Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349283 times)

0 Members and 182 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1155 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:19 pm »

Not really. I like cars and making them go fast. I still wish I hadn't let go the  '80 Chevy Malibu w/ the 305ci that I redid the suspension on and added a 3k stall torque converter too and then swapped out the tranny for a THM-350. When I toted the old one into Dick's Speed in Simi they already had one rebuilt on the shelf with mated cones and a hard shift kit in some dude hadn't picked up so I plunked down the ca$h and walked right out with it. Goddam car looked like a family sedan and would straight out go. I also took a '74 Chevy C-10 short bed and pulled the 250ci straight six and dropped in a 283. Then I pulled the column shift and dropped a Hurst kit in the floor to a new Saginaw 3 speed I rebuilt. 4.11 Dana rear end and it would go like a scalded cat up to about 60mph.

Short version is, I like cars and I like fast so my response wasn't some damn stereotype being propagated.

[deleted personal curse-down]

No foul intent, just trying to bring the funny(and failing as usual)

I just have never been into the cars that drive in circles. I mean, I understand its appeal, but it is a rudimentary understanding, like how a cat understands television.

Which is to say, not at all. I just bat at the screen, and then stalk away with head held high and nary a backward glance, claiming a moral victory.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1156 on: December 05, 2007, 11:21:28 pm »

Man, I hate to interrupt the discussion of making cars go around, but I just got out of my meeting with my thesis adviser and I've got all this nervous energy. 

Basically it looks like with some massive restructuring and the addition of about ten to fifteen pages worth of writing, my thesis will be done by New Year's.  Then I can defend it the second week in January, assuming I don't spontaneously go into labor before then.  If I do, well, at least the writing will be done and I'll just have to clear my head long enough to defend it sometime before mid-March. 

The Prof reassured me that defenses are not that big a deal at NC State and that my material is very solid so I should have no problem talking about it with a group of professors who already know and like me.  Either way, the really stressful part is the writing, and that will probably be competed over the next four weeks.  So for better or for worse, this thing is getting done. 

*sigh* 

Now...to go do it. 


So I used to want to be a professor, but after my 35ish page capstone I have put those plans on hold.  How hard is it to get your masters/ doctorate?  I mean, I am so tired of school, but a BA in History isn't that helpful and I could take a couple years off and come back if I don't find a real sweet job. Like, is wanting to quit constantly part of the deal, or am I just not cut out for it?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1157 on: December 05, 2007, 11:36:44 pm »

Which is to say, not at all. I just bat at the screen, and then stalk away with head held high and nary a backward glance, claiming a moral victory.

I feel prominant display of your asshole should be involved here too.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1158 on: December 06, 2007, 01:07:50 am »

Yes, well, what happens in front of my television during nascar stays there.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1159 on: December 06, 2007, 03:56:48 am »


So I used to want to be a professor, but after my 35ish page capstone I have put those plans on hold.  How hard is it to get your masters/ doctorate?  I mean, I am so tired of school, but a BA in History isn't that helpful and I could take a couple years off and come back if I don't find a real sweet job. Like, is wanting to quit constantly part of the deal, or am I just not cut out for it?

I think constantly wanting to quit is part of the deal. 

I've been talked into not quitting more times than I can count...

...and that's just today. 

I'd recommend taking a couple of years off, though, and then going full-time (living off student loans if need be) and finishing in 2 - 3 years.  I've been working on my MA six years now and my clock is about to run out, which is a whole new kind of stress.  You want to be able to throw yourself at it and knock that bitch out ASAP. 

But Wombat might be the better resource on this.  She's the real academic here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1160 on: December 06, 2007, 04:08:15 am »

Today my Anthro professor got all choked up because he had to mention that we should show up to class early on Friday, as it is his last lecture ever, and a lot of former students have told him they're coming. It is apparently a lecture he is Known for around campus, too. there aren't enough seats half the time, even when there aren't extra people coming. This is largely because after an entire semester of classes, assholes do not get that they need to go all the way to the end of the row.
It is going to be a madhouse. I will probably end up sitting on the stairs.

On the other hand, my psych professor just put out a big ol' book which won some award (it is a huge, intimidating book), just got tenure, is getting invited to all these big events to give speeches, and just got a big grant to do a big research project. He is just getting to the good part of his career, and it is really exciting for him. Also he is a really cool guy. Today he told us that he doesn't have that high of expectations for our big final papers, as a lot of the material we've covered this semester has been pretty advanced, etc. He essentially said that a paper which summarizes the current state of research in our chosen topic would be just fine. I actually have a semi-interesting idea of two things to talk about which I think are related, so I should be set.

My film professor, too, is just getting to the fun part where he's printing a book and stuff. He also has a really gorgeous wife... we were all blown away, as he is this (cute?) little bald romanian man with thick glasses. he wears black turtle necks, has the crazy accent, specializes in the influence of Socialism and Anarchism on cinema in europe... he is like a big ol' adorable stereotype.

My linguistics professor basically said "if you study linguistics, do not even attempt to go into academia. too many people with doctorates, not enough positions by far. It blows." He is a cool guy, and is now my major advisor.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1161 on: December 06, 2007, 07:30:17 am »

At this point, I need more summary papers. This book review of our textbook is a little intimidating, as is the research project where I have to actually interpret, and not just recite.

But hey, I'm learning, go me.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1162 on: December 06, 2007, 07:46:11 am »

see, I've never had a paper before where I just had to regurgitate information. Which is why I was terrified of this paper until today.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1163 on: December 06, 2007, 03:10:26 pm »

My linguistics professor basically said "if you study linguistics, do not even attempt to go into academia. too many people with doctorates, not enough positions by far. It blows."

Quoted for hella truth.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1164 on: December 07, 2007, 12:04:52 am »

Today, I had my last class with my Political Theory professor, who is lovely. He is a great guy.

Also, it was snowing for a while, but now it has turned into icy rain.
Tonight I need to write a film paper comparing Il Posto and The Bicycle Thieves. It shouldn't be too bad, except the DVDs are at the library, and I can't check them out for more than 2 hours at a time. Oops? I just realized that the DVD of Il Posto is on 3 hour reserve, which means only 2 more people can check it out today, assuming everyone keeps it for the full 3 hours... and almost everyone in my class, of 13 people, is doing their paper on Il Posto... dang. issue.
so yeah, um, basically it was a normal day. I am eating some Amy's pesto pasta and it is hell of grelicious. I realized that I have too much money left in my cafeteria account, and it doesn't carry over, so I am buying a lot of chips and frozen dinners and stuff.

Update: being up so late writing such a shitty, easy paper is really lame. It just won't come out. I love both of these films, and I have so many ideas about what to say, but they won't come together into anything coherent. I am also not very observant, apparently. Film and Music are two things which I really like where... I will point something out, and people are blown away that I didn't notice it before. I got into an argument with someone the other day where she insisted it couldn't be true that I don't notice key changes or syncopation and can still play guitar. I mean, I could have ended the argument by pointing out that I play guitar badly but she would have thought I was just being a pain.

Also, i think I am giving up on fixating on real girls, I am going to just accept that my One True Love is Antoinetta in Il Posto. It was love at first sight.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:31:13 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1165 on: December 09, 2007, 08:17:12 am »

Today Im gonna study for finals which is always a blast. Complain about your jobs all you like, Ill be happy the day college exams are longer a part of my life. Also, I just felt a strange compulsion to edit the A-CAP article at uncyclopedia and when i looked at the page history, I saw that I had last edited the page at this exact minute, one year ago. http://uncyclopedia.org/index.php?title=New_York_University&action=history

Spook factor: 5.7
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1166 on: December 09, 2007, 09:08:12 am »

woke up at 2:30 to a text message, "do you want to go with me and my roomie to this party tonight" from my friend. The roomie being this girl I really like. I said no. Then, read Rousseau's Treatise on the Origins of Human Equality, took really badass notes, got super pumped-up and radicalized. Came back, ate dinner, studied human evolution, changed my mind and called and told her I'd go to the party. I went to her apartment, realized that the girl I like intimidates me to a degree which is ridiculous. Basically just because she acts all cool and indifferent every time she sees me, and I suddenly realize she probably doesn't have that much interest in me. got pissed at myself for being lame about this, got pissed at myself for wasting my time instead of studying, got upset/intimidated by friend of theirs who intimidates me was playing really cool songs he's written on guitar, told them I had to leave to study. I came back, opened a text document to start on my paper... stared at it for ten minutes... and then went and fucked around with some friends until now, 3 AM.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1167 on: December 10, 2007, 01:25:28 am »

woke up 5p.m. because yesterday I watched that boxing match then studied from like 2am to 530am.  I woke up at 3, but my clock was beeping noon, which means we lost power and it woke me up but I was too tires to notice the beeping. 

Now, I am trying to figure out whether or not I want to drive 30 minutes in freezing rain with ice covered streets to see Dinosaur Jr.  I mean, they are playing at a tiny venue and it is OKC, there will probably be like no one there, especially considering road conditions, which would be bad ass, as I love Lou Barlow.  On the other hand, to get there I have to drive through the shit.  Also, it is doing this thing were we basically have been having a really long (2 day) thunderstorm (normal for here), only it is really cold so it is sleet not rain, which is not normal, but kind of cool.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1168 on: December 10, 2007, 01:49:20 am »

I would probably go for it. But, you know, I love Dinosaur Jr, and would love seeing them in a small venue with no one there.


on the other hand; BE SAFE.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1169 on: December 10, 2007, 01:52:32 am »

I had a friend who was a huge Dinosaur Junior fan and she said to me, once:

"I had no idea David Bowie was a Dinosaur Junior fan."

It took me a long time to figure out that she meant that she believed DJR had originally written "Quicksand" and that Bowie had merely covered them.

I... kind of had no idea what to do.

On the one hand, I was sexually attracted to her as all hell.

On the other, my inner music nerd really wanted to burst out and be snotty.

I froze up, instead, in a very inev sorta way.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 878   Go Up