Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348237 times)

0 Members and 202 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #525 on: September 13, 2007, 12:35:10 am »

Quote
Theinev: Thirsty all the time? Does that have to do with drinking alcohol at college? From what I have been told by my doctor, most people are dehydrated because they just don't drink enough plain water. Coffee and other caffeinated bev are diuretics. Drinking 2-3 liters of water a day is normal, and more if you exercise a lot or live in hot weather.

If it doesn't go away, maybe you should mention it to your doctor the next time you go. Have you ever had your blood sugar checked? Does diabetes run in your family?

I drink almost only water. 2-3 liters is probably more than I drink. I'm just... almost constantly thirsty.

I don't drink alcohol except on the weekends, so, I don't think that's it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #526 on: September 13, 2007, 01:45:33 am »

I'm just... almost constantly thirsty.

Look out! DIABEETUS!
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #527 on: September 13, 2007, 02:46:19 am »

There are other symptoms that go with diabetes.  Like, for instance, peeing all the time even though you're always thirsty.  Simple dehydration would result in less peeing, not more.  Also, excessive sleepiness or headaches, especially after a starchy meal.  And Type II diabetes doesn't usually show up in adults until they reach middle age.  It's not generally associated with underweight college students.  So you probably don't have anything to worry about, inev.  Drink more water.  You'll be fine. 

Education. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #528 on: September 13, 2007, 02:54:01 am »

Quote
.  Like, for instance, peeing all the time even though you're always thirsty.  Simple dehydration would result in less peeing, not more.  Also, excessive sleepiness or headaches, especially after a starchy meal.

see, this kind of applies. Except the sleepiness is just... all the time. And no headaches.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #529 on: September 13, 2007, 03:06:04 am »

see, this kind of applies. Except the sleepiness is just... all the time. And no headaches.

You know what'll fix that? More boy-on-boy action.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #530 on: September 13, 2007, 04:10:33 am »

You know what'll fix that? More boy-on-boy action.

Yay! 

But seriously.

I don't know... being sleepy is the standard state of someone attending a post secondary institution isn't it?

Is the place you're living dry?  Lots of old dorms, classrooms, etc. are quite dry by nature.   Especially if there's a lot of old/dry wood in the architecture and or furniture.  This also goes for new structures with super efficient heating and cooling systems.  Is your skin also dried out?  Throat sore, nose crusty?  Are you mistaking dry eyes for a feeling of being sleepy?  These were all problems the SO and I had to deal with in our new home due to it's ultra efficient heat return ventilation system.  Maybe pick up a cheap humidistat, and find out if the space you live in, particularly the area where you sleep, is too dry.  If so, a small humidifier next to your bed at night will probably solve things up nicely.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #531 on: September 13, 2007, 04:23:16 am »

yes, the place I live is very dry-- but I've been feeling like this to one level or another all summer.
I was sleepy all year last year, true. but this year my classes are all later, and I've been going to sleep earlier...
for the first two weeks, I was awesomely energized, woke up before my alarm almost every day... now, no. Now I wake up 5 minutes before I have to leave for class, just like last year.


Today, I had some classes and such. Went to Taco Bell. Did linguistics homework.
 I planned all day for my first radio broadcast. Unfortunately, it was last night. OOPS. The schedule got changed around right before the deadline, and I didn't think to check it again. Damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #532 on: September 13, 2007, 04:52:44 am »

There are other symptoms that go with diabetes.  Like, for instance, peeing all the time even though you're always thirsty.  Simple dehydration would result in less peeing, not more.  Also, excessive sleepiness or headaches, especially after a starchy meal.  And Type II diabetes doesn't usually show up in adults until they reach middle age.  It's not generally associated with underweight college students.  So you probably don't have anything to worry about, inev.  Drink more water.  You'll be fine. 

Education. 

The reason why I asked about theinev's BGL is because it CAN happen to underweight college students. One of my friends was scrawny and very athletic. He was out playing tennis when his doctor reviewed his labs and freaked the hell out, and the doctor had someone go get him. His blood glucose levels were at 700, and even though he appeared fine he still had an endocrine disorder (diabetes). Having all that sugar floating around does serious damage to bodily organs. It's not just obese middle aged people who get diabetes.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #533 on: September 13, 2007, 04:54:42 am »

Today Milan made a break for it and ran outside my room! Fortunately he doesn't move that fast and I was able to scoop him up and carry him back inside. I have a rather large apartment (three interconnected rooms that take up most of the second level of the house) and the boys aren't allowed to go downstairs because my roommate has gorgeous, expensive furniture and I don't want the cats to scratch it up.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #534 on: September 13, 2007, 05:47:31 am »

The reason why I asked about theinev's BGL is because it CAN happen to underweight college students.

I think more important to this diagnosis, inev, does your pee smell sweet? 
Logged

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #535 on: September 13, 2007, 10:53:11 am »

Never mind the smell, how does it taste? Pleasant? Would it be marketable as a beverage? Inevajuice, the sensationally sweet swill, get it while it's luke-warm.

I'm constantly thirsty & tired as well, but I think that's more the drinking coffee all day and booze every night. I hope you aint got diabetes, man. That would be no fun, particularly for a young fellow like yourself. My fingers are crossed on your behalf.

Today I am going to be hungry until I go home, as the bloody canteen at work is closed for ramadan. Then tonight, I'm going to celebrate the start of this most auspicious holy season (as well as the weekend) by getting drunk and watching the Omega Man or Brazil. Unless I get asked out somewhere, in which case I'll jump for joy at actually having the beginnings of a social life. Maybe I should do the asking out?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #536 on: September 13, 2007, 01:28:55 pm »

Today I begin an intensive process of re-writing a play I wrote for kids.  It's not my best work, and honestly, if it weren't for the money, I don't think I'd be doing this one.  But oh well.  My dramaturge is pretty fun, so I suppose I can enjoy this on a personal level anyway.  It's all crammed into a 7 day period, so when I'm not at my regular theatre gig, I'll be cramming.  I'm gonna be totally drained by this time next week.  I'm trying really hard to focus on good self care by eating right and getting to bed early, but it's damn hard when I'm so busy and stressed.  And oh yeah... writing a play about a class of elementary school students dealing with their teacher dying...  Who's got depression?  I do.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #537 on: September 13, 2007, 04:00:24 pm »

yeah, um, basically it has to be due to this place being so dry. It is really freaking dry. Until I started taking Wal-itin (Walgreens off-brand claritin) every night I woke up every morning all stuffed up and dried out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #538 on: September 13, 2007, 08:29:58 pm »

Wal-itin (Walgreens off-brand claritin)

I was so happy the day I learned that claritin doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #539 on: September 13, 2007, 08:32:11 pm »

The reason why I asked about theinev's BGL is because it CAN happen to underweight college students. One of my friends was scrawny and very athletic. He was out playing tennis when his doctor reviewed his labs and freaked the hell out, and the doctor had someone go get him. His blood glucose levels were at 700, and even though he appeared fine he still had an endocrine disorder (diabetes). Having all that sugar floating around does serious damage to bodily organs. It's not just obese middle aged people who get diabetes.

I cede the argument to the EMT with the quite apparently superior knowledge. 

I have a lot of diabetes in my family, and had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant the first time.  I think inev should definitely be checked out, if only to rule out the possibility of a serious problem.  I just don't want him to be all worried, especially if he has no family history of type II diabetes.  I know it *can* happen, but it seems relatively unlikely in my admittedly under-informed opinion. 

That said, don't take medical advice from imaginary people on the internet.  Get checked out and, hopefully, breathe a sigh of relief when your doctor looks at you cockeyed and says, "what the hell, dude?  You're totally fine." 

Who have you been with, my son?
Nobody, nobody!
Then how can you have gonorrhea?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 878   Go Up