Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343852 times)

0 Members and 181 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4620 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:39 pm »

Did not getting mugged involve squealing like a little girl and poncing around with arms wrapped over one's head?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4621 on: May 04, 2009, 11:01:49 pm »

Oh, the gas station? Yeah, uh, two blocks down and on the right.

Yeah, I feel fine. I just, uh, have low blood sugar and I...need to...eat...something.

Well, sometimes I take my wallet out to count my money...just...to be sure. You know?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4622 on: May 05, 2009, 02:43:48 am »

Mostly just pride-hurting, I did not actually act like "you are about to mug me."

Just kept walking with eyes forward, thinking "am I just being racist? did he just turn around and start following me? why am I scared of this man? i can't tell if I hear him following me right now?"

I swear to god I heard him stop, pause, and start following me.
But he was not behind me.

I can't decide if this means I should not make the walk I was making late at night, or that I should?

"I was just being lame, I was fine, so it is probably safe to do again, dummy"
vs
"wait, are you a fuck*ng idiot, walking around in a place where other people you know have gotten mugged, at 2 AM, why would you think that is a good idea. just because you want a sub sandwich?"

I had forgotten how much I loved lists like this about rock music, back when I had heard so little of it that I couldn't argue about how right/wrong/pointless the list was... just look up every single artist on it, and download/buy every single album.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:49:50 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4623 on: May 05, 2009, 03:02:43 am »

As long as it is a good sub sandwich.

Also, you're not racist, just wisely wary of young men in dark, dangerous feeling places in the wee small hours. Doesn't St. Louis have a pretty high crime rate?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4624 on: May 05, 2009, 03:10:05 am »

yeah, but like, I passed several white bros before the part where I got scared?
And yeah, they were obviously frat-boy type dudes, had backpacks with books, etc.
But that is fooling myself.

It was a great sub sandwich.

Also: yes, st louis has high crime rates, including the 2nd highest murder rate in the US. but... not in the area where I live. probably.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:16:28 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4625 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23:55 am »

Oh, and speaking of lists. I feel that I've mentioned this guy here before, but I still enjoy reading him so I'll do it again. His best of jazz and best of rock lists. I like that Kind of Blue isn't even in the top 10 on the jazz list (it's 11). Not that it's not a great album, but at least you know he's coming at it all from a different angle than like every other critic writing about jazz today. Also, the Beatles aren't anywhere on his rock list. He's based out of Southern California, but a lot of his reviews are in Italian.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4626 on: May 05, 2009, 03:47:13 am »

You heard him following you but looked and he was not there. Has it occurred that you were almost mugged by a ninja?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4627 on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:28 am »

best of rock lists.

Trout Mask Replica is Number 1? 

I like this guy already!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4628 on: May 05, 2009, 06:02:27 am »

Without some exposition on why they are the greatest albums it's just these are my favorite albums.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4629 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:25 am »

i forgot about Scaruffi. a friend of mine pointed me his way. his knowledge is encyclopedic.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4630 on: May 05, 2009, 10:23:22 am »

I think pretty much everyone I walk past is about to mug me. I've never been mugged. Clearly muggers just love surprising people.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4631 on: May 05, 2009, 08:42:18 pm »

Ignoring exams I have out of panic about where all my shit is going to go when I leave in 2 days.

sorry, all 50-something genera of primates. I have not memorized you yet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:45:22 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4632 on: May 05, 2009, 09:31:04 pm »

Quote from: theinevitable
sorry, all 50-something genera of primates. I have not memorized you yet.

The mnemonic for that must be insane.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:34:02 pm by Toaster »
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4633 on: May 06, 2009, 06:06:03 am »

oh man, 50 was such a lowball guess.

holy crap.

so far the mnemonic is like:

PGPHHHSNAMECCMLRMPTCCPPSTPPRNSOLBAAPCCC A...
she said she will only ask us about particularly weird/distinctive ones.
so I'm guessing I should know this guy
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4634 on: May 06, 2009, 06:25:41 am »

If this were a sitcom from the 80's, now would be the time when I'm all like, "Oh, you mean the Great Nosed Bluelipped Monkey, found only in certain isolated regions of Sri Lanka? I know that species!" And you would be all like "Yeah, that's right. How did you know that?" And then it's discovered that I am accidentally an expert on primates due to watching a lot of Wild Kingdom when I was a child. But this is not TV, this is real life, and I know nothing of primates. And Wild Kingdom has always made me so sad. I used to turn off the TV when the elephants got thirsty. The people with cameras would never help them. Why?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 878   Go Up