Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Raisin bread  (Read 10959 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 12:18:13 pm »

I don't mind what variety my bagel is as long as I can put an obscene amount of avocado on it.

(This policy extends to many, many things, not all of them edible.)

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 03:40:18 pm »

Rutabagas, is it possible for two people to have the exact same taste buds? If it is, that's awesome. If not, I want my tongue back!
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 07:52:01 pm »

Oh, yes.  Avocado.  Avocados are like little food gifts.  I don't even care what else is in a sushi maki.  If it has avocado in it, I want it.  I've actually never had avocado on a bagel, but it sounds perfect.  I'll have to give it a go some time.  Avocados are sort of expensive up here (usually $1 each), so it's not often I buy one.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:26 pm »

We are all like gigantic featherless quetzal birds with hands because of our love for avocados.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 04:17:38 am »

Oh, yes.  Avocado.  Avocados are like little food gifts.  I don't even care what else is in a sushi maki.  If it has avocado in it, I want it.  I've actually never had avocado on a bagel, but it sounds perfect.  I'll have to give it a go some time.  Avocados are sort of expensive up here (usually $1 each), so it's not often I buy one.

Man o man I'll smear that grean grease on anything and choke it down. Or salt & lemon it and hack it out with a spoon, no alternate delivery medium necessary.

ALSO: My neighbors farm 'em and have 'bout 3 jillion trees worth. Makes 'em free and easy, but you have to put up with Kalipornia for the pleasure.

We are all like gigantic featherless quetzal birds with hands because of our love for avocados.

I love you guys. Avocados... jeez, those are grelicious. Kellichou's favorite boba tea is an avocado slush.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 05:07:26 am »

Kellichou's favorite boba tea is an avocado slush.

I love avocados but I don' know what that means and I am a little freaked by what I am picturing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 04:15:51 pm »

I love avocados but I don' know what that means and I am a little freaked by what I am picturing.


Don't be afraid! Boba tea is this frikkin' awesome drink that I believe originated in Taiwan. It is tea with Gummi-bear-like beads at the bottom. These chewy things are called boba, and they are made from tapioca starch. You drink the tea through an extra-big straw and suck up boba. You sip and chew the drink. It's awesome. There's a picture of a boba tea drink here.

Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 04:28:56 pm »

I like Bubble Tea, but not the Tapioca balls.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but my experience is that they are much harder than a gummie bear, and also flavourless and all-round not enjoyable.  They are fun to shoot out of the straw like little BB's though.  I have enjoyed doing that before.

In Indonesia they treat the Avocado as a fruit and serve a drink of Avocado "juice" and sweetened condensed milk.  I really wanted to try one, but those street vendors basically have no standards of cleanliness, and I'd heard lots of warnings about the food only being "safe" for the Indonesian gut. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 05:59:57 pm »

I like Bubble Tea, but not the Tapioca balls.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but my experience is that they are much harder than a gummie bear, and also flavourless and all-round not enjoyable.  They are fun to shoot out of the straw like little BB's though.  I have enjoyed doing that before.

In Indonesia they treat the Avocado as a fruit and serve a drink of Avocado "juice" and sweetened condensed milk.  I really wanted to try one, but those street vendors basically have no standards of cleanliness, and I'd heard lots of warnings about the food only being "safe" for the Indonesian gut. 

Mel! I think I may have the solution here. Get "jelly" the next time you get a boba tea instead of "boba". It is basically little squares of Gummi bears, and they're always soft and delicious. I bet you will love it. I order my boba drinks with half boba and half rainbow (various fruit flavoured) jelly. They have "aloe vera" flavoured jelly where I get my tea! I've never tried it though. I have drank bottled Aloe Vera Gel to help my tummy, though, and it's slightly bitter and refreshing. I would kill for coconut jelly. That would be superb.

Yeah...the Indonesian drink you describe...I'm sure that they would use local water in its preparation and therefore it would be unsafe for non-locals to consume.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 06:53:36 pm »

Fun Fact: Boba is actually slang for "big breasts" in Taiwan, if my aunts are to be believed. They always snicker whenever my brother and I order boba at a restaurant.

And if you guys like boba and jelly inside of your drinks, or even if you don't, you should try shave ice with jelly and fresh fruit. I have no idea what the appeal of eating a mound of ice shavings covered in random sweets is, but if you like your desserts cold, you'll love shave ice. And if you eat too much, you'll actually start shivering, even in the middle of summer.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2007, 07:10:53 pm »

Ah, yes - I had shaved ice in Jakarta a few times.  It was sweet and had beans and jelly stuff floating in it, which I was totally not into, but it was so unbelievably hot that I didn't care.  I mean it could have had an eye ball in it and I'd still have had some.  It was so hot and humid that my glasses steamed up due to breathing and my shirt (made of that fabric that looks intentionally wrinkled) un-wrinkled and more than doubled in size.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2007, 08:59:13 pm »

Yeah, I have had bubble tea before, but the avocado part?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:07 pm »

Yeah, I have had bubble tea before, but the avocado part?

An avocado milkshake - dude, if you like avocados, you haven't lived until you've had an avocado milkshake. Just make a vanilla milkshake and throw in some cubed avocado, and blend until smooth. In some parts of the world, such as the Indonesian drink that s_s described, avocados are mixed with sugar and milk as a dessert.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 10:05:33 pm »

They have "aloe vera" flavoured jelly where I get my tea! I've never tried it though. I have drank bottled Aloe Vera Gel to help my tummy, though, and it's slightly bitter and refreshing. I would kill for coconut jelly. That would be superb.

Does this actually work? The only aloe-related beverage I ever had was that Trader Joe's aloe drink, and it actually hurt to drink; to quote Kibo, it tasted "like bees in convenient liquid form." (To be fair, Kibo states that it might have been the ginseng that made it sting.) I just can't picture drinking aloe ever being a good idea.

Of course, I also really don't like solids/gels suspended in liquid, unless it's ice chips, so boba tea is not for me.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Raisin bread
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 11:20:29 pm »

Does this actually work? The only aloe-related beverage I ever had was that Trader Joe's aloe drink, and it actually hurt to drink; to quote Kibo, it tasted "like bees in convenient liquid form." (To be fair, Kibo states that it might have been the ginseng that made it sting.) I just can't picture drinking aloe ever being a good idea.

Of course, I also really don't like solids/gels suspended in liquid, unless it's ice chips, so boba tea is not for me.

Wait, whuh? They put ginseng in an aloe drink? That is hella weird.

For people who have IBS and other Tummy Trouble such as ulcers, drinking bottled aloe vera gel or juice will help soothe your ravaged GI tract. They have to specially process the aloe to remove the bitter compounds that the plant created to help prevent other animals from eating it.  If you mix it with ingredients like cayenne or ginseng or other GI Irritants, you've just negated the soothing properties.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up