Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348109 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #600 on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:12 pm »

Better yet, call your best friend and convince her (or him) to rent the same movie and watch it with you over the phone.  It is like a pajama party except that you don't have to clean your apartment or blow up the airbed. 

Do we still have a chat room? We should do this in the chat room sometime.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #601 on: September 23, 2007, 04:15:00 am »

Drove back from Tulsa after getting plastered there last night.  Played Mario Tennis.  Taught my roommates pit bull how to make it look like he was attacking me when some friends came over.  Now, Drink a couple guinness' and read about Eisenhower and Truman's strategies during the Cold War for my capstone. 

Graduation in December!!!  That is all I can think about---so tired of college.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:19:37 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #602 on: September 23, 2007, 04:46:12 am »

Eisenhower rocks!  He's one of the three GOP presidents I actually respect.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #603 on: September 23, 2007, 06:50:24 am »

Yeah, I agree completely.  Basically what a real military man should be.


Are the other two Roosevelt and Lincoln?

edit:  Teddy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 12:59:21 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #604 on: September 23, 2007, 02:47:14 pm »

Yeah, I agree completely.  Basically what a real military man should be.


Are the other two Roosevelt and Lincoln?

edit:  Teddy

DING!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #605 on: September 23, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »

I just got home from a weekend in the mountains on a retreat. It was nice, but waaaaay too much social interaction. I want to sit here in my Somebody nice-bubble now and spend time with Milan and Lennybruce. Bah. I hate being around tons and tons of people I ain't know.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #606 on: September 24, 2007, 02:23:50 am »

Wait, isn't NIH on the Metro? You might not have to drive at all if you worked it right.  Although if you live farther out most of the metro stops are the sort that you drive to rather than walk to, but at least that's less driving.

Towns that are more or less adjacent to where NIH is are Bethesda and Chevy Chase, which are expensive. I think Rockville itself stretches pretty far north - I think there are parts of close-in Silver Spring that are closer to NIH than places that are legally in Rockville, and might be cheaper.

I think it must be tough to live in this area on 60,000. I don't know about home price statistics, but if you're searching, it might help to know that the towns are in Montgomery County.

Wikipedia said 60K but the jobs I'm looking at are 80K. We already checked out the home prices. Don't forget where I live now! Most places are cheaper, most of the rest are about the same - anyone know anything about Gaithersburg or Olney?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #607 on: September 24, 2007, 02:55:24 am »

What do you want to know? They are big suburbs. I often read reviews of restaurants in Gaithersburg that I would go to if they weren't so far away. I suspect that the commute from there would be rather congested.

You don't need to buy a house right away, though, right? You could rent for a while until you get the lay of the land.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #608 on: September 24, 2007, 01:29:25 pm »

What do you want to know? They are big suburbs. I often read reviews of restaurants in Gaithersburg that I would go to if they weren't so far away. I suspect that the commute from there would be rather congested.

You don't need to buy a house right away, though, right? You could rent for a while until you get the lay of the land.

I thought Gaithersburg was fairly far out, but then I'm pretty hazy on MD geography. Renting for a year to get a feel for things would be my first thought, unless you don't like the idea of having the kids changing schools that many times.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #609 on: September 24, 2007, 03:37:14 pm »

Don't forget where I live now!
I'd think the culture shock of going from E' komo mai!, to Who you lookin' at? or from Polynesian Time to East Coast Fast Forward would be causing you more apprehension.  Why not split the difference and look in the West?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #610 on: September 25, 2007, 04:05:27 pm »

Today at 8 AM I had a job interview.  At 11, they called to offer it to me.  They want me to decide by tomorrow.

So today I'm going to figure out what the hell to do.  And bring it up with my boss, who will freak the hell out.

It's a good offer, not a jump-out-of-your-chair-holy-shit offer.

I've been thinking for weeks if not months "I'm sick of it here, I really need to make a change."  But suddenly I'm all "Change is SCARY!  Don't know what to DO!"

ohhhhh shiiiiiiiiiit
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2007, 04:52:48 pm »

I like to think of job change decisions in this way:

Could the unknown quantity (new job) be any worse than the known quantity (current job)? 

If not...it's probably worth the risk. 

JMHO, YMMV, etc. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2007, 05:52:04 pm »

JL's assessment technique is good too. If the offering company meets the basic criteria [stable company, interesting to you, decent salary, OK people, OK commute, reasonable position expectations] while offering some change and potential now is the time to do it.

QFT.

On the other hand, I had the conversation with my boss, and he was basically "What do you want?  I'll give you whatever you want to keep you."  I am having trouble articulating what I want, though.  I want to say "I don't know what I want, I just know it's not this."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2007, 07:02:26 pm »

Well, it's nice of your boss to ask, but it sounds like you do know exactly what you want - it's 'not this,' and that's the one thing he can't give you and the other place can.

But congratulations, either way.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #614 on: September 26, 2007, 07:10:45 am »

Jeez, poor you and poor Asherbaby! That sounds horrible. I hope they can figure out what is ailing the little guy. One of my friends has such bad acid reflux disease that he had to have a Nissen funduplication...and both his kids (little girl is 2 years old, little boy is 8 months) have acid reflux too.

Today I got a haircut and had my hair blown out (that's when the hairdresser uses a brush and hairdryer to straighten it... God, it's fabulous. If I were rich I'd pay a lady to come in and style my hair every day. That would be sheer luxury. I always fuck it up every time when I try to blow it out myself). I also attended a presentation about human trafficking that made me feel like I'd been punched in the stomach. 
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 878   Go Up