Was your 100 an organized ride, or just your first time doing it? I'm currently training for a triathlon (sprint distance, so pretty short for my first one), but I've really wanted to get into longer distance cycling. What was your longest ride before you pulled off the 100?
I did the Portland Century:
http://www.portlandcentury.com/routes.htmlIn training for it I used the grid on this page:
http://bicycling.about.com/od/trainingandfitness/a/century.htmI basically just picked a century ride that was scheduled for around when I wanted to do it, and then worked my way back on the grid to make the dates match up, and just pumped out the miles and the long ride for that week. (I think it worked out to me starting on week 5, but I felt ok, as I had been doing roughly that distance of rides every week.)
If I had to do this last one again, I would have picked a flatter century. This one was 3x the climbing of my longest/climbiest ride. (66 miles, and 2000ft, 2 weeks before the century). I also would have investigated chamois butter or some other form of crotch lubricant. Bike shorts did me well up to 66 miles... but after so many hours, friction hits you and it gets bad quickly.
I'm currently scheduled for another one in October, and I'm looking at how to do that one faster. Looking to move my overall average pace from 10mph up to around 15.