Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349577 times)

0 Members and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5970 on: November 17, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »

...come to terms with the fact that there's a very high chance that I'll go out like this for Carnival, minus spear (replaced by a bottle of giggle water) and athletic physique, of course:



Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5971 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:13 pm »

Well, Carnival's a few months off, right?  Get working on that physique!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5972 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:45 pm »

I do not like their new album because it is nothing like their previous albums, at all. It is a piano pop album. It is polished. The harmonies are less bluegrass-sounding. There is less banjo.
What I loved about them was the jangley banjo strumming and yelling and harmonies and sloppiness. And the pretty, fragile songs in between, that sound like they're singing in your bedroom. 
I liked that "January" song. That is all.

I can completely understand that, and if you saw them on Letterman, you saw what happens when they try to shoehorn the banjo back into the new sound.  But I think that they've evolved to a new level as songwriters, and they've become more of a band as opposed to a couple brothers who throw some stuff on the wall and see what sticks.

Note: I will always, always love Paranoia in Bb Minor for obvious reasons.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5973 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:15 pm »

but there are already so many bands!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5974 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:55 pm »

..dribble out of my assorted faceholes.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5975 on: November 18, 2009, 01:41:07 am »

Today, I am reading for peer-review the paper of one of my classmates.
I feel a lot better about my paper now. Oh man. I will try to find a good example sentence.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5976 on: November 18, 2009, 02:23:06 am »

Still waiting for you to send me yours, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5977 on: November 18, 2009, 02:44:23 am »

oh! Sure! yes please!

I feel bad about reviewing this paper. It is hard to explain what it wrong with it in words other than "this sentence does not mean anything" or "this word does not mean this."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5978 on: November 18, 2009, 03:03:22 am »

oh! Sure! yes please!

I feel bad about reviewing this paper. It is hard to explain what it wrong with it in words other than "this sentence does not mean anything" or "this word does not mean this."

If it's any consolation, that's a good 75 percent of what I write on my students' papers, although I usually prefer to go with "That word does not mean what you think it means".
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5979 on: November 18, 2009, 03:16:13 am »

Inconceivable!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5980 on: November 18, 2009, 05:45:05 am »

OK, I have decided that it is maybe mean to post sentences. Also I'm afraid JL will say "your paper is worse than that, you are a fool."

But there is one chunk in the introduction that I didn't understand, until I read the rest of it, and realized that she had copy-pasted a paragraph from the middle and put it at the beginning. As in, this paragraph was in there twice.

Also, even in context I had to read it twice to get what she was trying to say. She does not break sentences up into units in the right way. It confuses me.

Oh, to hell with it:

"The reproductive technologies created in these films take reproduction, which was once considered to be a natural and desirable process for humans, and naturalizes it through different means over a long period of time."
I had to read it several times before I got something like
1. people normally reproduce sexually, and think that this is normal and desirable
2. in these films, reproduction has become dependent on technology
3. over a long period of time, people have come to think of this (reproducing through means other than sex) as normal

not to mention she misunderstands/misrepresents basic things about 1984 and THX1138. I have not seen GATTACA, so I can't vouch for her there.


today we had our budget appeal for KWUR Week, a week of concerts we put on every year. Some of them wanted to turn us down because it is the same week as "George Washington Week." I am not really sure what that is. But then they gave us the money.
Then they gave several thousand dollars more than they gave us, with no debate, to a group that wants to bring Matisyahu to campus, to perform and talk about Judaism.
my friend on treasury asked "when was the last time Matisyahu was in St Louis" and was answered "a month ago," but no one else thought this was a problem.

good grief. matisyahu. come on. they used to bring quantum physicists or famous architects to give talks, but lately they are really into... bringing matisyahu instead. he will play reggae music and talk and be paid 17,000$.
Oh well. I guess they are representing what students want this money spent on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5981 on: November 18, 2009, 05:51:09 am »

"Abortions for some, tiny Bob Marley posters for others!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5982 on: November 18, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »

If it's any consolation, that's a good 75 percent of what I write on my students' papers, although I usually prefer to go with "That word does not mean what you think it means".

I never had to write that on a paper. I must have had it easier than I realized.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5983 on: November 18, 2009, 02:47:35 pm »

OK, I have decided that it is maybe mean to post sentences. Also I'm afraid JL will say "your paper is worse than that, you are a fool."

But there is one chunk in the introduction that I didn't understand, until I read the rest of it, and realized that she had copy-pasted a paragraph from the middle and put it at the beginning. As in, this paragraph was in there twice.

Also, even in context I had to read it twice to get what she was trying to say. She does not break sentences up into units in the right way. It confuses me.

Oh, to hell with it:

"The reproductive technologies created in these films take reproduction, which was once considered to be a natural and desirable process for humans, and naturalizes it through different means over a long period of time."
I had to read it several times before I got something like
1. people normally reproduce sexually, and think that this is normal and desirable
2. in these films, reproduction has become dependent on technology
3. over a long period of time, people have come to think of this (reproducing through means other than sex) as normal

not to mention she misunderstands/misrepresents basic things about 1984 and THX1138. I have not seen GATTACA, so I can't vouch for her there.


She is trying to sound smart by obfuscating the meaning of this simple concept with 25-cent words. It's a classic rookie mistake.

There are two things you can do here. You can feel bad about correcting everything that's wrong with the paper, or you can feel bad at the end of the semester when she gets a bad grade from the prof.

Today I'm gonna get an email from a publisher who wants to publish my MA thesis, and delete the message when I find out it's a vanity press.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5984 on: November 18, 2009, 06:17:21 pm »

"The reproductive technologies created in these films take reproduction, which was once considered to be a natural and desirable process for humans, and naturalizes it through different means over a long period of time."
This is a Wash U. student? Jesus fuck-ing Christ life is unfair. I never had enough money to go there, but I haven't written that poorly since grade school. I went to Forest Park. I got a pretty good job afterward, but I'm sure this person will be making twice what I do based on where she went to school. Fuck that shit. Anarchy now.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 878   Go Up