Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343918 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5040 on: August 10, 2009, 08:24:29 pm »

Is she smart, Dan?  Everyone likes cunning linguists.

I was going to post something to this effect, had it typed up and everything, but decided against.  Thanks jaydub for picking me up.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5041 on: August 10, 2009, 09:37:25 pm »

I mean, I don't see where the joke is there. She is a lesbian?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5042 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:16 pm »

Go on a mini road trip.  Don't want to over think my self with roadtrip math.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5043 on: August 11, 2009, 12:56:59 am »

no, but seriously, I get the thing. Cunnilingus. But that means like, eating pussy. What is the joke here.

The joke should be like, tell her you are a cunning linguist

or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5044 on: August 11, 2009, 01:43:55 am »

...What is the joke here.

The joke should be like, tell her you are a cunning linguist

or something.

the joke is that the actual joke doesnt apply to the situation.  its funny becasue of the idea of the joke...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5045 on: August 11, 2009, 02:16:10 am »

no wonder you don't get laid
sometimes you just go with it even if you don't understand it
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5046 on: August 11, 2009, 03:21:05 am »

I take jokes really seriously, man.

also, I do not want to fuck any of you guys. sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5047 on: August 11, 2009, 03:21:26 am »

Love your lab coat and tweezers, Dan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5048 on: August 11, 2009, 03:39:52 am »

To be fair to Dan, though, he is pretty much in the exact wrong part of academia to NOT overanalyze the hell out of everything in life out of the reflex of his educational momentum. Courses wherein even the professor is still deciding what he thinks the words in the course title mean can do that to you.

Certainly, he sometimes takes my good natured ribbing about his lovelife too seriously.

Also, it is probably tiring to constantly be seeing women lying down naked in front of him, spread eagle, and then telling them "You seem to have tripped and fallen, while naked, you shouldn't be so clumsy" and moving on.

Oh, helping them up from the ground is probably good for the triceps but when you're tired, it's hard to concentrate on getting jokes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5049 on: August 11, 2009, 04:09:34 am »

I take jokes really seriously, man.

yer doin it rong
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5050 on: August 11, 2009, 04:13:50 am »

I don't want to be this guy, but like, that joke is just not funny.

and if I have to concentrate to get the joke, it is not a very good joke, on my view.


I also tend to think that if I were a smoother guy, or attempted to be a smoother guy, I would fail. I would just be a guy trying to be smooth. I know my strengths, I am just working out the kinks. (that is a weird almost-rhyme.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:32:52 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5051 on: August 11, 2009, 04:27:50 am »


These thoughts!!! They burn!!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5052 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:45 am »

Realized that post-modern anthropologists who write stuff like this are to anthropology like the mythical "hipsters" are to indie-music/etc liking people.

The same way most Star Trek fans don't have a license plate that says "NCC-1701," most anthropologists actually like... go out and do research and learn things about the world, and do not just make shit up out of their heads. And most indie-music fans are normal(ish) people who happen to like a certain kind of music.

These extremes probably exist, but I haven't met one. And I think they may all be at A-CAP.

This has also made me realize that what makes me mad when people make fun of indie rock/anthropology/whatever is the assumption that, you know, all anthropologists write things where the thesis is like "I categorically reject the hegemonic imposition of "quantitativization" onto the true conception/concieving/being-in-the-world, as it is meant to render legible the illegible" (ie: "I don't have any data.) or most indie-rock fans live off of trust funds.

I think I am a lot happier with the world I live in now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5053 on: August 12, 2009, 07:39:27 am »

walking down Telegraph Ave (the main drag in Berkeley):

"Hey guys. I have two questions for you."
"yeah."
"Do you guys like 'shrooms?"
"no."
"... I guess I don't really need to ask you the second question then. Bye."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5054 on: August 12, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »

Quote from: from_theinevitable's_link
Something throws itself together. Or sags, shifts tone, or fails. Invisible airs quicken around nascent forms, rinding up like the skin of an orange. Circulating forces waver and pulse, visceralizing the sheer sense of something happening. The ordinary hums with the background noise of all that takes place in moments, scenes, objects, resonances, rhythms. The atmospheric attunes to the sentience of things passing in and out of existence, to the expressivity of what Giorgio Agamben calls ‘whatever being’. This sensing out that attends is itself a labor of worlding, an effort to inhabit a flighty ground.

Someone needs a bop in the head with a rolled magazine.

(Curiously enough, I can almost discern the shape of a serviceable poem somewhere in that. Your vocational counselors are failing you, America...)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:29:06 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 878   Go Up