Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346542 times)

0 Members and 177 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2085 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:27 am »

we are probably going to get ones owned by the school, because 2 of the guys are going abroad one semester and we don't want to have to deal with finding people to swap in.

Hopefully we can get the apartments that are between main campus and The Loop. Our friends live in one of those, and I love their apartment. There are also some near the corner of Forest Park Pkwy and Skinker that would be convenient. There are also apts on Waterman past Skinker, but those apparently are like a big sign that says "please mug me on the way home from class, also, could you break in at noon when you know we're all at class." Although, almost all of our friends are living along there. Also, we aren't sure how likely we are to get the really desirable ones right north of campus, since we will only be Juniors.

Due to the silly way campus is arranged, even the furthest school-owned apartments are closer to where my classes are than my dorm is now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2086 on: February 12, 2008, 06:49:15 am »

WashU

As someone who graduated from UWash, I feel like there should be some sort of natural rivalry between us. But I just can't seem to muster the energy.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2087 on: February 12, 2008, 07:27:55 am »

oh, we hate you guys to hell, believe me.
After the first "Oh, all the way out on the West Coast? wow!" the WashU student develops a deep loathing of the University of Washington. This only increases with the 3rd, 10th, and 31st repetitions.

So, my friend's roommate randomly came up to me and said "hey, do you like Built to Spill? There is this one song of theirs that reminds me of you so much, I don't know why" and then put her headphones on my head, and it's a song I completely love. Maybe not my favorite, but it's a very Daniel song. It's nice when people know you, you know?

Between that, realizing maybe my stat exam won't be so bad, realizing maybe my cognitive science paper will be easy, and this really calm happy feeling I have about the way things are going with a girl I have liked for a long time, I am at a pretty good place right now. I am nervous about the girl thing, but in a way that is almost like... I'm daniel, so of course I have to talk about how I don't really know if she likes me and act all worried. But... I don't actually feel that way?
But, um, it could just be the (legal, prescribed) drugs which I had not been taking because I am good at justifying silly things (oh, no, i'm not doing my work or focusing at all but... it's because I'm being lazy on purpose, because my classes are easy!)
I mean, I have looked this shit up, and I am basically on a tiny bit of speed. Or a tiny bit of cocaine. Something like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2088 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:55 am »

Actually, depending on what it is, it is just amphetamine.  Which means you are on speed.  No basically about it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2089 on: February 12, 2008, 03:00:53 pm »

...wait in a line that was way the hell too long to vote. We have 4 touchscreens but only two people checking off names, which means that only 1 person was voting at any given time.

See, VA is a totally independent state. Officially we have no political parties. So you can vote in any primary you want, but the catch is you can only vote in 1 per election cycle. So when you go to vote you say which primary you're voting in, but the person handling the other party still has to mark you off in their rolls so you don't try to come back later in the day and vote in their primary as well. Which means that even though two people were checking off names, they both had to check off each person which was slow as hell.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2090 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:58 pm »

no, I looked what I am on up, and it is not amphetamine.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2091 on: February 12, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »

I really like... the instrumental parts of that song, 'Nev. Nicely done.

If I had to pick a favourite Built to Spill song, it'd definitely be "Twin Falls, Idaho" because... like... that is an exactly-me kind of narrative.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2092 on: February 12, 2008, 04:23:03 pm »

I really like... the instrumental parts of that song, 'Nev. Nicely done.

If I had to pick a favourite Built to Spill song, it'd definitely be "Twin Falls, Idaho" because... like... that is an exactly-me kind of narrative.

At first I thought you were referring to his post directly about yours. And I was all, "what does Built to Spill have to do with the Everclear song Amphetamine?"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2093 on: February 12, 2008, 05:55:05 pm »

wait, LFM, seriously?

That song has always struck me as borderline too-twee and precious. I am not kidding. I like it, but, it has hell of Twee signifiers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2094 on: February 12, 2008, 08:11:07 pm »

no, I looked what I am on up, and it is not amphetamine.

Yeah, there are two things, sorry.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2095 on: February 12, 2008, 09:17:35 pm »

I like it, but, it has hell of Twee signifiers.
Can to the Inev for a new Term (new to me) that sent me over to Urban Dictionary.  At least its a term for a phenomenon I recognize, but never previously had a word for - unlike some of the random cryptolalia that appears on UD.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2096 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:12 am »

It... reminds me of a girl I had an insane crush on in junior high/early high school... and therefore the tweeness is eradicated. Also, its minimalism cuts down on the twee to begin with. Also also, Ben Folds' cover of it is rad.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2097 on: February 13, 2008, 07:28:06 am »

I mean, that is why I like twee songs. Because when I try to express how I feel about things, I inevitably end up with lame metaphors and cutesy phrases.

Today, I had classes, studied statistics (exam tomorrow), put up our new schedule posters all over campus, didn't study cultural anthropology (exam tomorrow), and didn't start a paper (due thursday). Just now I had my radio show, where I alternated between awesome (song choices), questionably awesome depending on the listener (several-minute long... thing... about the Minutemen and corporate rock and the importance of music made by amateurs), and horrible (when a certain lady sent me a message saying she was listening to my show, and I was in the middle of a series of rapid transitions between extremely short punk songs, and I completely lost my cool.)

also, my best friend at school said "what? you like [girl who i've talked about with him constantly for ages]? Dude, I totally have dibs."
I laughed in his face. "You wish. It doesn't work like that."

also. What birthday present do I get this girl. hm.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:46:30 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2098 on: February 13, 2008, 09:29:21 pm »

today, I found out:

I was going to type out statistics, but, basically almost half of my school are virgins. Including about a third of seniors. Of those who aren't virgins, a huge percentage report having sex fewer than 3 times in the last year.
Aren't college students supposed to be oversexed?
Isn't my generation supposed to be oversexed?

Good lord.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2099 on: February 13, 2008, 10:07:17 pm »

today, I found out:

I was going to type out statistics, but, basically almost half of my school are virgins. Including about a third of seniors. Of those who aren't virgins, a huge percentage report having sex fewer than 3 times in the last year.
Aren't college students supposed to be oversexed?
Isn't my generation supposed to be oversexed?

Good lord.
Maybe you should focus on being a part of the solution instead of perpetuating this disgusting state of affairs.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 878   Go Up