Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350189 times)

0 Members and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3540 on: October 19, 2008, 09:59:38 pm »

yeah. I mean.

If I don't pass this class I'll have to retake it next year. And that'll kind of fuck up my schedule, because it's the prerequisite for things I need to take for my major. Oops.

Also it just pisses me off that I thought I'd have at worst a C, because I had screwed up a bunch of quizzes early on, but I came out of the midterm feeling good... ends up I got a D on the exam. Shit.

this happens to me way too often.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:24:31 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3541 on: October 20, 2008, 07:42:46 am »

No matter how well or how poorly you did in college, it will be amazingly funny that you cared about grades at all in a couple of years.

I may not have enough distance yet but I have to disagree to a certain extent. If my grades were slightly worse I would have had a hell of a time getting an honours supervisor and therefore getting the job I have now and etc. etc. etc. Grades aren't everything but if you don't give two shits then what are you doing there in the first place? Go do something you like instead.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3542 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »

Yes, but don't forget caring about grades isn't always an indication of doing something you like or giving two shits. Caring about grades is not the same as caring about learning.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3543 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:39 pm »

Oh of course not. It's just when I hear people around uni saying 'I don't care if I fail this subject' or whatever I think 'if you don't care, why are you doing it?'. I just can't imagine wasting my time like that.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3544 on: October 20, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »

Because it is a course you are required to take to get a degree in something that will allow you to do something you like?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3545 on: October 20, 2008, 07:25:17 pm »

Oh of course not. It's just when I hear people around uni saying 'I don't care if I fail this subject' or whatever I think 'if you don't care, why are you doing it?'. I just can't imagine wasting my time like that.
For as long as Ive been taking it, I have been completely indifferent to how I performed in German. A foreign language is required for graduation, but I do not imagine a likely future scenario where I will really need to know german. The only person who wins in this transaction is language professors, who would otherwise not have as many jobs if languages weren't required.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3546 on: October 20, 2008, 07:29:31 pm »

For as long as Ive been taking it, I have been completely indifferent to how I performed in German. A foreign language is required for graduation, but I do not imagine a likely future scenario where I will really need to know german.

But can you imagine one where you will really wish you knew it? There's a difference, and as long as you're taking German why not try to learn the damn language?

Don't come crying to me when you wish you knew what that hot chick named Astrid was talking about with her friends, or when you fall into a parallel universe where the Nazis won WWII and you need to pass long enough to find that universe's equivalent of the professor who accidentally sent you there in the first place.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3547 on: October 20, 2008, 08:25:23 pm »

I am alternating between thinking I can totally catch up, and thinking that I should do something like... drop the class and change my major.

I am kind of kidding and kind of serious. Hm hm hm.

this week, I am going to:
read 9 chapters about the Great Leap Forward for a quiz,
study tons of logic for my logic quiz,
study for my midterm exam on methods in cognitive science,
read several chapters for my Language Development exam,
plan/pack/leave for NYC for the College Music Journal conference.

Scary. Oh well. I'll get it all done and then spend a few days being stressed out in new york, riding the subway around and seeing rock concerts. feeling like I should be here, doing work.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:31:56 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3548 on: October 20, 2008, 11:18:52 pm »

Because it is a course you are required to take to get a degree in something that will allow you to do something you like?

That will always suck but if it's allowing you to do something down the line you should still care how you do because you care about that ultimate goal. That's how I used to get myself through crappy subjects anyway.

Ben-San has convinced me, I'm going to go learn me some german. Damn alternate-universe Jerries.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3549 on: October 20, 2008, 11:20:15 pm »

this is the same reason I'm taking sanskrit next semester.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3550 on: October 21, 2008, 12:06:51 am »

Bitches Love Sanscrit.

Alternately:

Damn alternate-universe Krishna!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3551 on: October 21, 2008, 01:50:08 am »

Bitches Love Sanscrit.


You can hell of use your mad Sanskrit skillz in yoga class.  And yoga chicks are the best.

Flexibility.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3552 on: October 21, 2008, 03:53:30 am »

study tons of logic for my logic quiz

Logic you say?  Have I ever told my logic joke here?  Well here goes.

Down on the farm cousins Ricky and Cooter were really struggling.  One day Ricky says to Cooter, "We got to change our lives.  I'll tell you what we gonna do.  Tomorrow morning we goin' down to that college and get ourselves enrolled in school."  And so they did.

The next morning they are in the lobby of the counselors office waiting to be seen by a counselor.  The counselor calls for Ricky and he goes in first to speak to the counselor.

He sits down in the office where the counselor tells him he needs to take classes in math, science and logic.  "Logic?"  Ricky says "What's that?" "Well" replied the counselor, "the best way to explain logic is to give you an example.  Let me ask you a question, do you own a lawnmower?"  "Yes sir, I do."  "Logic tells me that if you own a lawnmower, you must have a lawn.  Is that true?"  "Yes sir."  "If you have a lawn logic tells me that you have a house."  "Right you are." says Ricky.  "Do you own your house?" the counselor continued.  "Yes sir."  "Logic tells me that men who own their own homes are usually married.  "Are you married?"  "Been married to Betty Lou for 12 years."  "Alright then, logic tells me that you are not a homosexual."  "You're goddamn right about that!" Ricky exclaimed.  "Well there you have it." said the counselor.  "Well I'll be, you figgered all that out with logic, that's pretty dang slick."

A few moments later Ricky was back in the lobby.  Right away Cooter asked "Well what did he tell ya'?"  "Well" Ricky proudly said feeling smarter already "he said we need to take classes in math, science and logic."  "Logic?" Cooter says "What's that?"  "Let me explain it to you.  Do you got a lawnmower?"  "No Rick I don't."  "You're queer ain'tcha?"

Thank you, thank you.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3553 on: October 21, 2008, 09:14:15 am »

can'd for one of my favorite jokes

today i'm gonna go to bed at quarter past two AM because jesus it's late
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3554 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:35 pm »

my friend got pretty fed up with me when I wrote out this incredibly long statement in the system of notation we are learning which said "there exists a thing, such that it is a house, and it is in new orleans, and it is called the rising sun, and it is the only thing such that it is a house, and it is in new orleans, and it is called the rising sun."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 878   Go Up