Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348825 times)

0 Members and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6060 on: November 20, 2009, 06:50:50 pm »

I put some of the blame on consumer Wifi hardware manufacturers using shoddy components. There's no reason why my phone should lose wireless signal when I'm sitting practically on top of my router, or my consoles to lose signal when they are less than 2 feet away, or laptops at work to drop signals throughout the day (bosses at one office I work at are too cheap to spring for pro-level wifi routers).

I know they need to hit certain pricepoints and every fraction of a cent counts when you want your chip to be designed into different pieces of hardware, but seriously now, I haven't found one consumer brand that is even remotely reliable.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6061 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:14 pm »

I was happy when Linksys released a firmware update that caused my router/WAP to not care about the microwave oven anymore.  My family had developed a warning system such as you do when you're about to flush a toilet while someone's taking a shower, only it was about running the microwave while anyone was online.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6062 on: November 20, 2009, 07:45:55 pm »

Mi senti gxi estas tempi al paroli en a difernca motinta lingvo sopiri ESPERANTO FRIDAY!

hey! you wanna keep spammin it up with gobbledegook nobody can understand? cool, i'll have my own little friday thing.

FUCK YOU, GUY.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6063 on: November 20, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »

Mi senti gxi estas tempi al paroli en a difernca motinta lingvo sopiri ESPERANTO FRIDAY!

I remember "hundo" being dog.  That's it.  I wish I knew more!
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6064 on: November 20, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »

My family had developed a warning system such as you do when you're about to flush a toilet while someone's taking a shower, only it was about running the microwave while anyone was online.

That reminds me of this strip: http://xkcd.com/654/

Which in turn reminds me me picking up the phone and speaking into it in order to fuck with my brother's game of red alert over dialup.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6065 on: November 20, 2009, 08:32:49 pm »

I remember "hundo" being dog.  That's it.  I wish I knew more!

There are only a couple rules, Blue.   The rest is all vocabulary building.

La lingvon sentaŭgan: Esperanto!

(I do like that I could put those words in any order and the meaning would still be the same.  That's kinda cool.  Some time ago, the ladyfriend and I did some study of Esperanto.   It was neat, but useless.)

Etan trinkaĵon Doktoron Pipron ujon Asherdan haptas!
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6066 on: November 20, 2009, 08:47:30 pm »

There are only a couple rules, Blue.   The rest is all vocabulary building.

La lingvon sentaŭgan: Esperanto!

(I do like that I could put those words in any order and the meaning would still be the same.  That's kinda cool.  Some time ago, the ladyfriend and I did some study of Esperanto.   It was neat, but useless.)

Etan trinkaĵon Doktoron Pipron ujon Asherdan haptas!

Yep, my memory (and this is going back to age 11, in 7th grade) is there are only...what, 11 grammatical rules?  And that it drew mostly from Romance languages with a titch of Anglo/Saxon in there for fun?  I only remember that all nouns end in an 'o' and due to the subject/verb/predicate rules you can arrange the words in a sentence any which way and it all still makes sense.  That's about it. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6067 on: November 20, 2009, 09:59:44 pm »

My computer sometimes arbitrarily loses internet signal like that.  I've clicked on the solve this problem button, but it never does solve the problem.  It does however give a cryptic message with vague suggestions about how to fix the problem.

I've discovered that rebooting the computer usually works.

Yeah, Vista is kind of a fucked up OS.

Rebooting usually works but not always. When it doesn't work, you're cast into the maze of twisty little passages.

The Tech Staff keeps suggesting that he install Linux instead, but it seems that that would make me even more dependent on having a Technical Staff.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6068 on: November 20, 2009, 10:01:49 pm »

The Tech Staff keeps suggesting that he install Linux instead, but it seems that that would make me even more dependent on having a Technical Staff.

Exactly. Linux is only free if you don't value your time. If you can use your feminine charm to score an upgrade to Windows 7 I would say that would be the best way to go.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6069 on: November 20, 2009, 11:57:49 pm »

Would that help? It seems like each version of Windows has been worse than the last.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6070 on: November 21, 2009, 12:06:43 am »

Jl-- thanks for your kind words about my paper! I had typed up a whole thing about how your comments are really helpful, but my computer ran out of batteries and I am at the library. So here is the cellphoje-keyboard version:
thanks a lot! I liked the place where you wrote "NICE TRANSITION" because I was proud of that transition.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6071 on: November 21, 2009, 12:08:00 am »

Wombat -
I haven't personally used it, but the word on the street is Microsoft really went back to the drawing board on this one and made it much slimmer, responsive and stable. I'm dying to switch once all my animation software becomes certified comapatible (I skipped vista all together).

Did your PC come with vista? If so the hardware is more than likely fully compatible with 7 since the minimum requirements didn't really change.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6072 on: November 21, 2009, 12:11:28 am »

Yeah, it did. And I see I might be able to get a free upgrade if I bought the computer after the right date. But I'm not going to get up and look for the receipt right now because I have nice warm pugs on my lap.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6073 on: November 21, 2009, 12:47:24 am »

Wombat -
I haven't personally used it, but the word on the street is Microsoft really went back to the drawing board on this one and made it much slimmer, responsive and stable. I'm dying to switch once all my animation software becomes certified comapatible (I skipped vista all together).

Did your PC come with vista? If so the hardware is more than likely fully compatible with 7 since the minimum requirements didn't really change.

My dad works for Microsoft, in their data center R&D department, and he says he is really impressed by it.  (He's only worked there two years, so he's no slavish Microdrone.)  I think that through him I can get Windows 7 for like 25 bucks or something? if anyone wants one.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6074 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:54 am »

The old adage w/ Microsoft is never buy a new OS until the first service pack comes out. I've heard that you should consider 7 to be the first service pack for Vista.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 878   Go Up