On the flip side, my SO and I aren't married, but after two years of living in a conjugal relationship, my gov't considers us common law. I feel sort of ambivalent and annoyed by this, especially since I think I never want to be married to anyone, but it's a choice that was taken away from me. The law came into place at the time as we were about to hit the two year mark (it used to be seven years). Did I want to be legally bound to my partner and give him the right to half of my stuff and become personally responsible for half of his fairly large debt (which was amassed from a previous, bad relationship)? No. I wanted to be free to make the choice when and if I wanted to. The law came in to place before gay marriage was legalized here, as a way of protecting and recognizing partnerships not legally classified as marriage at the time, but for a young strait couple who were just messing around, it's sort of unfair. We've hit some rocky roads recently, and though I think things are getting worked out, I can't deny that knowing I contributed much much more financially to our relationship - and his massive debt - scares the hell out of me.