Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348240 times)

0 Members and 202 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #705 on: October 10, 2007, 04:40:40 pm »

today I woke up just now. 20 minutes before I need to leave.

I woke up, and my alarm clock was still set to go off at 11 AM, still turned on, had batteries, etc. This happens to me constantly. I have tried buying new alarm clocks, using my cell phone alarm, etc.

wtf?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #706 on: October 10, 2007, 08:11:23 pm »

I've managed to not see MIA twice because of visa issues.

She's coming to Portland soon.  I'm not even going to bother trying.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #707 on: October 10, 2007, 10:20:39 pm »

today I woke up just now. 20 minutes before I need to leave.

I woke up, and my alarm clock was still set to go off at 11 AM, still turned on, had batteries, etc. This happens to me constantly. I have tried buying new alarm clocks, using my cell phone alarm, etc.

wtf?

I'm trying to remember what it was like to have to set an alarm to get up at 11 AM.  Man, I'm old. 

Also, today, while trying to get to my OB/GYN's office, I saw this:



Needless to say, I had to find an alternate route. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #708 on: October 10, 2007, 10:21:32 pm »

today I woke up just now. 20 minutes before I need to leave.

I woke up, and my alarm clock was still set to go off at 11 AM, still turned on, had batteries, etc. This happens to me constantly. I have tried buying new alarm clocks, using my cell phone alarm, etc.

wtf?
Get your ears checked?  Go to bed earlier so you're not so exhausted you sleep through?  Are your roommates still talking to you?  I abused mine when they slept through their alarms (since I cleverly never took a class before 9am if I could help it, they were always getting up before me - which is completely defeated if their doggam alarm wakes me and not them).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #709 on: October 10, 2007, 10:27:18 pm »

Get your ears checked?  Go to bed earlier so you're not so exhausted you sleep through?  Are your roommates still talking to you?  I abused mine when they slept through their alarms (since I cleverly never took a class before 9am if I could help it, they were always getting up before me - which is completely defeated if their doggam alarm wakes me and not them).
Word.
Dan has a single this year so he probably just annoys the people in the rooms next to him.
I also have a single because last year my roommate would do the same thing which inevitably resulted in this explosion:
::Throws "THE ROAD TO WAR - HITLER'S MARCH" at roommate's head::
"NEEL, DO YOU REALIZE THAT DESPITE YOUR ALARM NOT WAKING YOU UP, IT MAY WORK ON OTHER PEOPLE IN THE ROOM? YOU KNOW YOURE NOT GETTING UP, I KNOW YOURE NOT GETTING UP, SO STOP HITTING THE fuck*ng SNOOZE BUTTON"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #710 on: October 10, 2007, 10:27:43 pm »

I'm trying to remember what it was like to have to set an alarm to get up at 11 AM.  Man, I'm old. 

Also, today, while trying to get to my OB/GYN's office, I saw this:


That looks like an imperial star destroyer nose-diving into the Death Star (or terra-firma-North Carolina).

Gas main fire?  With a crane in the background?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #711 on: October 10, 2007, 10:47:47 pm »

Oh, yes.  Explanation would probably be appreciated. 

A crewman working on the road drilled into a gas main, which ignited the fumes from a nearby truck.  Hundred foot flames, burned for six hours, no injuries, yadda yadda. 

Latest News

It was kind of neat to see up close, actually -- especially knowing now that nobody was hurt.  Kind of beautiful, in its way. 

The way of fiery, burning death. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #712 on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:16 pm »

Quote
Get your ears checked?  Go to bed earlier so you're not so exhausted you sleep through?  Are your roommates still talking to you?  I abused mine when they slept through their alarms (since I cleverly never took a class before 9am if I could help it, they were always getting up before me - which is completely defeated if their doggam alarm wakes me and not them).

No, see, they all have classes earlier than me. For some reason WashU feels the need to add insult to injury, and make Bio-Mechanical Chemical-Systemic Math be an 8 AM class. Whereas, you know, Intro to Political Theory is at 4 PM.

I have actually been getting enough sleep for most of this year. Which is... weird and surprising.

Also: tonight, after I go to a meeting for the radio station, I am going to see Ted Leo and the Pharmacists for free.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #713 on: October 10, 2007, 11:33:41 pm »

Today I had to trim Milan's claws, and we reached a new all-time-low record: he only let me trim 2 claws before running away. sigh. I feel horribly guilty about trimming his claws because his little back is so bad. I have to hold him (gently) on his back, on my lap, in order to trim his claws. I always worry that I'm hurting him. Poor little dude.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #714 on: October 10, 2007, 11:49:58 pm »

I always worry that I'm hurting him.

That's what he wants you to think, you know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #715 on: October 11, 2007, 12:57:24 am »

No, see, they all have classes earlier than me. For some reason WashU feels the need to add insult to injury, and make Bio-Mechanical Chemical-Systemic Math be an 8 AM class.

In general, the type of people who take those classes don't really sleep, so much as they simply exist. Next time you're there, take a look around. Odds are, you don't fit in with the general make-up of the class.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #716 on: October 11, 2007, 02:39:09 am »

No, see, they all have classes earlier than me. For some reason WashU feels the need to add insult to injury, and make Bio-Mechanical Chemical-Systemic Math be an 8 AM class. Whereas, you know, Intro to Political Theory is at 4 PM.

I think this is a thing typical of higher learning institutions. My first uni lecture was chemistry 8am monday, this was a trend that continued for three years. Meanwhile my brother's business and mass communication classes rarely require him to get up pre-noon.

Kind of beautiful, in its way. 

The way of fiery, burning death. 
There's another way?
Now you're getting me all hot and bothered.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #717 on: October 11, 2007, 04:25:42 am »

It is.  All of my History classes are in the afternoon, whereas my engineering friends all have class at like 8 am. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #718 on: October 11, 2007, 05:01:01 am »

Quote
In general, the type of people who take those classes don't really sleep, so much as they simply exist. Next time you're there, take a look around. Odds are, you don't fit in with the general make-up of the class.

...Why would I wake up early to go visit their class? That is not happening. I'm happy with my Noon film class, thank you very much.

also: I feel like it makes me some kind of Major Hipster Douchebag that I keep walking out of concerts after 40 minutes. In the past 6 months or so: Ratatat, Tilly and the Wall, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Animal Collective. Oops?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #719 on: October 11, 2007, 08:27:03 am »

I'm preparing myself for maybe doing that at the New Pornographers show I'm going to soon, but that's because the Gentleman Caller has never heard them before and seems likely to get the vapors.

In thread-normal terms: yesterday, I bought tickets to see the New Pornographers with the Gentleman Caller in Boston towards the end of the month.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 878   Go Up