Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 981430 times)

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 03:54:31 pm »

Today I found out the day & time for my Grammas funeral. She passed while we were enroute from Orlando. Saw her on the Fourth as planned so no regrets.

HaHa, ain't life grand. Tired o' dis chit, I telly youse.

Condolences.  Sucks to lose Grandparents.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Turbo Ninja

• A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 04:03:11 pm »

Today I'm gonna see if our ancient Windows ME Gateway still works.  The GF is away on business and took our laptop with her, and I can't handle being severed from the Internet for three days.  I can't remember the last time the Gateway was even powered up - 2005? - but I guess I'm glad we kept it.

linnea

• VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 10:54:28 pm »

I've been real glad I've kept old machinery around in the past as well. The house has two towers and a laptop on network, plus my work laptop when necessary. I have a '98 vintage tower and a '99 laptop stored that I pull out every now and then to spin up for functionality checks in case of dire disaster and/or internet jonesing. I don't think I've ever really tossed hardware, shit, and an Atari 800XL is still on the shelf.

Ash, please tell me that you don't live in one of those houses with newspapers up to the ceiling. On a tangentially related note, my aunt had a husband who hoarded 50,000 rounds of ammunition in his trailer because he was convinced that the government was going to make ammo sales illegal some day. Moral of the story: emergency personnel called to any incident at that house, just hang back and wait for it to blow.

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 02:32:41 am »

Today I woke up, read a bit of a book by a local author
I fell back asleep
I read a little more of the book
I got up and read my emails and new posts on TOUMB
I ate a healthy lunch
I walked to the walk-in clinic, got my prescription for refills
I walked to the pharmacy and dropped the prescription off to be filled
I went to the art gallery with my free pass.
I checked out a series of historical paintings of my area
I checked out the gallery collection of paintings from the 1400-1500's
I checked out an exhibit of paintings of the human form organized chronologically from the 1600 thru now
I entered an area of the gallery where you make your own art and made an art card so deeply emotional that I welled up entitled "I'm still in love with him even though he broke my heart," then hung it on the wall.
I wandred through an exhibit of Canadian pottery and ceramics which was pretty boring... on the wall was a quote from someone "The hammer is a potter's bestfriend."  I thought of an angry potter smashing something and this pleased me.
I checked out the exhibit I'd gone to see by Royal Art Lodge - a series called "Where is here?" which was hundreds of tiny 5 x 5 inch paintings with lots of text on them.  One of them, called "Peas and Carrots" - which was of an old man with the aforementioned vegetables caught in his beard - gave me a good laugh. 
I checked out a weird installation exhibit of photocopies of about a hundred life-sized line drawings of babies, and participated in an interactive portion of the installation that invited me to colour in my own photo copy of a face labelled lonely, which I coloured to be a target and labelled "IT"S NOT THAT BAD."  Just after finishing this up I went on to another part of the same installation that included "welcome mats" that were embellished with statements about home that people from all over had sent to the artist that were scattered all over the floor, along with a pile of blocks I really wanted to knock over... but I wasn't sure if this part of the exhibit was still interactive.  I was about to knock them over when this bell rang.  I got excited that it was part of the exhibit, but it was actually an announcement that the gallery was closing.
I walked home.
The SO was there when I got home, so I asked him about his day while he prepaired to barbecue some bison burgers.
I ate two bison burgers with my SO.
Then we watched a documentary about ferret owners on PBS that was equal parts cute and off-putting with little hints of humour and sadness.
Then I watched Video on Trial.
Then I came up here and read more of my emails and posts here.
Soon I will eat animal crackers, probably share them with my cat.
Then I will feed my puffer giraffe.
Then I will get into bed and read my book 'til I fall asleep.

All in all, a pretty good day.
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

RMJ12345

• Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 10:25:34 am »

Today I'm not gonna wear pantyhose to my Barnes & Noble gig, per some very unclear instructions from my manager, to whom innocuous black cloth ##### in the style of jeans are the same as jeans.

Hope I don't get fired!

smick

• -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 10:34:55 am »

Are... are you going to wear anything else?   I... (mercy!)... I don't understand.

KeithHernandez

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 11:02:08 am »

Wednesday I went to work and got really, really drunk and etc.

Thursday I am trying to finish Catch-22 so I can return it to the library and going to bed somewhat early as I have a college appointment thing to do.

You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

• Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 12:21:22 pm »

Today my vitamin D assay still isn't working and my boss is on holiday for 2 weeks from monday so he's stressing over it.
Too many variables that are beyond my control, I'd only just started whittling down the ones that I could control.
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

• Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 337
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
    • Rarely updated random quotes
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 12:46:02 pm »

Today I'm going to our annual mandatory sexual harassment and diversity training. Last year somebody asked why we have one of these every single year, when none of our friends or relatives have these annually at their jobs. The HR person said we're "required" to have the trainings every year. Then somebody asked who requires it, and the HR person suddenly had to leave the room.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 636
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 12:58:27 pm »

Smells has a puffer giraffe?!
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 01:58:12 pm »

Two actually:  Hoju and Valentine ( a green spotted and a Ceylon).  I feed them bloodworms everynight at 10pm and the occasional treat of either snails, ghost shrimp or guppies.  They swim excitedly in the corner of the tank waiting, and I sometimes sing a song about how great their life is due to lack of predators and because "all we do is swim around all day/ and sometimes food rains from the sky!"  I sing this for my SO's entertainment, not the giraffees'.
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 04:46:24 pm »

I sing this for my SO's entertainment, not the giraffees'.
Occasionally, while reading bedtime stories to the daughter within earshot of my wife, I'll slip in some sophisticated phrasing about the hyper-PC nature of Care Bear interactions, or sexual tension between Fred and Daphne, or predatory yearnings lurking within Tigger.  This usually has the desired effect on Stacey, and sometimes prompts warnings about non-canon editorializing from the kid.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 04:56:45 pm »

Today I'm gonna dig into a dataset from an experiment I ran (or more accurately, had a colleague run) back in April.  Sometimes I get an idea for an experiment, then don't have time to analyze and summarize.  The trick is to get it done before I forget why I ran it in the first place.
I'll hopefully be able to finish training another colleague on an analytical procedure so I can foist more work off onto her.
Later, TKD in preparation for a testing session coming up at the end of August - I'm hoping to drop another 5 pounds or so to enable something approaching a decent height in leaping kicks.  I feel like I'm barely getting off the floor these days.
I'll continue my advanced life support efforts on my home PC for an hour or so before bedtime.  After upgrading the video card and replacing the power supply with a 550W Antec unit, it looks like a video card driver is causing BSODs now. 

Edit: 666 posts!  Evil!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:58:59 pm by jaydub »
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 447
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 07:11:17 pm »

Today I'm barricaded inside my house, fearfully looking out an upstairs window searching the streets for Asher. Unfortunately I'm more or less unarmed, so I'll have to throw my 22 lb. cat out the window and hope it lands on his head, with the slashing claws and razor-sharp teeth.
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

• Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 07:47:12 pm »

Today is my day off and I'm going to apply for a job and look for opportunities to apply for a job so I can move someplace where the median housing price isn't over 600,000 and the milk isn't $5 a gallon on sale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 878   Go Up