Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348134 times)

0 Members and 192 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2580 on: April 22, 2008, 04:06:06 am »

I'll come up with a series of empassioned snap judgements based on very limited knowledge. It is kinda what I'm best at.

Here's a can for painfully honest self-evaluation!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2581 on: April 22, 2008, 07:08:18 am »

oh man, he totally picked a really awesome combination of people. I am excited. The one problem is that in some places he eliminated positions rather than filling them with people who we didn't want in there for various reasons... and I feel like those people are going to be bitter.

but, I mean, one girl came in and said "I know I'm not sleeping with anyone on exec staff, and I'm not in your girlfriend's sorority, but I still think I have what it takes to do this job better than (her competitor who is dating the jazz director, is in his girlfriend's sorority, and is infinitely better than her in every way)." That girl did not need to have a job.

So yeah, now I realize that he also didn't give our other roommate any position, and in fact didn't fill the position he applied for. Drama is heading our way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2582 on: April 22, 2008, 07:26:29 am »

So yeah, now I realize that he also didn't give our other roommate any position, and in fact didn't fill the position he applied for. Drama is heading our way.

But at least this bodes well for his faith in your ability?

"I know I'm not sleeping with anyone on exec staff, and I'm not in your girlfriend's sorority, but I still think I have what it takes to do this job better than (her competitor who is dating the jazz director, is in his girlfriend's sorority, and is infinitely better than her in every way)."

Yeah, if the only reason you can think of for someone else to have the job instead of you is nepotism chances are you don't have a balanced evaluation of your own abilities.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2583 on: April 22, 2008, 12:32:45 pm »

  But it also says "Warning!  Irritant!"  Which really should be posted on the front of all non-foods based foodstuffs, and before every episode of that ungodly Ghost Whisperer show.

Oh man, there need to be stickers that say this, and I need to buy them in packages of a thousand.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2584 on: April 22, 2008, 04:56:38 pm »

doc-- also, the fact that she would say that to his face made him so, so mad.
Also he was entertained by the idea that maybe our college radio station is really pro-sorority. Because... does that sound likely?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2585 on: April 22, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »

I once worked with a plastic compound that had the most innocuous Material Safety Data Sheet ever.  The worst that could be said about its health effects was "May cause mechanical irritation if inserted in the eye".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2586 on: April 22, 2008, 07:49:57 pm »

Geeze, I used to love it when we got some of them safe ones. At one point my lot was usually stuff that just said it's gonna kill you and then hang around for the next 4 generations so it can kill them too.

And then burn a hole to the molten core of the earth.

Alright.  Who ordered Ash a case of HappyFunBall?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2587 on: April 23, 2008, 03:34:29 am »

I've found it's kind of funny how complacent one becomes after a while about handling carcinogens and similar.

I may not find it so funny in about 20 years though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2588 on: April 23, 2008, 07:36:28 am »

so, WashU student union treasury have managed to enrage me. I am not an angry person. I understand a lot of their rationale for cutting our budget, as much as I dislike it. But when you treat my friends/people in general with disrespect I lose it.

They wouldn't give our personnel director, who is a treasury member, a freaking PEE BREAK. He had to run out of the meeting in fear of missing a vote (and he actually did miss one) because they couldn't take a 1 minute bathroom break in a 5 hour meeting. Multiple of my friends came back almost in tears after being cut off midway through a sentence, after having their hand raised for at least an hour.

I have been going on too many rants lately (and the optimal number of rants on TOUAMB is "1 per year tops") so I will end here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2589 on: April 23, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »

Geeze, I used to love it when we got some of them safe ones. At one point my lot was usually stuff that just said it's gonna kill you and then hang around for the next 4 generations so it can kill them too.

And then burn a hole to the molten core of the earth.

Hey, I think that's the disinfectant that we use at work.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2590 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:08 pm »

They wouldn't give our personnel director, who is a treasury member, a freaking PEE BREAK. He had to run out of the meeting in fear of missing a vote (and he actually did miss one) because they couldn't take a 1 minute bathroom break in a 5 hour meeting. Multiple of my friends came back almost in tears after being cut off midway through a sentence, after having their hand raised for at least an hour.

They are not in the business of treasury.  They are in the business of screwing you guys.  If there is something you need from that organization, I would recommend appealing to a higher authority or finding a way to get what you need elsewhere.  You might also consider encouraging the local drama group to invade the next meeting hippie-freakout style, bang pots for a while, and then leave with no trace.

And anyway, if you can't rant to your imaginary friends ON THE INTERNET where can you rant?
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2591 on: April 23, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »

...wonder whether or not I should buy a set of Lone Wolf books and entertain hopes that my kids will grow up as nerdy as I did.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2592 on: April 23, 2008, 01:48:12 pm »

Think of who their mother is. 

Then think of the odds of them not being nerdier. 

Also: maybe we should wait until one of them learns to read. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:58:39 pm by jldunston »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2593 on: April 25, 2008, 08:11:18 pm »

I haven't been around lately because I've been busy and trying to make shit happen at work. I just got a promotion and a transfer to a new division and a 10% raise, so you cats might not see me around too often.  Today I had the day off (woo! Thank you, flex schedule), and I baked some pear bread. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to a Scotch tasting but the people who were supposed to go with me have bitched out, so I haven't decided if I'm going to go by myself or just stay home.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2594 on: April 25, 2008, 08:38:32 pm »

I haven't been around lately because I've been busy and trying to make shit happen at work. I just got a promotion and a transfer to a new division and a 10% raise, so you cats might not see me around too often.  Today I had the day off (woo! Thank you, flex schedule), and I baked some pear bread. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to a Scotch tasting but the people who were supposed to go with me have bitched out, so I haven't decided if I'm going to go by myself or just stay home.

Hey! Hello! Congrats!

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 878   Go Up