Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349419 times)

0 Members and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2655 on: April 30, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Born in Asheville, living now in Carrboro (formerly known as "The Place Where the Train to Chapel Hill Let Off, Back When People Took Trains").

Hop on down to Raleigh/Cary and see us sometime.  Do you ever go see MC Frontalot when he comes to Chapel Hill?  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's touring this year.  But if you have been to either of the previous 2 concerts at Local 506 we have probably met. 

Out of pure and slightly morbid curiousity, what does he eat? It sounds like your down to oreos, breakfast cereals and the box they come in.

Man, if only he ate cardboard boxes.  That would be so much more nutritious than most of his food. 

The current, comprehensive list of Food My Toddler Eats: Oreos (ding!); Chips Ahoy Thin Crisps; Mini Keebler Fudge Stripes (but not full-size ones); wheat thins; Sour Cream and Onion Ritz Chips; Goldgiraffe crackers (of any stripe); Sun Chips (any flavor); french fries (regular or waffle, but not curly); Peanut Butter or S'mores Ritz Bits Sandwiches (or the Target brand equivalent); Smores Chewy Granola Bars; Dibs ice cream bites (strawberry, vanilla, or peanut butter); Quaker Quakes Cheddar Cheese flavored rice cakes; Gerber mini fruits (freeze-dried) in apple, banana-strawberry, or banana-pineapple; Gerber cereal stars; Gerber Wagon Wheels; Strawberry Yogurt Burst Cheerios (but only the pink ones); fresh apples, peeled; applesauce; chocolate pudding; pizza (thick crust, triangular, plain cheese).  He also drinks milk from a baby bottle (with a particular nipple shape and style) and apple juice from an open cup or a juice box.  He'll drink water from a water fountain or sometimes from a straw cup if he's really, really thirsty. 

That's it -- the whole list.  Twenty foods, with a few variations.  He won't touch most alternate flavors -- pudding must always be chocolate -- or most off-brands, except where noted.  I try to choose the best alternatives where possible -- he eats a lot of crackers that have cheese baked in, as a way to sneak in some protein, and I try to encourage him to eat peanut butter crackers or ice cream bites at least once a day.  I also choose whole-wheat options when I can -- did you know they make whole wheat goldgiraffe?  Lots of things that we think would be logical next steps to expand his repertoire don't seem to work.  We got some bulk freeze-dried pineapple and offered it to him, and he ate it for a while, but has since stopped in favor of the (more expensive) Gerber kind.  We've tried other types of crackers, like the kind made with ground-up vegetables, and he won't touch them.  He ate toast for a while, but has started rejecting it again.  We've tried other kinds of cereals, even other types of cheerios -- no dice.  Although yesterday, I got him to put his mouth on one of those cereal straws that Smells was talking about in another thread, and he even almost blew bubbles in a cup of milk with it.  (Those things are strangely delicious, BTW.  I got the Froot Loops kind.) 

I, too, am a picky eater, and most of my pickiness is texture related as well.  I pick the carrots out of my soup; I order salads without tomatoes because I can't even stand the sight of them.  I don't like junk on my pizza, and ice cream should never, ever crunch.  I don't like food to touch on my plate.  My fruit intake is limited because I have serious problems with seeds.  (Strawberries?  Palatable only in pureed form.)  I'm better with vegetables than I used to be, but that is largely a function of having learned how to hide them from myself when I cook.  But when you have a kid on the autism spectrum, you can avoid looking childish by explaining to dinner companions that you have "sensory processing issues" that make certain textures hard to tolerate, so that works out I guess. 

Inev, seriously, you will probably get less picky as you get older and start preparing more of your own food.  Part of my improvement in this area is being able to have more control over what I eat, so I need never encounter broccoli, but part of it too is just that handling food in various states of doneness (raw veggies, cooked veggies, chopped veggies, etc) helps your brain process the textures better.  This is one of the reasons we do fun projects with food here, like using food coloring to dye spaghetti different colors and then laying the noodles on a plate to make rainbows.  It encourages P to touch food without there being any pressure to necessarily eat it.  The more he plays with his food, the more likely he is to actually maybe put some of it in his mouth someday. 

Also, today I gave a talk to my sister-in-law's third-grade class about autism.  It went super-well.  I spoke for 20 minutes and took 40 minutes of questions, so I guess I got them thinking about stuff.  Good questions, too.  I am considering taping myself giving the same talk at home and putting it up on YouTube.  Because, you know, I think it's a pretty brilliant speech, and enough time hasn't elapsed to convince me otherwise yet. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2656 on: April 30, 2008, 06:32:52 pm »

yeah, straight up-- I do much better at eating vegetables when I think of them as parts of a plant instead of nasty things that are cooked to displease me.

also, I find that despite a long childhood of not wanting my foods to touch, I can eat the best when everything is all mixed together so that it is prohibitively difficult to pick things out. I am using my laziness against myself, see.

I think next year will be an adventure, as I'll have to cook my own food. Luckily the other guys I'm living with know how to cook at least a few things each. I will be the one who will have to pick up the slack and learn to cook stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2657 on: April 30, 2008, 09:06:32 pm »

Today I'm gonna... find out that I only have this job till June after all.

It was going to go indefinitely because last week someone gave notice that he was quitting. So yesterday the rest of us sat down and had a meeting and figured out who would do what when, after he left, and the boss said he'd do the paperwork to extend my temporary position.

Then today, the guy came in and said he was staying till the end of the summer instead.

This is actually the SECOND time he has given notice and then changed his mind.  It could happen to anyone once... but twice starts to look like a Problem, you know?

I'm actually kind of relieved - but it's exhausted to be jerked back and forth like this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2658 on: April 30, 2008, 09:26:04 pm »

I suggest this old thread to get you up and going.

Oh, that thread made me miss so many people.  I especially like that, thanks to filtering, there's a section in the middle about Bozack's address that makes no sense to anybody who doesn't remember when his name was an unpronounceable string of letters and numbers. 

At least he and andalucia are together.  That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 

Moment of epiphany for the day: Other people are not over sensitive, I am as under sensitive as a lead hammer.

Mind if I ask for elaboration on that one?  I mean, did something precipitate this epiphany, or did it come to you in a dream? 

---

Today I'm gonna offer a homeless guy $3 and a juice box.  You give what you've got handy, you know? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2659 on: May 01, 2008, 01:14:12 am »

Mini Keebler Fudge Stripes (but not full-size ones)

It's little details like this that I love but I am sure drive you insane.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2660 on: May 01, 2008, 01:19:15 am »

The_Inev's avatar is topical today.

That line will make no sense in a couple months when he changes it, naturally.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2661 on: May 01, 2008, 01:21:18 am »

The current, comprehensive list of Food My Toddler Eats: Oreos (ding!); Chips Ahoy Thin Crisps; Mini Keebler Fudge Stripes (but not full-size ones); wheat thins; Sour Cream and Onion Ritz Chips; Goldgiraffe crackers (of any stripe); Sun Chips (any flavor); french fries (regular or waffle, but not curly); Peanut Butter or S'mores Ritz Bits Sandwiches (or the Target brand equivalent); Smores Chewy Granola Bars; Dibs ice cream bites (strawberry, vanilla, or peanut butter); Quaker Quakes Cheddar Cheese flavored rice cakes; Gerber mini fruits (freeze-dried) in apple, banana-strawberry, or banana-pineapple; Gerber cereal stars; Gerber Wagon Wheels; Strawberry Yogurt Burst Cheerios (but only the pink ones); fresh apples, peeled; applesauce; chocolate pudding; pizza (thick crust, triangular, plain cheese).  He also drinks milk from a baby bottle (with a particular nipple shape and style) and apple juice from an open cup or a juice box.  He'll drink water from a water fountain or sometimes from a straw cup if he's really, really thirsty. 

But this... this doesn't seem like such an unreasonable list.

I mean, I am sure the mini cookies are completely different from the full size ones.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2662 on: May 01, 2008, 01:33:20 am »

Texture is all kinds of important.

Texture is why I cannot abide fruit or seafood.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2663 on: May 01, 2008, 01:40:24 am »

Well Jay-ell, here's hoping that this super-pickiness is not a long-term thing. I can see how it could be extremely exasperating, and in my case, override the evolutionary imperative to not eliminate one's offspring.

One more reason I don't have kids, I think. It's not that I don't want them eventually, but I think that a higher level of "don't give a fuck-ness" than I currently have would be required.

Well...that, and a lady with whom to produce said children, that's kind of important, too.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2664 on: May 01, 2008, 03:37:54 am »

It's little details like this that I love but I am sure drive you insane.

Man, you know -- I have a certain appreciation for the degree to which he is fussy.  He will actually check packages to make sure I'm not trying to pass off store-brand cookies for "real" ones.  I complain and worry and sigh audibly at him, but it's still pretty adorable. 

I mean, certainly they make the same cookies in two sizes for a reason. 

On a related note, today I'm gonna discover that Strawberry Milkshake Creme Oreos are absurdly fantastic. 

Well Jay-ell, here's hoping that this super-pickiness is not a long-term thing. I can see how it could be extremely exasperating, and in my case, override the evolutionary imperative to not eliminate one's offspring.

One more reason I don't have kids, I think. It's not that I don't want them eventually, but I think that a higher level of "don't give a fuck-ness" than I currently have would be required.

Well...that, and a lady with whom to produce said children, that's kind of important, too.

My kid's autistic, which is pretty much a recipe for Permanent Circumstances.  YMWMCV.*  But you'd be surprised -- and I think the other parents here will agree -- you'd be surprised what you're willing to put up with once your demanding and exasperating offspring become decidedly un-hypothetical. 

*Your Mileage Will Most Certainly Vary
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2665 on: May 01, 2008, 04:56:41 am »

Man, you know -- I have a certain appreciation for the degree to which he is fussy.  He will actually check packages to make sure I'm not trying to pass off store-brand cookies for "real" ones.  I complain and worry and sigh audibly at him, but it's still pretty adorable. 

Yeah you have to admire that. I mean if he was just be arbitrarily picky that would be childish, but he's being thorough. There's a method here, it's not his fault we can't perceive it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2666 on: May 01, 2008, 02:01:37 pm »

You need to test him to see if he can distinguish M&M colors by taste alone.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2667 on: May 01, 2008, 02:20:35 pm »

Moment of epiphany for the day: Other people are not over sensitive, I am as under sensitive as a lead hammer.

Hurray!  This is the "conservative's epiphany."  The liberal equivalent goes something like: "Nobody actually owes me anything, and few people care what I think.  I should probably stop whining."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2668 on: May 01, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »

Quote
"Nobody actually owes me anything, and few people care what I think.  I should probably stop whining."

But... but... what will I do with my mouth, then?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2669 on: May 01, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »

But... but... what will I do with my mouth, then?

"daniel loves every girl" Get to lovin'
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 878   Go Up