Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349762 times)

0 Members and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #645 on: October 02, 2007, 02:32:13 am »

when I get back my Political Theory paper and he has torn my argument to shreds... I might cry. he's an awesome guy, but he's known for absolutely destroying people's papers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #646 on: October 02, 2007, 08:02:49 pm »

Basically I think this would really take off here. It is an unofficial tradition around here to use all of your unused meal plan meals at chik-fil-a or quiznos at the end of the semester (christmas time) and leave bags and bags of free chicken sammiches at the local homeless hangout.
Dudes gotta eat and I gotta justify my existence. win, win, win.

Last time I was in DC I gave a package of Dibs (bite-sized ice cream in magic shell) to a homeless guy on the lawn of the National Dance Museum.  I gave it to him because my two year old asked for it, then rejected it.  I felt sort of bad about it, being a bastion of American wastefulness and all, but it was really hot and the guy seemed sort of pleased to be offered something besides a Subway sandwich or a Big Mac.  So I thought maybe there was a higher purpose in my son's unexpected finickiness after all. 

The PB&Js for the homeless sounds...sketchy.  But if it weren't for rich college students, who *would* feed the hungry? 

Christians?  Fat chance. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #647 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:27 pm »

Today executive management informed me that I may add minions to my budding empire. Specifically, 3 minions and a henchman.

It has begun...

He Heh Heh heh heh ehhhh heh!


I can never remember, is a henchman over a minion or below? I need to bone-up on my Legions of Terror hierarchy.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #648 on: October 02, 2007, 08:39:54 pm »

I believe a henchman is closer, someone you may take into your confidence.  Thus a henchman ranks higher than a minion, as you just send minions forth to do your bidding.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #649 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:03 pm »

What about lackeys?  Are they like, house-bound minions?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #650 on: October 02, 2007, 09:48:19 pm »

I thought that a minion is someone with actual individual abilities and talents that is simply subservient to you...

Whereas a henchman is pretty much just a skill-less warm body. For living and punching and data entry and so on.

The Baroness is Cobra Commander's minion.

A dude named Laurel or Hardy who is big and punches things for the Joker is a henchman.

A lackey is LIKE a henchman... but a non-generic henchman. Like a nepotism-placed henchman.

Like if you were in the Memphis Mafia because Elvis hired you as muscle, you were a henchman.

If you were in the Memphis Mafia because you were Elvis's cousin or childhood friend, you were a lackey.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #651 on: October 02, 2007, 09:54:49 pm »

I think the Baroness was more of a Trusted Lieutenant because she could use her own judgment about non-trivial matters.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #652 on: October 02, 2007, 09:58:32 pm »

I would certainly at least describe her as a Capo.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #653 on: October 02, 2007, 10:01:38 pm »

Fair enough. Hm.

Okay, okay, this might be more clear.

Bebop and Rockstead were minions, Foot Soldiers were henchmen.

Minions get individual names and have some kind of talents, henchmen get a group name at best.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #654 on: October 02, 2007, 10:07:42 pm »

The PB&Js for the homeless sounds...sketchy.  But if it weren't for rich college students, who *would* feed the hungry? 

Christians?  Fat chance. 

JL, that stung. I must mention that the group that I volunteer with does all kinds of outreach programs, including helping to feed the hungry. In this country and others. You are correct, however, that Christians can and should do more. However, we already do a LOT to help feed the hungry. But yes, room for improvement since there are fatass Americans throwing up food like in a god damned Roman vomitorium (as well as throwing it away) while people die of starvation. Also, our government destroys huge stores of crops each year to maintain the supply/demand and price fixes on crops...even though that food could be shipped to places like Zimbabwe, where they have fuck*ng run out of bread and flour.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #655 on: October 02, 2007, 10:28:37 pm »

It also pays farmers not to grow food - but neither of those things are humanitarian sins. If American farmers had to sell their crops for free market value, they'd all go out of business.  Then we'd all starve.  Agribusiness has gotten way out of balance thanks to government intervention. BUT...even if we shipped all our surplus food to Zimbabwe it would rot in the docks because the government there is so corrupt and incompetent.  Mugabe and his cronies would sooner burn it than acknowledge their basket case economy is the doing of the government.

Also, our government destroys huge stores of crops each year to maintain the supply/demand and price fixes on crops...even though that food could be shipped to places like Zimbabwe, where they have fuck*ng run out of bread and flour.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #656 on: October 02, 2007, 10:46:56 pm »

It also pays farmers not to grow food - but neither of those things are humanitarian sins. If American farmers had to sell their crops for free market value, they'd all go out of business.  Then we'd all starve.  Agribusiness has gotten way out of balance thanks to government intervention. BUT...even if we shipped all our surplus food to Zimbabwe it would rot in the docks because the government there is so corrupt and incompetent.  Mugabe and his cronies would sooner burn it than acknowledge their basket case economy is the doing of the government.

Right, government exists (in part) to protect the food supply, hence government price fixes on crops. But donating food wouldn't kill the price of commodities...although then some people would probably argue that it would be morally wrong for "the weak" to subsist or depend on "American handouts". And yes, Zimbabwe's government is hell of corrupt. It is just...perverse...that we live in a world where perfectly good food is thrown away or burnt instead of giving it to the hungry because of politics.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #657 on: October 03, 2007, 12:49:05 am »

It is just...perverse...that we live in a world where perfectly good food is thrown away or burnt instead of giving it to the hungry because of politics.
Agreed.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #658 on: October 03, 2007, 01:03:14 am »

Henchman: strong, dumb
Lackey: Weak, ineffective
Minion: conniving
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #659 on: October 03, 2007, 02:22:22 am »

Today I'm Gonna... (Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007)

Go have coffee with the cutest boy ever. I'm so excited. He is a mapping geek like meeeee! We both love Eddie Izzard! He's cute and intelligent and well-read and likes great music!! Seriously. He is incredible. Intarwub dating, I know I lambasted you in the past, but even just that one date with this guy last Saturday more than made up for it.

Now i have to go to bed because nerves about today's job interview (which went awesomely) meant I only got four hours' sleep last night. I'm hell of tired. G'night.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 878   Go Up