Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese Food  (Read 10556 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 04:38:13 am »

Hot and Honey Garlic Chicken sounds about right.  The sauce is hot and sweet, and there's probably some garlic in there.

I pretty much can't stand the Chinese buffet version of chicken nuggets, no matter what the sauce.   But I will confess a weakness for General Tso sauce, at least on other bases.

Scorn me if you will...

That was the stuff that got me, that I mentione on pg1. Chicken nuggets drenched in sauce made chiefly from corn syrup. Jesus, no - what the hell is wrong with you?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 11:45:25 am »

planning our friends' gay marriages
I wish, our government cut that one off a few years back by redefining marriage in law as being between a man and a woman. I didn't even hear about it until after it happened. I don't see it lasting though, we have a gay and lesbian mardi gra here that's like the equivalent of the macy's thanksgiving day parade.
I'm down with the rest of it though. Can we invite Sri Lanka too? Not new zealand though he cramps my style.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 03:22:36 pm »

Oddly enough I was watching the news, and there was a new study about Chinese food take-out and its horribly hight sodium content, and there was a shot of General Tso's in it.  It is indeed the hot and honey chicken I've had many a time.  Very tasty.

Doc - I'm sorry to hear about the marriage thing.  People are hella married up here.  My coworker Kathy is married to her partner, also Kathy (to make things ever better I work with another Cathy, but it's nothing like KITH - Cathy with a C is unpleasent at best).  I told another lesbian friend this and she was horrified "Oh!  That is too gay!" she said.  She keeps bugging the SO and I to get married and have kids, and I tell her in my most down talking condensending voice "but now you can get married, and your wife can have a baby." 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 03:31:21 pm »

Y'know... that is something I've never considered about same-sex coupling...

You might be sleeping with someone with the same name as you. That's weird.

If they scream your name, are they screaming... their name?

Man. Weird thought.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 03:39:26 pm »

Y'know... that is something I've never considered about same-sex coupling...

You might be sleeping with someone with the same name as you. That's weird.

If they scream your name, are they screaming... their name?

Man. Weird thought.

It's not just a same-sex issue. There's Aaron + Erin. Not to mention Toni, Dawn, Sam, Charlie, Taylor, Tyler, and a boy named Sue.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 03:41:12 pm »

Well, this is true.

Indeed, my girlfriend has a name that is usually associated with men in this country, Adrian.

But... I've never met a girl who went as "Mike", so I've never had to really consider it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 03:44:59 pm »

Oddly enough I was watching the news, and there was a new study about Chinese food take-out and its horribly hight sodium content,


I was almost going to link to this news report but decided it was too depressing. Not just the sodium content but the calories... well, big surprise that it's so tasty because of all the fat in the sauce, I guess.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »

I was almost going to link to this news report but decided it was too depressing. Not just the sodium content but the calories... well, big surprise that it's so tasty because of all the fat in the sauce, I guess.

I've been making a lot of stir fries lately and this is totally true. Between bottled stir-fry sauces, oyster sauce, soy, and beef broth there is hell of sodium. Plus my meat is never anywhere near as tender as even the crappiest take-out. I lose at cooking.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 05:22:31 pm »

There's a traffic reporter here named (phonetically at least) Michael-Lynn, and her colleagues sometimes refer to her as Michael.  FYI.

Also, I am saddened that one of my favourite Chinese dishes may not have the ring of authenticity.  I'm mostly to blame for that, as I smugly informed my wife years ago that sweet-and-sour pork isn't "real" Chinese.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2007, 06:11:52 pm »

My brother told me about the "Chinese food is bad for you" report, and we both laughed at fake Chinese food.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 06:24:40 pm »

My brother told me about the "Chinese food is bad for you" report, and we both laughed at fake Chinese food.

I wish I could wake up with the msg already in me
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2007, 07:28:56 am »

Indeed, my girlfriend has a name that is usually associated with men in this country, Adrian.
AAAAAADRIIIIIIIAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!

ahem

There are apparently chicks called cameron (my name) and I know a dude called Erin (my lady's name) so I think anything's on the cards these days, but so long as your not shouting the name of someone named something dumb like moonbeam or raven it's probably all good.
I apologise to anyone out in internet land that is named moonbeam or raven. I apologise for your stupid parents and their terrible choice of name.

LFM and his lady should totally get it on to 'eye of the tiger'.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 12:25:17 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2007, 02:35:35 pm »

Adri hears that pretty much every other day. I am not allowed to own any Rocky DVDs, even the ones that aren't completely bad, because she hates having that yelled at her every other day.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2007, 04:51:46 pm »

Shameful disclosure

I call one of my coworkers "Lizard-breath" sometimes.  Like she's never heard that one before.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Food
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2007, 04:53:17 pm »

My Significant Lady is a child of 1978.

However, her aunt is also an Adrian. It seems there is a family tradition on her mom's side of the family of using that as a lady's name. Such family traditions may have clouded them to such cultural difficulties.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up