Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347586 times)

0 Members and 174 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4425 on: April 04, 2009, 11:51:45 pm »

That's the socially accepted impulse? Seriously? You're telling me I live in a society where it's OK to cheat as long as you can persuade someone to do it with you? When did this happen?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4426 on: April 04, 2009, 11:53:28 pm »

Not the cheating, just typically (in my experience anyway) it seems to be the non-relationship person who is villified. I'm saying this tendency to blame that person is the societal default. Like I say, this is my experience, maybe you know more rational people.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4427 on: April 05, 2009, 12:07:16 am »

my experience is more that the lady is always blamed more. Because, you know, if a woman wants it, who is a man to deny her?

at least, in my high-school-era experience, I was essentially told by all parties "[my girlfriend] is just a big slut, you can't blame [my best friend at the time], he's just an idiot."

Although, later evidence suggested that they were right in their judgment of her. Some rude words could definitely be applied to her conduct.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4428 on: April 07, 2009, 01:34:36 pm »

I've been "at work" for about 2 hours.  Now I plan to shower and put on #####.  Being able to log in to work from home is an awesome thing.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4429 on: April 07, 2009, 02:16:54 pm »

It is very possible that I have just completed an entirely meaningless paper, buried in buzzwords and needlessly complex sentences about signification and symbolic capital. I have ideas which just would not turn into well-formed thoughts, due to my caffeine-addled brain.

I feel like a real anthropologist.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4430 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:53 am »

Listen to the new Neil Young album about alternative car technologies. It's ridiculously awesome so far.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4431 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:54 am »

Frank--
they recently announced the WILD lineup for this spring. It's going to be a fun rock band, a majorly up-and-coming rapper , and then some other people.

It's like it occured to them, "let's get some fun groups that people like, which will be fun live, while satisfying multiple demographics."

As opposed to recent WILDs which have been... Guster, Reel Big giraffe, etc.
Apparently some of the recent hip hop acts have been good. Last year we had Sugarhill Gang, which was cool if only to be able to say I saw them (not that I remember it very clearly, other than getting pissed on by some bro).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4432 on: April 08, 2009, 12:43:41 pm »

Frank--
they recently announced the WILD lineup for this spring. It's going to be a fun rock band, a majorly up-and-coming rapper , and then some other people.

It's like it occured to them, "let's get some fun groups that people like, which will be fun live, while satisfying multiple demographics."

As opposed to recent WILDs which have been... Guster, Reel Big giraffe, etc.
Apparently some of the recent hip hop acts have been good. Last year we had Sugarhill Gang, which was cool if only to be able to say I saw them (not that I remember it very clearly, other than getting pissed on by some bro).

I don't remember who we had Freshman year, but the next two years were The Allman Brothers and Chuck Berry.  As far as I recall (which ain't much) they were great shows.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4433 on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:19 am »

If they enact a campus-wide smoking ban like Student Government is pushing for, I will start smoking on principle.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4434 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:03 pm »

If they enact a campus-wide smoking ban like Student Government is pushing for, I will start smoking on principle.

When I was in school I was pushing for mandatory expulsion for anybody who smoked. Because anybody who's started smoking in the last 20 years or so is clearly incapable of learning anything, so why waste the school's time?
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4435 on: April 10, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »

I could say the same thing about people who own guns, drive cars, eat meat, drink coffee, drink, put money in stocks, are obese, etc. but I don't because I am not an asshole.

We already have too few freedoms in this country and people who want to take more away can bug off.  We should work on getting healthy as a society, not policing things that are impossible to police and, frankly, none of your fuck*ng business.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4436 on: April 10, 2009, 01:36:43 pm »

As an ex-smoker, I gotta say...

You never-smoked people don't get it.  Sure, it's a terrible habit with serious health risks, but...

it feels good, dammit.  So let's make a deal: I won't blow smoke into your food if you stop trying to tell me what I can and can't do in my dorm room.   
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4437 on: April 10, 2009, 01:49:18 pm »

I'm not saying I still feel that way, but back in college that made sense to me. Like, they'd deny admission to somebody with an excellent GPA and test scores because they didn't have enough extra-curriculars but they'd let in people who started smoking even knowing the risks? It didn't make sense to me. But you can't legislate-away bad habits.

I still don't see the appeal of smoking at all, but then I rarely drink because I don't enjoy it enough to justify the cost. So maybe those types of vices just aren't my thing.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4438 on: April 10, 2009, 01:53:19 pm »

Seems to me that most workplaces have smoking bans, at least around here. Restaurants have started to have them on the same reasoning - that they're someone's workplace. The zoo bans it too, and I mean in the whole place including outdoors.

I don't see why colleges should be any different. Aren't you there to prepare for the real world? It seems like it's the direction the real world is going.

By the way, research has been unable to prove that coffee is bad for you, and in fact has found that it may even have some health benefits, so if we're going to argue this on the basis of whether similar things are banned, that doesn't belong on Keith's list. Coffee is so good and useful that people are positive that it MUST be bad for you, but so far, despite trying, science has been unable to corroborate this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4439 on: April 10, 2009, 06:42:11 pm »

Man, what the hell? Looks like we need a smoking ban thread.

Today I WAS gonna go trade in my Subaru for an SUV or truck for my move to Alaska, but the guy was out sick. Hopefully I can go trade it tomorrow.

Did I mention that I'm moving back to Alaska? Leave Colorado on May 1st, put my truck on a barge on May 4th, then take a plane up there. Arrive at my final destination on May 5th, Cinco de Mayo! Woooooo!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 878   Go Up