Wow, hate to start up an old thread that was beaten to death. I was the officer that observed the Domestic Battery situation that Paul photographed. I observed the man get very aggressive with the woman on the street corner over a pack of cigarettes.
I was on my way home but felt it was important for both of their safety to stop and "assist" them. In this case it was apparent that both parties were verbally arguing as I observed them.
I returned to their location where I hoped that they would observe me and stop arguing especially due to their proximity to a very busy intersection. These two individuals chose the southeast corner of the street to argue. As I parked my bike I observed the male subject strongly pull the females arm, appearing to be attempting to drag her toward the store. At this point I am mandated by law to make an arrest if they are in a domestic relationship. If I don't I'm the bad COP and will surely be reported to my leadership for neglecting to perform my duties. The man continued to pull her arm until she jerked away. The female then ran into traffic and went to Taco Bell where she was approached by myself and other officers. After establishing that the two lived with one another "in the apartments across the street" we arrested the male subject.
It was apparent from the very start that they were both very intoxicated and that they had a abusive relationship which they are both likely stuck in. This is a mental state that is not explainable by myself or anyone else even if they have been, or are in one of these relationships. In Kansas the Law states that if we as Law enforcement see or observe evidence of a domestic battery we must arrest the suspected person. If evidence exists that both parties are the offenders we have the discretion to arrest both parties.
We explained the law to the female subject several times. I even offered to give her a ride home or escort her across the street. In Salina there is a ordnance against Intoxicated pedestrian in roadway. She could have been arrested immediately. However we attempted to work with her for quite an extended period of time. She yelled at officers, screemed obscenities. and approached in a aggressive manner several times. Durring this time the manager of Taco Bell advised she did not want the female to be in her Establishment due to her anxious drunken state. We informed the female of this several times. The female expressed her dislike with this in a creative manner and entered the building. The female was escorted from the building by two officers, myself included. She struggled by was treated with the respect she deserved and we afford the people we deal with.
I observed Paul photographing the incident as we were walking from the building with the female. I did not know we were being photographed by a bystander. Had Paul not been there our behavior would have been the same. I appreciate the public photographing and recording our actions in Salina. However even if the public is not photographing, we are recording on audio recorders and video equipment in our vehicles. This incident was recorded on three micro recorders and two digital video cameras, in addition to Paul's photographs. These tools not only protect officers on many occasions but are also used to scrutinize our actions and to use for training. If we make what our brass deems a mistake were are informed in many ways, which is right. However it is nice to see these types of situations posted by citizens.
I see allot of domestic violence in my line of work and don't believe that there is a cure without outside help. The woman was not arrested for domestic violence and her actions were definitely not her her best in life. The female was charged with fail to comply and that was it. She could have faced numerous other charges but her drunken state was taken into consideration.
Again thank you Paul for your photographs. Sorry you had to experience this in Salina. It really is a great town. We have our issues just like anyone else but we like to think we treat people with respects and courtesy.
Keep posting when you see a situation like this.
An wow look at the dialog it opened up about Domestic Battery. Please dont start a dialog with me telling me where im wrong on here. That wasn't my point of responding and I get that enough from the people I get paid by.