins.  Hell I even enjoy watching the Cowboys win nowadays.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1056 on: January 13, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »

Oh, quit crying poor me. You got that '83 team the Raiders picked off in the AFC Champ. with Easley, Warner, Largent, Zorn, Norm Johnson and Krieg to hang your hat on.

I have the '78 Oilers, that was a great team.  They lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game.  Houston lost a touchdown on a bad call from the officials and went on to lose the game.  I take solace in the fact that they almost beat what many consider to be the best team in the History of the game.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1057 on: January 13, 2008, 04:46:40 pm »

Here's the thing about hockey - why it's fantastic live, and so shit on television.


My favorite part about hockey live is the chance of taking an errant puck to the face.  That and all the douchebags in attendance (upwards of 85% of the crowd).
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1058 on: January 14, 2008, 04:33:55 am »

Paul all hitting the shit out of this topic!



Jesus I almost bit my fuck*ng tongue off during that goddamn game. No starting QB, RB, FB, and TE gimpy. Still somehow managing to finish. Good lord that was a football game right there. If someone had said that when we finished it would have been Volek, Pinnock, and Turner I would have been thinking Colts 63, Bolts 7.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1059 on: January 14, 2008, 05:41:21 am »

That was a damn sweet game.  Not as sweet as Dallas getting beat, but still pretty fuck*ng awesome.

Two of the teams I hate the most played today, and both lost. 


I feel bad saying hate, I mean, I don't actually think I care that much, but yeah, fuck those teams.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1060 on: January 14, 2008, 06:46:49 am »

I was pretty ambivalent about the Colts and Chargers, but dang was it sweet to see Jerry Jones's sour downcast mug.  It made for a lovely dinner appetizer. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1061 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:43 pm »

Goodbye my sweet, snot-green Seahawks. You were dead before the snow hit the ground; you just didn't realize it.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1062 on: January 14, 2008, 07:40:17 pm »

I was pretty ambivalent about the Colts and Chargers, but dang was it sweet to see Jerry Jones's sour downcast mug.  It made for a lovely dinner appetizer. 

There always has to be one really remarkable face on the sidelines late in the playoffs. Deathmask (Jerry Jones) is gone. Leatherface (Shanahan) didn't make it. Thank fuck we still have the Lunar Surface.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1063 on: January 14, 2008, 08:40:02 pm »

There always has to be one really remarkable face on the sidelines late in the playoffs. Deathmask (Jerry Jones) is gone. Leatherface (Shanahan) didn't make it. Thank fuck we still have the Lunar Surface.
And the Anti-Nolan, for that matter (sartorially speaking).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1064 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:43 am »

The AFC championship - FEEL THE VOLEKTRICITY!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 79   Go Up