Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345668 times)

0 Members and 209 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3150 on: August 07, 2008, 10:10:22 pm »

Gotta be the Gimp.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3151 on: August 07, 2008, 11:24:22 pm »

Good to hear, it's one of my perennial favourites for all the wrong reasons.

And she's obviously thinking of Marcellus Wallace.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3152 on: August 08, 2008, 12:12:16 am »

Good to hear, it's one of my perennial favourites for all the wrong reasons.

And she's obviously thinking of Marcellus Wallace.
Marcellus Wallace does not look like a bitch. Marcellus Wallace doesn't like to be fucked by anyone except Mrs.Wallace - Mrs.Wallace being my guess.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3153 on: August 08, 2008, 01:15:27 am »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong-o. 

Sorry, Uma doesn't do it for me.  Although I spent part of the movie thinking she was Wynona Ryder, who is sort of hot sometimes. 

You guys overestimate me.  My pick for this movie is actually pretty pedestrian. 

Not him, though.  The other one. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3154 on: August 08, 2008, 01:33:30 am »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong-o. 

Sorry, Uma doesn't do it for me.  Although I spent part of the movie thinking she was Wynona Ryder, who is sort of hot sometimes. 

You guys overestimate me.  My pick for this movie is actually pretty pedestrian. 

Not him, though.  The other one. 

Hopefully it's Samuel L, because if it's that Scientologist, I may spit.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3155 on: August 08, 2008, 01:41:22 am »

Nope, and nope. 

I have twice tried to type this message and realized (too late) that I had accidentally turned on "reload every."  So here's the distilled version. 

I thought that Travolta was so obviously not a contender that I just assumed that everyone would go right for Sam Jackson, who it isn't.  Who it is, actually, is Bruce Willis, on whom I have been crushing since Moonlighting was on the air.  And since I was ten when it was canceled, I think it is safe to say that this is a pretty serious celebrity crush to be still having at my relatively advanced age. 

Two nice things about him in this film:

1) totally ripped, and at several points shirtless. 
2) the only character with any sort of moral rectitude. 

Grelicious. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:23:55 am by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3156 on: August 08, 2008, 02:43:12 am »

I don't know, I thought C. Walken's character displayed some rectitude... moral and, uh, rectal.

Rectaltude?

Every time I watch Pulp Fiction, I wish I was the Wolf. "Shit, nigga. That's all you had to say!"
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3157 on: August 08, 2008, 02:53:30 am »

Oh, that's the thing I didn't like about the movie.  "The N word" everywhere.  Being used by white people who had no business using it whatsoever. 

I am down with black people reclaiming that word as a way to address their, er, "homies," as it were.  But when Zed said it, or when Walken used various slurs for Vietnamese people -- however in-character both those usages were -- I dunno, it bothered me. 

Hearing the word "fuck" seventeen hundred times in the first ninety seconds of the film did not faze me.  But I unconsciously covered my daughter's ears whenever the racial slurs started flying, because those are words that, to me, should not be played with.  Those are the words used by real-life killers and haters to dehumanize those they hate and kill. 

I kept thinking, "Am I a prude, or would this movie just never, ever have been made if Hollywood were in the Southeast?" 

But overall, I really did enjoy the movie.  And I understand why the language I found offensive was included -- it truly did serve the story in most places.  I found it jarring, is all, because those are words I (thankfully) don't hear every day. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3158 on: August 08, 2008, 04:35:35 am »

I just couldn't stand that film because it makes gun violence look cool and justified and rad.

That sort of thing makes me physically ill for reasons I've gotten deeply into here.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3159 on: August 08, 2008, 05:07:31 am »

Today I tried to look for a book at my local library. I went in, saw a computer, and started typing on it to search the catalog. I was quickly yelled at. I was taken to the front desk where I was told I needed to register to use the computers, and then, I can fill out a form to use it (thats 2 forms). "Ok, but before you can register I need to see your library card". I don't have it with me, To fill out this registration form I would have needed to fill out a replacement ID form and pay a fee (3 forms). I really just wanted to see if you had this book and then potentially look at it, here, in the library. So one librarian says that's ok, she just needs to see my ID, to prove I am a resident. Then out of some office this older woman says "no, you cant do that any more, they have to have a library card, an ID isnt good enough".
"wow, really? I really just wanted to look for this book, and you are making this kind of hard."
"we don't make the rules, we just follow them"
"I just wanted to use the library. sorry."
But I said this with enough conviction and frustration that a dude sitting next to the desk ghasped "fuck!".

I went to Barnes and Noble instead, where I was allowed to freely search and touch all the books i wanted free from forms and fees. People even helped me, with smiles.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3160 on: August 08, 2008, 05:48:58 am »

I stopped to use the internet at a library in a small town in Colorado.  I was told there was a 20 minute limit for out of state users.  That's not a lot of time I said.  It's so the locals don't have to wait while out of towners use the computers.  I looked around, there was no one using any of the 3 computer terminals at 10 am on a Tuesday morning.  After 20 minutes the librarian came around and said my time was up and I had to leave.  I said but there is no one here but me.  She reluctantly allowed me an additional 10 minutes.  Then she was adament I leave.  Still I was the only one using the computers.  Geez!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3161 on: August 08, 2008, 06:30:28 am »

In LA's libraries, it seems as though it is a law that you cannot use the internet without smelling like soured coffee grounds.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3162 on: August 08, 2008, 06:49:01 am »

"I just wanted to use the library. sorry."

I'm going to find a way to incorporate this sort of phrase into my daily life.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3163 on: August 08, 2008, 07:11:53 am »

It just seemed like a completely innocuous, normal, routine thing to think I could walk into my library and search their catalog, but instead this lady is just throwing noise at me about documents and fees and forms.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:14:59 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3164 on: August 08, 2008, 12:27:57 pm »

Just to look at the catalog? That is fucked up.

I can search my county library on line without them wanting to know who I am. Can you do that? It would actually be pretty funny if you could, after all the fuss they made in person.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 878   Go Up