Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344922 times)

0 Members and 119 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5820 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:05 pm »

Oh, hell yeah. Why didn't I think of that? So obvious. So awesome. And they just opened the roof! Go while it's still nice.
I just assumed she would have been there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5821 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:43 pm »

OMG Did you see the baby anteater!

my faves:

baby hedgehog
baby sloth
baby anteater!




the tiny preview of the 3 dogs looked like a baby cerberus.  i was stoked until i actually saw the full sized image.....  :(
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5823 on: November 09, 2009, 10:13:34 pm »

...ponder the ways that I hope Season 4 of Mad Men opens, while making some lasagna.  Also bourbon.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5824 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:49 pm »

...ponder the ways that I hope Season 4 of Mad Men opens, while making some lasagna.  Also bourbon.
Did you know that a Mad Men theme party is currently the most awesome kind of theme party? Martinis, classy dress, the ladies get all dolled up, men wear period suits, and people get looose.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5825 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »

Did you know that a Mad Men theme party is currently the most awesome kind of theme party? Martinis, classy dress, the ladies get all dolled up, men wear period suits, and people get looose.

I work at an ad agency so the owners felt obligated to throw a Mad Men themed office party for the premier. Lots of martinis were consumed, but no one thought to bring a bottle of good scotch (or even cheap scotch). I blame myself.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5826 on: November 09, 2009, 10:50:53 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5827 on: November 09, 2009, 11:12:55 pm »

yeah, Mad Men is basically my favorite thing.

Now I'm just trying to catch up on The Venture Brothers. So different from Mad Men, so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5828 on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:30 pm »

I tried to watch Mad Men, but I couldn't get past the third episode. I have the same problem I have with The Office - it's so much like real life, it's depressing.

I mean, they're all, "Look how badly women used to be treated back in the day!" And I'm all weeping into my pillow because I have read History and I know that they're not exaggerating.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5829 on: November 10, 2009, 12:11:28 am »

i watched the first five minutes of the first episode of mad men and couldn't stand the misogyny on display, so i shut it off and haven't looked back. it rather saddens me that it's such a hit - especially because one of the big draws seems to me to be a lady of extreme bosom. yeah, i don't watch it so i don't get it, whatever. i don't like it so i don't watch it so i can't get it. i'm just kind of guffed about the whole thing.

the office just stopped being funny after the second season. they kissed, draw the curtain, cancel the show. i'm sure i've ranted about series that live too long before, no need for me to go into it again.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5830 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:49 am »

OMG Did you see the baby anteater!
ZOMG the baby hedgehog!  The baby OWL!!!
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5831 on: November 10, 2009, 12:18:39 am »

I think they have gotten less heavy-handed with that stuff later on. But maybe I just don't notice it as much.

also, the lady of extreme bosom is mostly gone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5833 on: November 10, 2009, 12:37:56 am »

i watched the first five minutes of the first episode of mad men and couldn't stand the misogyny on display....
Your sensabilities are your own and everything, but that seems to me like basically refusing to reading Carson McCullers because her characters use racial slurs. Tragically knee-jerk and kind of really ignoring the big picture.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5834 on: November 10, 2009, 12:51:21 am »

I wouldn't say that.  I had hell of problems with the first few episodes of Mad Men.   

The "THIS IS FUNNY BECAUSE WE DON'T DO THAT ANY MORE" jokes (visual and verbal) were WAY too plentiful and got heavy handed and annoying.   Ok YES I get it, the pregnant lady is smoking and drinking.  YES I GET IT everyone is smoking and coughing.  YES YES OK, I GET IT THAT MAN IS A HOMOSEXUALISM ENTHUSIAST.

It was like they expected me not to understand English, so they were talking very slowly and much too loudly so I would understand them, and in the process they were being so patronizing.

They've slowed down all that, but there's this thing one of the writers does that REALLY irritates me.   I get the feeling that sometimes when some of the characters speak, the dialogue we as the viewer hear isn't what the character actually said.   The writer instead had them say their internal monologue.   Which... I GUESS could be really cool, but it comes off all stilted and weird.

I've hung in there for three seasons after almost culling it.   I enjoy it, but I could see where someone else would flip off the screen and walk away and be totally justified.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:54:55 am by smick »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 878   Go Up