Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346338 times)

0 Members and 172 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5910 on: November 12, 2009, 05:33:29 am »

soon I'm gonna have to get various foams and plastics to insulate our apartment. I can already tell that is going to make me feel really awesome.

I mean, crap, I already get really satisfied about seeing the big piles of dust when I sweep the floor/vacuum my room.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5911 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:49 pm »

Last night I saw Much Ado About Nothing. They turned the princes and whatnot into police, but still called them Prince and Count in the dialog. And the actual constables became security guards. I probably would have enjoyed the play more had I not managed to step into a deep-ass puddle in front of the Supreme Court on my way there.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5912 on: November 12, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »

hm. My first draft of my final paper for this class is due in 5 hours, and I need to write 5 more pages. I am rapidly running out of sources, and my brain is not really functioning.

AHH. AHH.

*deep breath*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5913 on: November 12, 2009, 03:34:11 pm »

hm. My first draft of my final paper for this class is due in 5 hours, and I need to write 5 more pages. I am rapidly running out of sources, and my brain is not really functioning.

AHH. AHH.

*deep breath*

Quick, what's the topic?  I can write 5 pages about nearly anything in like 20 minutes.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5914 on: November 12, 2009, 03:37:31 pm »

...revel in the fact that, one month into my new job, I finally have a clearly defined role.  A celebratory coffee is in order.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5915 on: November 12, 2009, 03:41:16 pm »

Cafe Press as interpreted though the lenses of various social theorists' ideas. It seems like it should be easy to write this, but I am very bad at expanding my ideas. I keep ending up with incredibly short paragraphs that are like, "Marx would either like or dislike CafePress."
(exaggerating.)

I have a ton of books which I got for this project which I did not read. They are not really helping me by remaining unread.

Also, coffee makes my stomach hurt.

Oh well, in 5 hours I will have this class for 2.5 hours (TORTURE) and then take a long nap, and then go see King Khan and the BBQ Show.
Then it will be the weekend, which I will spend eating and sleeping. STAY POSITIVE, FOCUS ON GOALS, YEAH.

Is it ironic that I was so lazy about writing a paper about the protestant work ethic? yes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5916 on: November 12, 2009, 03:54:45 pm »

...revel in the fact that, one month into my new job, I finally have a clearly defined role.  A celebratory coffee is in order.
How about another source of delicious caffeine--a celebratory tiny can of Dr. Pepper!
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5917 on: November 12, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »

Cafe Press as interpreted though the lenses of various social theorists' ideas. It seems like it should be easy to write this, but I am very bad at expanding my ideas. I keep ending up with incredibly short paragraphs that are like, "Marx would either like or dislike CafePress."
(exaggerating.)

I have a ton of books which I got for this project which I did not read. They are not really helping me by remaining unread.

Also, coffee makes my stomach hurt.

Oh well, in 5 hours I will have this class for 2.5 hours (TORTURE) and then take a long nap, and then go see King Khan and the BBQ Show.
Then it will be the weekend, which I will spend eating and sleeping. STAY POSITIVE, FOCUS ON GOALS, YEAH.

Is it ironic that I was so lazy about writing a paper about the protestant work ethic? yes.

How long is the paper? If it's less than 10 pages (currently), and you email it to me, I can look it over and offer suggestions on where you can expand what you have and how to frame your conclusions.

I have plenty of experience with this kind of thing, believe me. So much experience, in fact, that I usually charge people money for this kind of service. I'm PMing you my email address; if you send it by 11:30 I will have it back to you in an hour or less.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5918 on: November 12, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »

Cafe Press as interpreted though the lenses of various social theorists' ideas. It seems like it should be easy to write this, but I am very bad at expanding my ideas. I keep ending up with incredibly short paragraphs that are like, "Marx would either like or dislike CafePress."
(exaggerating.)

Holy crap, that's an unusual one.  Well, if you want me to whip off a page or two on the contrasting capitalistic views of Adam Smith and John Maynard Keynes in regards to social-based shopping and product creation, just give me a shout.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5919 on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:13 pm »

get a phone call from the Tennesee Valley Authority. There is still a Tennesee Valley Authority?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5920 on: November 12, 2009, 04:10:24 pm »

I just sent you a message back because I did not see that you posted here. It's currently like... 3 pages. I think at this point I just need to bang out body paragraphs, but I would love for you to look at it if I get things done in time. I definitely have trouble organizing my thoughts, but I think the structure I'm doing right now is ok...
it's basically

1. What is CafePress?
  A. What technology makes this possible?
  B. What do people use this to do?
2. Theory A
  A. Ways it applies
  B. ways it doesn't apply
3. Theory B
  A. Ways it applies
  B. ways it doesn't apply
  C. What does theorist A have to say about theory B?

Etc. Except maybe not that clear.
Things seem to be starting to flow into each other in a way that... it almost seems like I planned it!
"This problem arises with Theory A... which is solved by theory b! But what about this gap in theory B?"

blue-- the class is "culture of science and technology," and I think everyone else is doing something really goofy like Star Trek fandom, or really serious like physician-assisted suicide.
The good thing is, we're turning in this draft today, and then we review a few other student's papers and give suggestions, and then turn in a revised version in a month for our final grade. I think I like this system, even if I would rather not have this damn thing due today.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:20:57 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5921 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:43 pm »

1. What is CafePress?
  A. What technology makes this possible?
  B. What do people use this to do?
2. Theory A
  A. Ways it applies
  B. ways it doesn't apply
3. Theory B
  A. Ways it applies
  B. ways it doesn't apply
  C. What does theorist A have to say about theory B?

Etc. Except maybe not that clear.

That looks pretty good, except that you're going to have a hard time tying up all your conclusions together in a way that sounds coherent. I can't say for sure without reading the paper, but instead of breaking your paper down by theories, you might have an easier time talking about different concepts that CafePress embodies and having a paragraph for each theory under these subheads. For instance:

1. What is CafePress?
  A. What technology makes this possible?
  B. What do people use this to do?
2. The Technology
  A. How does it relate to Theory A?
  B. How does it relate to Theory B?
  C. Which theory better explains the process?
3. How people use it
  A. How does it relate to Theory A?
  B. How does it relate to Theory B?
  C. Which theory better explains the process?

This structure allows you to make mini-conclusions as you go, making the paper stronger and more interesting. Then, as you pull together your final conclusion, you just basically take the topic sentence from each "c" paragraph and string them together to reiterate your main points, then draw an overarching conclusion based on those.

Just my initial thoughts. It's hard to say for sure without reading the whole thing.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5922 on: November 12, 2009, 04:24:20 pm »

Cafe press is basically cloud computing for t-shirts.

Also, who cares what Marx would think about it. Sheesh.
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5923 on: November 12, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »

Cafe press is basically cloud computing for t-shirts.

Also, who cares what Marx would think about it. Sheesh.

Groucho would hate it.  Chico would love it. Harpo would honk honk.  Who cares about Zeppo or Gummo?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5924 on: November 12, 2009, 04:29:38 pm »

That looks pretty good, except that you're going to have a hard time tying up all your conclusions together in a way that sounds coherent. I can't say for sure without reading the paper, but instead of breaking your paper down by theories, you might have an easier time talking about different concepts that CafePress embodies and having a paragraph for each theory under these subheads.....etc.

*bows down*  You da Woman! *high five*
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 878   Go Up