drove 2200 miles over the last week (realistically, i drove less than half of this myself, as my roommate is much better with driving long distances with me.) Saw the Feelies in DC, it was pretty great. My roommate got to see Charlotte, which was cool-- he said "it's like when someone joins your party in an RPG, and then later you visit their hometown for a side-quest." He is a big dork.
I like DC a lot. Baltimore was kind of boring, but I really liked the Visionary Art Museum.
It was sad seeing that my friends who we visited have parents who are absolutely wonderful, friendly, and reasonable. It is my friends who are the crazy, rude, unpleasant ones.
I am chalking that up to the conflict between the genetic/cultural imperative to flee your parents, and the current economic reality that college graduates cannot find jobs.
In DC I failed at my main mission, which was "purposely act like a loser, to make [roommate] look better in front of his girlfriend's parents." I acted like my usual charming self, he acted like his usual weird dork self. I guess it comes out even because he was the one getting laid... constantly... while I sat in their basement and watched TV.
Got back into town at 11 PM last night and ran into a crying friend. Spent an hour or so feeding her and sympathizing. Then worked on a paper until 5 AM. Then slept three hours, during which at one point I woke up because I was holding my breath in my sleep (wtf!?). Then worked for a few more hours. Then said "fuck it" and decided to turn it in tomorrow. Went to classes, slept all afternoon, now is time to finish the damn paper.