Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349123 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5355 on: September 18, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »

I think part of it was also that I was already pissed off when I started trying, also.

I am bad at those things you said, Ash. Definitely.

Luckily 80% of the time there is a spot on my street big enough to cheat and pull into normally.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5356 on: September 18, 2009, 06:10:10 pm »

How's parking that new RV coming?  My father-in-law drives a 38-footer, although "piloting" is probably a better term.  In the sense of oil tankers as opposed to fighter planes.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5357 on: September 18, 2009, 06:15:44 pm »

I'm much worse at driver-side parallel parking than I am at passenger-side. And because of my old car I always feel like my hood is much longer than it is.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5358 on: September 18, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »

oh man.

Just realized that all of my successes have been on the driver's side. DING DING DING.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5359 on: September 18, 2009, 07:16:48 pm »

watch my brother kick ass at the football game.  hes a linebacker for his HS team.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5360 on: September 18, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »

watch my brother kick ass at the football game.  hes a linebacker for his HS team.
That sounds fun.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5361 on: September 18, 2009, 10:00:25 pm »

now McGuyver-girl's ex boyfriend is in town visiting her.
so maybe there are more factors going on than I realized.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5362 on: September 18, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »

watch my brother kick ass at the football game.  hes a linebacker for his HS team.

I'm going to do the same thing only instead of brother it's niece and instead of linebacker on the football team it's clarinet player in the marching band.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5363 on: September 19, 2009, 06:10:24 am »

... feel sort of emotionally hung over after participating in "Take Back the Night" yesterday.

It was a good night, maybe even a great night.  Apparently it was the best attended rally on record.  

We started at a community centre a couple blocks from my house, and marched through streets I often walk down alone, in the dark, filled with fear.  We marched past a mosque.  Ramadan is still on, and a group of new-Canadian Muslims stood on the side walk looking confused and scared as hundreds of feminists marched past.  I smiled and waived at them with my best "it's okay, we're not here to hurt you" face on until a few started to smiled back too.  We marched past a sex trade worker who stood intoxicated and shy, and I waved at her and motioned for her to join, but she turned shyly away, waiting for the crowd to pass so she could get back to work.  We marched past the apartment building a block from my house where a woman was stabbed to death while people in the apartment watched, too scared to come out to save her, waiting for the police.  We marched past the lot where a lone sex trade worker used to stand, vulnerable in the shadowy parking lot all the time, and I wondered if she was one of the 50 missing and murdered women in my city.  We marched past an empty apartment block on fire, and abandoned boarded up houses.  We walked past houses where families stood, smiled, waved and cheered. Houses where children watched, puzzled and surprized by the noise, and I hoped for a better future from them.  We walked past the solvent users from the park near my house, and I hoped for a better future for them too.  It was something to behold.

The march sounds awesome. I hope for a better future for all of us.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5364 on: September 19, 2009, 06:24:23 am »

oh man, the new york dolls are so good.

here is a question.  I got a job at a cat shelter, I kind of hate it.  like, i like it, but i have to work on the weekends (right now I am listening to a drunk hipster chick talk about being a hipster because of our shower curtain instead of sleeping.  I could be in that conversation man, c'mon) and I am physically tired after work, not just mentally, which sucks.  also, i can't just not sleep like some jobs, or else my job really sucks.  I can think without sleep, but not like move and draw blood and shit.  anyways, I need a new job, but I can keep this one for a while.  My dad wants me to go to law school, which i would be border line to get in, though I have always done really well on standardized tests so maybe that improves my odds.  he would also probably fund it and shit.  the other option is teacher, which means I can move around and don't have to be super invested and can still be good at my job.  also, a lot easier and less school.  and i can have more of a life, but will always be kind of poor.  which would you choose?  I think teacher, but like, really, having the chance to be rich is kind of cool too, especially since I actually have to work, it seems.  The other thing is maybe i could go into politics or change things i think need to be changed, which, yeah, if either of those were possible I would choose law school but that is obviously still something that would be far away, even with a law degree. 

So yeah, be a decent teacher who could probably reach kids alright or try to be rich and influential (hopefully in a good way) but have to work all the time?  doesn't really seem like a choice, but being a history major who would just find a random job seemed like the right thing to do too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5365 on: September 19, 2009, 06:42:54 am »

I think if you want to be a teacher you have to really want to do it. I mean in general you should always do what you want as your job but I think to be a good teacher requires a hell of a lot of passion that not everyone has. So if you have that you should do that because there aren't enough teachers. If you don't, maybe not.

You've surely done enough blow to be a lawyer and politician though.

Edit: Are you actually interested in law by the way? Generally doing stuff because your parents tell you to doesn't work out long term, at least among my friends.
Slight aside: I'm nowhere near done with my education but so far everything I've done has been something I'm interested in and at least semi-passionate about and I can't figure out how people do it any other way. My little bro has taken 5 years (so far, hopefully he'll finish this year) to do a 3 year degree because he's completely disengaged and keeps dropping/failing courses because he just doesn't want to be there. I don't even want to imagine spending that much timing working at something I don't want to do.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:46:11 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5366 on: September 19, 2009, 06:48:16 am »

i guess i am worried that if i don't have what it takes and i would feel like a piece of shit.  that is the main holdup if we're honest.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:10:26 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5367 on: September 19, 2009, 06:55:36 am »

Quote from: KeithHernandez
i guess i am worried that if i don't have what it takes and i would feel like a piece of shit.

This... is me. You wrote a sentence that sums me up. Interesting.

I am like that except all the time for everything. Huh.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5368 on: September 19, 2009, 06:58:16 am »

I wouldn't let that stop you. If you want to do it, you'll do it, it'll just take a lot of work. I've known a lot of smart people but no one that it came easy to, they just all worked their arse off until it got done.

Also I read Keith's post in Roast Beef's voice. Except that I guess Roast Beef is a comic strip cat and so none of you know what he sounds like in my head.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:03:42 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5369 on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:51 am »

yeah, mine is just when parts of kids lives are in my hands.

also, i am kind of doing it out of not wanting more responsibility or worries or stuff or whatever, so i wouldn't be giving it my all just by choosing that path.  i guess even if i am good at it, which i think i would be, i will always know that?  as i said, kids lives are in my hands, so i would want to take it seriously, but just by going this way i, deep inside, would know i wasn't.  maybe that would go away once i did it?
need sleep bye
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:17:07 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 878   Go Up