Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155620 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2007, 03:08:57 am »

Has anyone heard of a video game called Ultimate Baseball Online? I'm writing an article on it for a gaming website I intern for. It's pretty cool in that teams can be 9 real people, each manning their own position and waiting their turn to hit in the lineup. It's sort of like an MMORPG (think World of Warcraft) because you create a player and gradually build your skills with every game you play.

Anyways, it's pretty fun for a totally free game, except when you play with a whiny dick who yells at you for getting picked off at first base... for the third time in a row. Hey, at least I got three hits in a row!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2007, 04:09:21 am »

If I have my math right, Venomous Monkeys defeated me 4-5-1... and so I say, internet congratulations. Josh Beckett going to the DL is not an excuse, it is merely an explanation. Well played.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2007, 02:30:17 pm »

We meet again, LFM. I believe the last time we faced off, you took me behind the shed to the tune of an 8-2 drubbing. Do not plan on the same happening again.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2007, 04:12:29 pm »

Wow... somehow Hudson tanked enough to eke me out the ERA stat. That's... kind of amazing. However, ironically, my last minute roster moves to try and get a tie in SB ended up dropping me INTO a tie on RBI. I overthought myself into a hole by trying to game the SB category.

Hopefully, before this season is over, I will learn to accept that... like... the SB category is a crapshoot that can't be worried too much about in terms of mid-week roster shuffles and just... get base-stealers on your squad and play your best nine in any given day. And hope for the best.

There were two or three different days where I talked myself out of Youklis over Pierre on the thought that the dude can steal two bases on any given day. However: when you're not gettin' on base, you can't steal bases. Bleh.

Well played, regardless, Monkeys.

Hello, Reagans... this should be a fun week.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2007, 01:14:35 am »

Well played, regardless, Monkeys.

Thanks, and Jesus fuck. I can't believe I've got a tenuous grip on second place. I have never watched baseball on purpose. The only reason I tell people I like the Blue Jays is because it pisses a guy off at work. Seriously, LFM, you are working this issue like you are the Henry Ford of internet baseball. Did you see where I finally had to get rid of Mariano Rivera? I had heard he was good at baseball, but it turns out that was incorrect. It may be that my team is just as good as it is going to get.

Also, tangentially related in that sports is sports, fuck the Mighty Ducks right in their puckered bungholes, every last one of them. Fuck Chris Pronger. Especially fuck Teemu Selanne. Fuck him twice, with John Holmes' cock. Niedermayer can eat a dick too. I got to watch that goat-fuck of a game on the day I hosted my brother-in-law's wedding, too. Also, I met my mother-in-law for the first time this time home.

But you know, I'm glad to be back.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2007, 01:42:29 am »

Niedermayer can eat a dick too.

Niedermayer -- he's a dead man.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2007, 02:29:08 pm »

Haha, I just noticed the little "Note to Self" post-it note at the bottom of my team's page. I filled it out before the season and totally forgot about it. Here, I'll share it with you guys:

Quote
Note to self: no matter how tempting, DO
NOT draft Carlos Baerga.

Home runs: good for hitters, bad for
pitchers.

David Eckstein: great shorstop, or GREATEST shortstop?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2007, 02:08:32 am »

This outsider doesn't understand AW's post, but thinks there has to be a story behind Nabu never having met his mother in law before?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #248 on: May 24, 2007, 05:52:25 pm »

This outsider doesn't understand AW's post, but thinks there has to be a story behind Nabu never having met his mother in law before?

Oh my yes, is there ever a story behind that. One day I'll tell you it, and the Legend of El Chupa Nibre, as well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2007, 07:07:31 pm »

Wombat - When you work your way through the suggested movie viewings thread and reach the right one you will get AW's reference.


Or, you could just watch this short Youtube clip.  I didn't get the quote 100% correct...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2007, 07:10:59 pm »

I met that man's brother!

PS apparently one of the writers of that movie was in a frat at WashU. ZBT, if I recall correctly. Other frats are "The Gay Frat" or "The Coke Frat"... ZBT is "The Illegal Frat." (also apparently quite jewish, but, that is not as fun to point out.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2007, 07:54:57 pm »


PS apparently one of the writers of that movie was in a frat at WashU. ZBT, if I recall correctly.

That would be Harold Ramis.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #252 on: May 25, 2007, 04:35:31 am »

That would be Harold Ramis.

Man that guy has basically had the definitive uneven career. From the subl ime to the ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #253 on: May 25, 2007, 05:09:14 am »

This thread is veering dangerously far from esoteric baseball geekery territory.

This is probably a good thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #254 on: May 25, 2007, 05:40:56 am »

It was noticed elsewhere that this thread had stayed dangerously on topic fof 17 pages.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 79   Go Up