Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155777 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2007, 05:15:03 pm »

The Fightin' Phlogs seem to be playing this game with full utilization of "The Carousel Theory".

It isn't to say that I don't use that technique for my bench players myself but... it'll be interesting to see how that works with an entire pitching staff. I suppose I will have to assume that I am not gonna get the save, win or strikeout stats no matter what I do and work from there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2007, 10:01:46 pm »

Yeah, he basically has the lock down on three categories going in, and then just hope to get some of the others, I guess.  It would also offset a bad pitching performance (for era and whip), but would also create more bad pitching nights, which is why I don't no whether or not it is good.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2007, 02:01:46 am »

So do we feel like that is sketchy or not? I know that some folks do that with hockey, and my brother got all bent out of shape about it. However, my buddy at work does it full on. I don't have enough time to devote to it, to get it done right.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2007, 02:42:44 am »

Anything short of collusion is OK by me.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2007, 04:09:30 am »

Anything Goes, I say.

If Yahoo lets you do it, I am cool with it.

I would, however, like A-CAP to get involved in this competition again. I have made a good offer for a dude's overflowing bounty of catchers and have gotten no response.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2007, 04:26:43 am »

It's hard for him to move in a quick manner; He is an entire university.

You, on the other hand, are an entire baseball team. Much faster.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2007, 05:07:34 am »

No one moves as fast as the crazy asian dude with the eskimo sunglasses.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2007, 05:17:41 am »

Even one who drinks (a lot)?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2007, 06:03:29 am »

Even one who drinks (a lot)?

I move most rapidly when I am stumbling and falling down.

Drunken Fist!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50:04 am »

Well, I had three starting pitchers going today. The first two both got wins, one of which was even a complete game shutout. I had given up the third for dead when I saw he'd given up 4 runs in the first. Well, now it's the sixth and he's up 5-4. Let's see if I can go 3 for 3 on wins!

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:11 pm »

Spoke way too soon. He gave up 7 earned runs and lost. He's also the ace of my favorite team - woo!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2007, 11:51:18 pm »

I have made a good offer for (A-CAP)'s overflowing bounty of catchers and have gotten no response.

You and me both. The quality of work from the catcher position seems to drop off remarkably. I would never have known that if it wasn't for being in this fantasy baseball league. I'm learning!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2007, 04:39:43 am »

Yeah, quality catchers aren't easy to come by. All I had to do to get mine was trade the guy who might very well be the greatest right-handed pitcher of all time. Granted, the Rocket wasn't due to start for a month when the deal went down, but still. A hefty price.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2007, 10:28:15 am »

The funny thing about my enormous pitching staff is that it came about entirely by accident.  Perez, Mitre, and Escobar were all added for spot starts late in the week a couple of weeks back, and then I realized they were better than most of the other guys on my staff and kept them around.  It's actually really easy to shuffle players when they're all pitchers, though, since you can check which ones are starting days in advance, and even with twelve pitchers I've never had so many guys starting that I had to bench a reliever.

It's also working out a lot better than my original strategy of ignoring home runs and trying to take the other offensive categories instead.  Even in fantasy ball, a home run is also an RBI and a run scored, making it three times more valuable than a stolen base.  The whole carousel thing would probably be a better idea if I had at least a couple more position players, though.  Poor Chipper finally got hurt this week, and the best I could do was move Mark Teahen to third and start Chipper in the utility spot, as a sort of symbolic act to show that I would bench him if I could.  At least I'm fielding a player at each position again... for a short while, I had a grand total of zero catchers on my team (not counting Mauer).

I managed to trade one pitcher for Soriano, which will help that situation a bunch, but it would really help if I could just get rid of Carlos Zambrano.  On a normal fantasy rotation he'd be okay, but alongside all my other guys he's dead weight, and I can't cut him.  I'll give him away if I have to, but it would be nice if I could package him with someone else in a two-for-one deal for somebody I'd actually keep.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2007, 08:07:04 pm »

Funny thing about Carlos Zambrano. I'm sitting here watching the Cubs-Braves game on TBS, having tuned in when it was 2-1 Braves in the 5th. It looked like Zambrano was doing pretty well, so I was thinking about your offer. Maybe he'd turned a corner? I was even constructing trade packages in my mind.

Well, now it's 7-1 Braves in the bottom of the same inning. The icing on the cake is the highlight they showed that took place during the commercial break: Zabrano yelling at his catcher in the dugout for a passed ball, the catcher points to the scoreboard and the 13 hits the Braves have so far. Zambrano didn't like that much and decided to punch the guy.

So I don't think I'll be trading for him any time soon. But good luck! He's a great pitcher, I'm sure he'll get it figured out once he decides to stop being completely batshit insane.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 79   Go Up