I was in Newcastle in the 90s and Newcastle Brown Ale is a popular beer. Why is it popular? Simple, because it's the cheapest local swill you can buy. It's what you buy when you can't afford a good import like Budweiser or even one of the decent national brands like Tetley's. In other words it's England's version of Old Milwaukee or Carlings Black Label maybe.
Not long ago I saw Newcastle Brown for sale in Whole Foods Market in a special display for $18 for a six pack.
I talked to a guy at a concert here in Salt Lake who is originally from Newcastle and was talking to me about the brewery. Now, I love beer (and our mutual love of beer had been established), but I really don't care much for Newcastle, but to be nice I was all "well that would have been nice to be right there" and he said something like "no Newcastle sucks and where my residence was I could smell it all the time and it smells like ass." And yeah, stores like Whole Foods are always looking for ways to gouge novice beer snobs. I have no problem spending a lot on beer, in fact I have two Rochefort 10s waiting for me when I feel like have been eating healthily long enough to reward myself with them, and the two alone cost roughly $12, but $3 for a bottle of Newcastle at a store? Criminal. I think the bars here in town charge $4.
man high life is the champagne of beers man plus it's like $9 for 30 or some shit don't shit on my favorite cheap beer your favorite beer sucks
You spoke my mind. Specifically, high life with cheap but delicious chinese food, and I'm in heaven.
at Berkeley I got really into Sierra Nevada, but the other day I drank some and didn't like it.
There are three pale ales that are now pretty readily available in Utah (and out west, where I do most of my travelling) that are my standbys. Sierra Nevada, which I can always rely on, Full Sail Pale, a bit harder to come by, and Mirror Pond. Also, Utah has some really decent microbrews now and one really kickass IPA.
Sorry about this whole beer rambling, but I love it, and I haven't had one for closing in on 3 weeks. The whole losing weight thing. It helps to talk about it.