My roommate who sold weed comes from a family who owns a personal helicopter that he took to high school occasionally.
Also he played a shit load of computer games, but was also cool in like a traditional way. Also, didn't do any other drugs except for coke and shrooms like once a month tops, though he was addicted to meth in high school, long before I knew him.
Also, they deal drugs because drugs are awesome and as such they have a demand and someone has to supply.
You should just tell him to watch the first season of the Wire or just find some great David Simon article and steal his points to make this guy look like a fool. This guy sounds like the hugest tool ever though. I have a college degree and it is almost impossible to find a job. I can't imagine some 18 year old on his/her own after high school trying to make it right now. Mainly due to over educated greedy douches from the ivy league who have been fuck*ng us since Reagan. Clinton, with time, seems more and more guilty (of selling our country to corporations and foreign countries who do better the worse we do, and the drug war, as an aside) everyday. Doesn't college just teach you how to process information? Especially something like philosophy. I mean, the actual facts/ info isn't important, it is learning to think. This guy seems like he missed that part.
Also, today I realized that the Rolling Stones were fuck*ng amazing before Brian Jones died. Especially Between the Buttons (UK version, don't know even if there is a US version, but it said (UK) after it automatically in iTunes, so I can assume. It is probably good too, but I cannot speak for it.)