Yay abortion! Anyway. Back to the subject at hand, which is playing records backwards.
So, you know the song "On Earth My Nina" by they might be giants? The story, for those who don't:
Eight years ago, tmbg released an album online. One of the tracks, called "On Earth My Nina," consists entirely of a voice singing backwards, unaccompanied. As you listen to this track repeatedly -- which you do if you're a teenaged me -- it grows on you. It becomes haunting and mysterious, and you start to imagine that the backwards words are forwards words, and that they make sense.
Tmbg explained at the time that they had written a song called "Thunderbird," and played it backwards. They liked it backwards better than forwards, and so they listened to the backwards recording repeatedly until they could mimic it with their voices, and then recorded this mimicry. "Hmm, the original must not have been a very good song," I thought, "But I'm glad they found a way to turn it into something cool."
Five years later they released another album, and one song on it in particular caught my attention. It was very catchy, with cryptic lyrics seemingly about an addiction to some kind of transcendent experience. It quickly became my favorite song on the album, perhaps one of my all time favorites. This song was Thunderbird.
So, next time you wonder whether tmbg have
sold out, remember: They wrote a hit, and sat on it five years, just to let the backwards version really sink in.
In conclusion: Thunderbird/OEMN is the only song I know which is a song both backwards and forwards, and so it should be encoded on any single lane, two way streets in Ray's vision.
Also: I think I am getting second-hand stoned just from parsing the rhyme scheme in Nightlife's poem. Man.