...realize that Vista is like having your operating system be one of those old text adventure dungeon games.
My laptop suddenly lost wireless capability. The Tech Staff looked at it and clicked around and said ominously "this looks like a hardware problem" and took it away. After a very scary long time where I contemplated life, death, and my religious backup habits and hoped that I had lived a good clean life, he came back with an odd look on his face and said it was fixed. I asked what he did and he said "I found something to click that said "Solve this problem?" and I clicked it."
I realized - I had done the same thing once. The experience had been so traumatic I had wiped it out of my memory. So I said, omg, we will need to do this again - how did you find that thing to click?
And he had no idea. He didn't even know where to start to try to find it again. Just like I had, he clicked around and around and eventually the button appeared by magic.
There is obviously no logic to it. You are in a maze of twisty little passages all alike, and if you wander long enough, proving yourself worthy by persistence, you may be lucky enough to stumble into the secret chamber, where you do some nonsensical action, and then as if by magic, you are transported to a new level where your wireless works.
I don't recommend it.