on second thought, I would want to give my kid a crazy Hispanic name like my aunt did with my cousins. I have always liked "Ignacio" (which is the name of... a distant cousin? I think?). Horacio,my grandfather's name, is also awesome. He was named after an ocean liner his dad had an affair on.
For a girl, Dejanira (Sp?) which is my mom's middle name. I have always loved the sound of that.
Bizarrely, out of all of my cousins and my own family, the two with "Hispanic" names are the two with "Hispanic" features. This is a coincidence.
Also, apparently the older one has developed a really thick Mexican accent because his babysitter has one.
"mama`! Juwanaeet one?"
"what?"
"juwanaeet one?"
"Do I want to eat one of your cheerios?"
"yeah! juwan one?"
"yes, I would like one."
I find the concept that my family, who for all appearances are an upper-class-ish highly educated white family, has any level of race issues... really interesting.
My friends were shocked when I told them that i checked both "Caucasian" and "Hispanic" on college applications, SATs and such. My mother was shocked and pissed when I said I felt uncomfortable doing so. When they said to only check one, I checked Caucasian because I didn't want to feel like I was tricking them.
Not to mention my grandparents (especially my grandmother) the whole gross obsession with being Light Skinned and not having any (insert crude spanish word for native chilean) blood.
damn, the whole race thing is so fucked up. So weird. So weird. I love how something which is basically a fake concept is so important to so many people.
OK, but, the real question: people with kids, how much do you worry about other people who share your child's name? I find, even when naming characters in games (The Sims!), that i feel strange using the name of someone I know. Because there's always that little bit of "oh, god, not Ben, that Ben guy in Middle School was an idiot" or "oh, no, Erin would think I was naming the kid after her" or what have you.