Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349400 times)

0 Members and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1725 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:55 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to work thinking I've magically shaken my cold, then get there, realize I am still very sick, have people tell me I look sick, have boss tell me to go home, look into a few things that need my immediate attention, get caught up in work, feel sicker, realize I've worked a full shift, take the bus home, get excited about the idea of a new writing project, come home, get destracted by TOUAMB... and here I am.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1726 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:43 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to work thinking I've magically shaken my cold, then get there, realize I am still very sick, have people tell me I look sick, have boss tell me to go home, look into a few things that need my immediate attention, get caught up in work, feel sicker, realize I've worked a full shift, take the bus home, get excited about the idea of a new writing project, come home, get destracted by TOUAMB... and here I am.

s_s, go to bed!! At least go lie on the sofa and watch bad television.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1727 on: January 18, 2008, 09:49:37 pm »

Friendlys ain't bad as long as you stick to the basics there, hamburger or ice cream.

Go afield of that and prepare to battle dragons but... hamburger or ice cream and it is an acceptable low-cost eat-chain.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1728 on: January 18, 2008, 09:53:07 pm »

Friendlys ain't bad as long as you stick to the basics there, hamburger or ice cream.

Go afield of that and prepare to battle dragons but... hamburger or ice cream and it is an acceptable low-cost eat-chain.

I agree. Also you should order the burger well-done, or at least medium-well. The few times I've had to eat at Ruby Tuesday (my dad chose the restaurant and paid, so meh), I ordered a burger and everything was fine with my GI tract. Now cholesterol, that's another story...
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1729 on: January 18, 2008, 09:56:01 pm »

I strictly order all meat-type products "as well-done as you'll do it" at all times.

You may say "Well, what about the slightly more juicy texture to the meat?"

And I will say "I have definitely had food poisioning less times than you have."

And there will be no follow-up statement to that, I will have simply won that discussion.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1730 on: January 18, 2008, 09:57:21 pm »

Down by the Green River where Paradise lay?

Holy shit!  I just listened to Dwight Yoakam's version of that yesterday!

I'm with that - everyone loves Anthony Bourdain*, and he ate the ass out of a wild boar.

*Note: I have no idea if anyone even likes that guy. I don't know shit about him.

Me!  I do.  He's awesome, if somewhat intentionally obnoxious.

We ate at Silver Diner the other night, and the food pretty much sucked ass across the board.  I mean, the apple pie was bad.  How the hell do you fuck up apple pie?

Today I'm going to play poker with some co-workers.  I expect to take their money, but you never know.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1731 on: January 18, 2008, 10:01:09 pm »

I dunno.

He strikes me as a slightly-less-flaming Simon LeCowells trying to host a "Jackass" rip-off and... because he is an upper-class wank, can only do Jackassy stunts if they are about pretensious cuisine type things.

I'll stick to Alton Brown explaining my toasted cheese sandwich with those styrofoam molecules from high school chemistry, thanks.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1732 on: January 18, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

How the hell do you fuck up apple pie?


It seems to be very easy to do so, actually. I can't remember the last time I had a perfect apple pie. It's a constantly disappointing quest. Pie is hard, and apple pie seems to be hardest because apples are not so strongly flavored as, say, cherries or berries, and have a much more varying texture.

This is not to excuse Silver Diner, especially if everything else was bad, since diner food is not generally rocket science.

I like Anthony Bourdain. Or at least, I am entertained by him.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1733 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:24 pm »

I dunno.

He strikes me as a slightly-less-flaming Simon LeCowells trying to host a "Jackass" rip-off and... because he is an upper-class wank, can only do Jackassy stunts if they are about pretensious cuisine type things.

I'll stick to Alton Brown explaining my toasted cheese sandwich with those styrofoam molecules from high school chemistry, thanks.

Have you ever actually watched his show?  Cause that's not the vibe I get at all.

Bourdain's a little obnoxious in the way all New Yorkers are (to the rest of us) but Pretense? Stunts?  Jackassery?  I don't see it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1734 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:18 pm »

awesome! Today I thought that i was being bad and skipping a class in order to sleep in, but I had forgotten that that class doesn't meet on friday! awesome!

tonight: some nice girls I know are having a party.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1735 on: January 18, 2008, 10:25:58 pm »

Isn't he the one who travels around, eating repulsive ethnic "delicacies" that one would have no excuse for eating other than desperate poverty? Ox blood milkshakes and baby rats in aspic and snake ball stews and so on, claiming that he's doing it for culinary adventure but just to gross out the American audience?

If that's him, I don't see how that's any different from "Jackass".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1736 on: January 18, 2008, 10:38:24 pm »

Isn't he the one who travels around, eating repulsive ethnic "delicacies" that one would have no excuse for eating other than desperate poverty? Ox blood milkshakes and baby rats in aspic and snake ball stews and so on, claiming that he's doing it for culinary adventure but just to gross out the American audience?

If that's him, I don't see how that's any different from "Jackass".

Well, as I said, he literally ate the asshole out of a wild boar. I'm not really sure what part of that I can expand on to make it clearer.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1737 on: January 18, 2008, 10:38:59 pm »

obnoxious in the way all New Yorkers are (to the rest of us)

Excuse me?!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1738 on: January 18, 2008, 10:44:05 pm »

Isn't he the one who travels around, eating repulsive ethnic "delicacies" that one would have no excuse for eating other than desperate poverty? Ox blood milkshakes and baby rats in aspic and snake ball stews and so on, claiming that he's doing it for culinary adventure but just to gross out the American audience?

If that's him, I don't see how that's any different from "Jackass".

I don't think that's a fair description of the show.  That sounds more like Andrew Zimmern.  It's not just shock food porn.  He does eats some stuff that not on the everyday American menu, especially things like tripe and organ meats, but nothing out of the ordinary for the locale he's in.  He eats what the locals do and is very conscious of being a good guest and eating the meal that's prepared for him.  Virtually everything I've seen him eat on the show I would eat too, or at least try. 

Except for Namibia.   

But hey, don't worry about gathering any facts before you pre-judge the guy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1739 on: January 18, 2008, 10:45:44 pm »

Well, as I said, he literally ate the asshole out of a wild boar. I'm not really sure what part of that I can expand on to make it clearer.

That's one sequence out of three seasons of the show and it wasn't played for shock value.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 878   Go Up