Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350123 times)

0 Members and 153 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1365 on: December 25, 2007, 07:36:34 pm »

Another shitty xmas for me - hey, boo to celebrating every fuck*ng holiday at work, eh? Especially when I'm filling in for some fuck who slimed his way out of it, even though he takes unscheduled time off all the fuck*ng time. Especially when I wanted my birthday off, which would have been pretty much my second unscheduled time off in the last 10 years, and I couldn't get it.

"Hey other guy? Who was supposed to be here working with me? Fuck you right in the fuck*ng ear."

I'll be right here working for xmas. And pissed about it. Sorry, enjoy your holiday however you do.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1366 on: December 25, 2007, 07:43:34 pm »

woke up at 9 (I guess my sister is really growing up, she used to wake us by 7 or 8 at the latest). Opened presents. Some DVDs, good books, Twilight Princess (my brother and sister got a wii). Everyone liked what I got them as far as I can tell, which is good. I am sad because we didn't have breakfast burritos for the first year in quite a few, as my uncle and his family were not here. His wife used up all her vacation time and so they couldn't come down to stay with us? I am not sure if there is some sort of family political bullshit going on here, or if she is just being kind of a pain (it was very obvious from phone conversations that my uncle and their kids are pretty upset that they didn't get to see any of our family this Christmas). Later we will have Christmas Dinner, Salmon which is not traditional but is delicious, and then maybe I will go see Juno with my brother.

I already watched Bender's Big Score-- so good. So good. I also got season 3 of the show, and I may have missed some of those episodes... so I have plenty of movie and tv show watching to do.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1367 on: December 26, 2007, 12:43:11 am »

Twilight Princess
If you like Zelda games, you won't be disappointed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1368 on: December 26, 2007, 12:47:07 am »

I have already played the first temple/dungeon/whatever on my friend's, so I know this.

The issue is that our TV is so goddamn complicated that you CAN'T PLUG THINGS INTO IT AND HAVE THEM WORK.
Nobody in my family thinks this is an issue except for me. I do not think it should be necessary to get out an instruction manual, mirrors, etc. to plug in a dang video game system.
so, basically right now we can pay Wii, but there is no sound. lame.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1369 on: December 26, 2007, 01:28:32 am »

Bummer, sound is awesome.
That's bizzare though, I mean do you not have the sound cable plugged in for some reason?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1370 on: December 26, 2007, 01:49:19 am »

oh, no, it's that the TV that we want to plug it into, the one in the basement "rec room" is set up with all kinds of stereo shit that is in cabinets, we cannot reach the back of it. After a while of trying to do it with mirrors and stuff, we decided to give up.
Finally, about an hour ago, I just set it up on the TV in my parent's room. They are out and, you know, I figured they wouldn't mind.
Beating the first 3 or 4 stars of Super Mario Galaxies is a heck of a lot easier once you've done it once. Nice. My silly brother wouldn't come play with me, though, I'm not sure why. Time was, he was the Mario MASTER in our house... you know, when the n64 came out and he was something like 6 years old.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1371 on: December 26, 2007, 01:58:00 am »

I got Bender's Big Score waiting for me at home.

Also, king crab and NY steaks for dinner.

But I'm still at work.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1372 on: December 26, 2007, 02:11:31 am »

I got Bender's Big Score waiting for me at home.

Also, king crab and NY steaks for dinner.

But I'm still at work.

Jesus, dude, when do you get to go home? Also you should raise some hell for this bullshit working-every-holiday thing.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1373 on: December 26, 2007, 02:13:57 am »

what is this Juno thing?  looked for it the other day, but, well, that is a kind of hard thing to look for, could I get a link maybe?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1374 on: December 26, 2007, 03:26:48 am »

Jesus, dude, when do you get to go home? Also you should raise some hell for this bullshit working-every-holiday thing.

I'm just happy to get New Year's off.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1375 on: December 26, 2007, 05:02:58 am »

juno is the pretty good movie I just saw. here is the trailer. it was funny and sad in different parts.
Leaving the theater, I commented to my brother that I kind of liked the girl in it, and that I dislike the fact that I would be attracted to someone who is basically just a sarcastic, snarky little wiseacre.
He responded that he, personally, liked Vanessa-- who I reacted to as a crazy, controlling, nutso wife/wannabe mom. Maybe I just fear one day being married to a woman who makes me keep my guitar in the attic and tells me to "grow up?"
I think it did a pretty good job of presenting everyone in a fair light, if that makes sense. It doesn't come across as "this guy is a total loser" or "this chick is crazy and insane and trying to run his life" or "this chick is such a saint for having this baby, she is perfect."
Also, lots of good soft acoustic songs that I had not heard were in it. Lately I am really digging on some singer-songwritery stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1376 on: December 26, 2007, 06:52:39 am »

Interestingly, many people have told me that Juno is good...

"Except for the music, which is so disgustingly preciously twee that it is as if Bjork tried to score a Wes Anderson film with only a child's toy piano dismantled and used as a harp."

Oh indie rock, the last refuge of dudes aching to be just like Joan Baez except with smaller balls...

Your fears about relationships are kind of latently misogynistic, though, to be brutally honest.

In the real world, outside of movies and television shows, the girlfriend/wife isn't telling her man to grow OUT of his artistic aspirations,generally, but... rather... to do something with them instead of just sitting around talking about how awesome it would be to do things and never trying.

In the real world, it is not that they get fed up with you for having dreams, it is that they get fed up with you for bitching and griping about them without doing anything about them... which is actually exceedingly fair.

You don't HAVE to be a worldbeater/high-wage earner/coffee-achiever, 'Nev, but... y'know... if you're not doing anything about your dreams at the moment AND you're not doing anything to make good bread WHILE you figure your shit out...

That's the problem.

And it's understandable.

It's just that (a.) it's hard to get that kind of nuance across in a 90 minute movie, let alone a 22 minute sitcom and (b.) screenwriters are a narcissistic and vengeful lot and if they're successful at their craft, a lot of their output becomes about shaming people who doubted them along the way.

"See that tiny name at the bottom of the poster, smaller than everyone else's but definitely on there? THAT'S ME! FUCK YOU THAT'S ME! Every character I can possibly write as a critique of your doubts, it's gonna be making fun of YOU because that's ME! That genius being squashed by the expectations of someone who is an idiot while the entire audience knows he's a genius? THAT'S ME AND YOU'RE THE IDIOT! Muh-HAHAHA!"

Yeah.

It is... it is A Thing.

It is best not to base too much of your reality on television and film writing because even if the writers are not from Circumstances themselves, the Circumstances are in their minds.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1377 on: December 26, 2007, 07:11:51 am »

I'm just happy to get New Year's off.

Aw dude, holidays are when you make 'em.  Don't let society dictate the details of when you should celebrate seasonal rites.  Substance over form!  Have Christmas whenever you're together with the ones you love.  Who cares if it is the 25th.  The idea is to give gifts and rage against the dang winter solstice.  It'll be fine if you do it on the 28th, or even the 30th or in January sometime.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1378 on: December 26, 2007, 07:27:07 am »

god fuck*ng damnit, I keep typing out these long responses and then hitting some key on my keyboard which erases them.

Basically, I am sorry that we don't like the same music LFM. I am sorry that the music i like is either too hard or too soft for you. It seems to me that the songs in the movie did a good job. A cute acoustic guitar song about puppy love playing while the guy on the screen is basically an awkward 17 year old trying to tell this pregnant chick that he likes her is fitting, to me. The music was as "twee" as The Kinks and such. I dunno, I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 135 lbs. I am not fooling anybody into thinking I am super virile by playing loud chords on my guitar.

But man, characterizing all "indie rock" as trying to sound "like Joan Baez but with smaller balls..."
sometimes I think that I must have a different kind of ears than you have or something. I am not arguing about this shit in every thread ever, so, I guess this is all I will say.

I mean... you are calling me misogynistic based on a movie that you haven't seen. The woman in this movie is not someone I would want to be married to. Maybe she is not realistic, I have no idea, I am not married. I probably am horribly misogynistic, in some ways. Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:33:50 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1379 on: December 26, 2007, 07:48:20 am »

You know, if we're going to make this thread Arguments About Movies We Saw On Christmas, I'd just like to volunteer that my parents and I saw National Treasure: Book of Secrets. And I liked it.

Fire away, guys.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 878   Go Up