Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344007 times)

0 Members and 181 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4590 on: April 30, 2009, 08:14:39 pm »

But Bananas dude, Bananas.  That snake bite scene, come on.

Also, yeah, you are totally right, besides Manhattan.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4591 on: April 30, 2009, 09:53:50 pm »

I didn't really like "take the money and run" that much either.

there were gags that had me laughing pretty hard, but as a whole I was disappointed.

I am going through a jazz MANIA right now.
good thing the radio station has every important jazz album... but only on vinyl.
all of our CDs are of stuff I have never heard of.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:27:14 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4592 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:43 pm »

vinyls sound better.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4593 on: April 30, 2009, 11:01:08 pm »

I am going through a jazz MANIA right now.
good thing the radio station has every important jazz album... but only on vinyl.
all of our CDs are of stuff I have never heard of.

Anything in particular? I'm on a multi-year Charles Mingus kick.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4594 on: May 01, 2009, 01:03:21 am »

I am going through a jazz MANIA right now.
good thing the radio station has every important jazz album... but only on vinyl.
all of our CDs are of stuff I have never heard of.

Yeah, what are you listening to?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4595 on: May 01, 2009, 03:14:33 am »

coltrane-- giant steps, a love supreme, blue train

mingus-- some sort of compilation I bought, i forget

thelonious monk-- genius of modern music

art blakey-- i have listened too much to Moanin' i think, now I am on Three Blind Mice. real good.

charlie parker-- downloaded a huge anthology, it is too much. i need like, albums.

eric dolphy-- out to lunch

ornette coleman (trying to "get" free jazz, it is not working so far).

I have a bunch of Miles on my computer, but have only listened to Birth of the Cool and Kind of Blue.

I really like Art Tatum's version of Tiger Rag, but I dont' have any other art tatum.

I have a ton of cannonball adderly and sonny rollins and other guys that I downloaded after reading a book on Hard Bop freshman year... but I don't remember who any of them are.

also i have some horace silver that i've never listened to much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4596 on: May 01, 2009, 03:23:48 am »

For Ornette Coleman, try "Something Else".  It's very early and a little more accessible than the later free jazz stuff.

I love me some Theolonius.  Can't go wrong there.

Have you checked out any Jimmy Smith or Wes Montgomery?  Or Django Rheinhart?  Roland Kirk?

Little bit later than the stuff you're listing here, but check out David Murray (Murray's Steps is the album I know best, but there's lots of good stuff there).
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4597 on: May 01, 2009, 03:48:48 am »

I have Moanin' on a mixdisc.  It came from Bozack actually, but it's credited to Mingus not Art Blakey.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4598 on: May 01, 2009, 04:25:32 am »

I'm really late to the party, and only have thirty seconds, but I need to say this:

I had an extraneous "don't" in my earlier post that made it confusing and untrue.  Sorry. 

Gack.  Craziness.  See you guys next week. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4599 on: May 01, 2009, 05:46:01 am »

that's all the miles you need for now, wait a couple years before you give bitches' brew a listen

art tatum is mindblowing and impossible to come by. perhaps the two are related

skip free jazz, it's a waste of time. unless you're a jazz musician in the sixties. and stoned out of your mind on like eight drugs at a time. or a critic of the era. ornette coleman was a phenomenal sax player, i've never seen anyone else play 3 at once. still, his original compositions leave a lot to be desired from a musicality aspect

also, don't skip chick corea or weather report. the debate about them is can jazz be jazz without syncopation vs. can jazz be latin if it requires syncopation because latin music don't syncopate so much as polyrhythm. skip the debate and dig the jam

find "straight, no chaser" the documentary on thelonious monk. it's produced by clint eastwood (a huge jazz fan, also made "bird" about charlie parker starring forest whitaker) and is an awesome look at that phenomenal artist. seriously he's one of my favorite composers from history. the list includes brahms and sibelius and knopfler and cobain
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4600 on: May 01, 2009, 07:07:52 am »

i saw Bitches Brew performed live on campus, it was pretty enjoyable.

my aunt's uncle played with Chick Corea before he (the uncle) became a heroin addict. he has an allmusic page and everything.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4601 on: May 01, 2009, 08:24:31 am »

once again i find myself outclassed by an imaginary internet person

why does this keep happening
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4602 on: May 01, 2009, 08:30:17 am »

If you have not yet listened to Herbie Hancock (actually you have, since he was Miles' pianist) you should start at the back of his catalog and move forwards.  Headhunters is in my all-time top 5 of anything ever.

Today I'm gonna go to bed 2 hours late again.  I'm not sure why I hate being rested but I apparently do.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4603 on: May 01, 2009, 12:09:50 pm »

Let me throw in for The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Mingus. Possibly my favorite record of all time.

Oh, and Moanin' is a song by Mingus on Blues & Roots. The album of the same name is Art Blakey.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4604 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:29 pm »

If you have not yet listened to Herbie Hancock (actually you have, since he was Miles' pianist) you should start at the back of his catalog and move forwards.  Headhunters is in my all-time top 5 of anything ever.

Plus, you can learn Chameleon on bass in 3 seconds and people will think you are good!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 878   Go Up