Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349730 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #555 on: September 17, 2007, 11:47:27 pm »

today, I realized that whatever Tonsil Problem I had has gone mostly away, although they still look gross. 2 classes, typed up some CD reviews, went to Walgreens with my friend.

last night, I read a ton for homework. Apparently, I completely misunderstood like 5 major plot points in The Bicycle Thieves.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2007, 01:58:59 am »

Oh, man, The Bicycle Thief. Such a depression-bomb of a movie.

Also, speaking as someone with really big tonsils (seriously, every pediatrician I ever had brought this up), tonsils pretty much always look gross. They are crazy little flesh wads.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #557 on: September 18, 2007, 02:11:01 am »

Yikes.  I didn't know that particular bug had raised it's blood-soaked head again.  Could you imagine the media frenzy that 166 deaths out of 372 cases would stir up in the US?  I just did a quick fact check on that - the closest thing we have to it is Dengue fever.  Sixteen people contracted in Texas last year (presumably on the Gulf coast).  None died - although the experience probably sucked.  "Breakbone fever".

Yeah, it started up again in about April.  Estimates indicate there are about 400 infected, but it's hard to say at this point.  There's at least 5 cases of officially confirmed Ebola in the region - apparently there's a lot of other health problems that mimic it.  Hopefully when they get their mobile lab set up it turns out to be smaller and more contained than 400... because 400 is way too scary a number.  I didn't want to upset my bud, but... if it's bad, I'm pretty sure they'll want to keep him out there.  Back in April there was talk of him going out of 3 months, but it's best not to remind her of these things right now.  Him going, all by itself, is way too scary for her at this point, so I was just trying to keep things optimistic and not ask too many questions.  It's scary shit.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2007, 02:18:41 am »

Quote
Oh, man, The Bicycle Thief. Such a depression-bomb of a movie.

Also, speaking as someone with really big tonsils (seriously, every pediatrician I ever had brought this up), tonsils pretty much always look gross. They are crazy little flesh wads.

yeah, except the thing about them that is gross right now is... big white spots.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:44 am »

Okay, that is an abnormal gross thing, certainly.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #560 on: September 18, 2007, 09:05:48 am »

Today... tonight I stayed at work until 7 o'clock because my new extraction protocol for some dried blood spots involves cutting them out by hand and weighing them rather than using the hole punch we used to use. Also acetonitrile takes too damn long to evaporate.
Don't get me wrong, I'm into this project and am happy to do what it takes to get it to work but these late nights are getting a bit to regular, I'm going to have to start planning out my days better.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #561 on: September 18, 2007, 01:08:58 pm »

Doc, what the heck do you do for a living?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #562 on: September 18, 2007, 01:53:48 pm »

Today I'm gonna delete a bunch of spam threads from the Wild Card forum
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #563 on: September 18, 2007, 02:47:36 pm »

Today I'm gonna delete a bunch of spam threads from the Wild Card forum

I missed those. Was it anything good?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #564 on: September 18, 2007, 03:25:28 pm »

I missed those. Was it anything good?

No, just somebody selling some crappy software. And you know it was classy because instead of going to some lame store you just e-mail this person. At Hotmail. Oo-la-la.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #565 on: September 18, 2007, 03:59:49 pm »

No, just somebody selling some crappy software. And you know it was classy because instead of going to some lame store you just e-mail this person. At Hotmail. Oo-la-la.

It's the personal service that attracts me.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #566 on: September 18, 2007, 04:11:52 pm »

Damn it, I go away for five minutes and when I come back the excellent deals on embroidery software have been deleted.

Where am I going to get my embroidery software now?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2007, 11:19:34 pm »

today, I think I overheard one of my roommates telling our friend that if she does pot, it will ruin her life and she'll become a horrible person, drop out of college, etc.

I want to write her a note telling her he is full of shit, but first I feel like I need to make sure that that is actually what I overheard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #568 on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:03 am »

Doc, what the heck do you do for a living?

I'm a research assistant working for a group that's trying to work up an assay where we detect amounts of vitamin D in blood spotted on filter paper and dried, the kind that gets made from heel pricks when you're born. It's femtomolar amounts of vit D (read: crazy tiny if that doesn't mean shit to you) so we're really paranoid about getting the preparation right.
If we get it working soon we get 6000 samples from Denmark that are linked to medical records so we can see if pre-natal vitamin D deficiency causes any long term effects (spoiler: we think it does).
 
Today I'm gonna delete a bunch of spam threads from the Wild Card forum
Service with a smile. Though I must admit to being a little disappointed, I was hoping it would all link up with the knitting thread.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #569 on: September 19, 2007, 03:24:12 pm »

...be late for work because I was posting here.  So dumb.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 878   Go Up