Wasn't that basically the American auto industry's business plan for like the past 40 years or so? How's that working out for them?
Same with Apple (don't get me wrong, I've loved my iPods, but still), most cell phone providers/manufacturers, Dell, TV makers... Pretty much I have had 4 products my entire life that were sturdy and well-built, functional and attractive: a GE alarm clock radio I've had for at the very least two decades (which really is kind of ugly, but functional and all that), a JVC stereo I bought like 12 years ago and still use, a 1989 Honda Accord and a 2002 Honda Civic -- my current vehicle, which has had its share of problems but it's still going strong and I drive it a lot. Also most problems are due to things beyond my and Honda's control.
Speaking of, I rented a car to drive to St. George, UT this weekend and pretty much got fucked by everyone I came into contact with at Enterprise. Basically I'd be haggling over $20 to $25, but it's the principle, right? Also, it's the $20 to $25. In fact I am really fuck*ng pissed, because I was basically lied to, and I assume it was because the dickwad who checked me in profited from it. I'm deciding whether I should drop it, calmly but assertively escalate it to someone who can and is willing to work with me, or raise hell.
Related to the situation there, if you didn't catch the live broadcast of the This American Life program "Return to the Scene of the Crime" beamed to your local theater a few weeks back or hear the
radio rebroadcast soon after, Mike Birbiglia tells a wonderful and infuriating story about a situation that of course makes mine look like peanuts, if there was any doubt. It's the first act of the program (after the prologue). I can't decide whether the conclusion of the story inspires respect for the man or disappointment. Whatever your thoughts are of the outcome, he is an engaging storyteller and it's worth the short time it takes. Dan Savage's contribution is, of course, brilliant. As is Starlee Kine's, although I can't tell if that was part of the rebroadcast. It would be better on screen because she is adorable.
Lastly, the great Onion
piece lampooning TAL. Ira Glass talked about it somewhere -- maybe here:
this episode, and admitted that it kind of stung, though it may have been somewhere else. One thing I like about Ira is that he obviously thinks a lot of himself, and can be candid about how he feels when he's criticized or mocked. TAL is a huge part of his life's work and is what he'll be remembered for, and while he's not above self-deprecation, he's also kind of sensitive and not afraid to admit it. It you listen to the TAL act on the Onion, am I the only one that compiles, mentally and sometimes written down, potential Onion headlines?
Oh, and to stay on topic, what did I do today? I saw Flight of the Conchords in Vegas last night (meh, if I hadn't been drunk enough) and then declined a ride back to St. George (where my rental car and all my shit was) because even though I'm fat and turning 30 and can and will party till 5 AM, and walked at least 6 miles all along the Strip losing more money and getting drunker and propositioned by some hookers, and one of those guys that give out those cards with naked ladies on them asked if I wanted to see a ... DONKEY SHOW! what the fuck, got foot blisters, fucked up my knees, took a cab to the airport and a shuttle to St. George. And of course, on 3 hours sleep and still probably a bit drunk, drove to SLC to return my rental car to the dickwads at Enterprise. I'm not complaining, because all of these problems are mostly due to me being a dumbfuck. I'm just venting.