Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349119 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2325 on: March 16, 2008, 01:26:03 pm »

Yeah, Mrs. Haus's mom works for the Block, so she does our taxes for us. The only downside is that she gets access to our income information, etc., which I'm not so keen on, but it's free and she does a hell of a lot better for us than we could do if we sat down at the table and did it ourselves. THAT adventure would probably result in lawyers telling us who keeps the dogs.

Yesterday, I went back to Newport News for the day to celebrate the early 4th birthday of my daughter. Today, I rest a lot, watch the race at Bristol, and try to reorganize my closet.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2326 on: March 16, 2008, 04:05:51 pm »

...order some CDs by defunct Japanese punk bands.

You kids today, you have no idea how easy you have it. When I was a teenager I remember sometimes having more trouble than this tracking down music by existing American bands that I'd heard on the radio. Now I can rent a Japanese movie I'd never have been able to see before, decide I like a song, and clickety clickety and it's going to come to me in the mail. 

If it weren't for the Technical Staff's ban on certain kinds of downloading I'd have it already, of course. But in the meantime I can watch clips on YouTube.

Really, you just have no idea what a thrill this is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2327 on: March 16, 2008, 05:07:26 pm »

Wow wombat, I bet it was depressing not to have a phonograph player in your model T.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2328 on: March 16, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »

Filed my taxes yesterday.  Turbotax for about the 4th year running, and it's hell of easier than the paper and pencil way.  Something tells me JL and Pedro's taxes do not involve depreciation, capital gains or self-employment taxes, cause that #2 wouldn't look so appealing if they did.

Well, yes.  That's true.  I did itemize when we owned a house, and I have heck of crazy student loan and education credit stuff to sort out, but none of that "if x expense equals less than 7 percent of your income, you can claim a credit for 10 percent of the amount that exceeds the number on line 47." 

Pedro was self-employed one year.  He didn't make any money and his corporate taxes went to an accountant.  So I just had to fill in the blank on that one. 

But I like to think that as our financial lives get more complicated, my Tax-Fu will only increase.  So, who knows -- maybe I'll still be doing it myself when we've got three kids in college, a vacation home in Tahiti, and Pedro has launched his own, wildly successful, game development studio. 

While I'm dreaming, Pedro and I were discussing baby names and I noted that when we were born, his name was 112th in popularity but has now reached the rank of 63.  He wondered aloud how long it might take for "Hero" to hit the top 100, to which I replied, "Oh, about forty years." 

"Forty years?" 

"Well, she can't run for President until she's thirty-five..."

Was it a hookworm? Cause thats exactly how you get hookworm. One minute your jumping in puddles, the next theres a parasite feeding off your child.

No, just regular types. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2329 on: March 16, 2008, 06:22:21 pm »

Wow wombat, I bet it was depressing not to have a phonograph player in your model T.

Yeah. It was really crowded in there when you had to drive a whole band around with you when you wanted to hear music.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2330 on: March 16, 2008, 09:52:04 pm »

well, they hadn't invented most of the instruments yet, so how crowded could it be?

Today I flew back into STL. My room is a mess so I am going to clean this up. It is my friend's birthday so I am deciding what small thing I can give her.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2331 on: March 17, 2008, 04:02:13 am »

Today on my way back to school, the commonwealth of virginia will pull me over 3 times in 15 minutes. I hadn't received a ticket in 5 years, tonight I become the commonwealth's budget solution.


(Also, 20 emails from girls on eharmony... A-CAP is IN DEMAND from lonely women looking for long term relationships... No thanks.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 04:07:37 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2332 on: March 17, 2008, 04:32:09 am »

Is e-harmony the secretly Jesus-y one that is really all about trying to create marriages wherein good Christian babies are quickly birthed out?

If it is, it explains the commitment-desperate mojo going on.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2333 on: March 17, 2008, 05:13:46 am »

Yeah, I kinda thought that you went to e-harmonay for your soulmate, or whatever. At least that's what the conservatively dressed middle class people on the commercials told me. If you're looking for a booty call, there's always your friendly local bar scene.


*edit: I just noticed I misspelled e-harmony, but I like it better with the extra 'a'.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2334 on: March 17, 2008, 05:31:12 am »

yea its def for people looking for marriage and babies. I just did it to see if anyone else answered the "free personality profile" the same as me. I am not looking for marriage or babies.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2335 on: March 17, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »

I...thought you had a girlfriend? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2336 on: March 17, 2008, 02:31:28 pm »

Today I'm gonna get by on less than 5 hours of sleep, go to class, turn in a take-home midterm essay, work out, go to the post office, go to H&R Block, do some homework, and most of all not die.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2337 on: March 17, 2008, 02:36:39 pm »

I'm totally gonna fill out a profile on e-harmony and rake in the baby-wanting babes. I can't see any way this could go wrong.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2338 on: March 17, 2008, 05:03:10 pm »

My kid learned a few months ago that if you're driving a car on the freeway and are suddenly seized with the need to puke, the towel you use to wipe dew/frost off the windows makes a handy receptacle.  It was my wife that actually taught this lesson.  I was co-piloting and she was coughing pretty hard.  She waved towards the towel at my feet and I passed it over, thinking she had some phlegm to get rid of.  (Sorry if you're eating lunch).  I later recommended to her that pulling over first would be good.  She piloted the vehicle at 70mph pretty well, considering her condition, but there are some things you don't want to do while driving.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2339 on: March 18, 2008, 12:34:40 pm »

...watch my baby boy heft his Spider-man backpack into the car and leave for his first day of school. 

*weeps*

It's only preschool, but it's at an elementary school.  He'll be there every day, all day (although I'm picking him up after lunch the first week or two 'til he gets adjusted).  He'll have Library time!  And Phys Ed!  And he'll have lunch in a cafeteria! 

He's only three!  I was supposed to have another two and a half years of him driving me nuts at home before I had to sob through his first day of Kindergarten. 

At least I have this girl-baby to distract me.  Fat lot of good she's doing me now, though, all sleeping peacefully. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 878   Go Up