Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345674 times)

0 Members and 209 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6390 on: December 17, 2009, 06:11:16 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement, you lovely figments. I'll let you know how it went so we can laugh together. Side_show, I get your point and agree with it. Here it's a big company and I rarely bump into this girl, though. So there'll be several walls and corridors between us blocking all the awkwardness after I hand this thing out. Hopefully.

Yes, this is a totally different situation, and one where such a thing doesn't hinge on the creepy. If you did this, then say, sat at a desk three feet away all day, five days a week, staring at her, then you know, my advice would be"Do not do this thing."  Otherwise I am all for speaking your truth and say "go for it!"

There was a time when I worked in a larger workplace where a guy was pining over me, but we worked in different departments and would maybe see each other in passing once or twice a week maximum.  He made a terrible techno song that I think may have been about me, since he wanted me to hear it and the lyrics were about a girl and his pining for her...  It was more awkward that I didn't like his terrible techno music than that he had these feelings for me.  Plus I was also in an unhappy pseudo relationship with one of his friends at the time. It was kind of nice to know he appreciated me though.  Over time, when my other relationship passed, I was able to give the other guy a chance.  

Terrible techno songs are not hearfelt, lovely poems though.  Once he had me he didn't know what to do with me, so his chance was fleeting at best.  The dude had major depression and catastrophically poor self esteem, which over time lead to problems with drugs, and then a break down.  Ten years later, he lives in his parents basement and can't work due to "migraines."  I ran into his brother who told me his bro hasn't left the house in years and continues to pine for me, and the apparently better life he once had (although he hated his life back then too), which is... just terrible.   It hinges on tragic, really.

The guy I was pseudo dating and I are still acquaintances, and we bleakly admitted to each other a while back that we occasionally scan the obituaries looking for our old friend's name.

The lesson is - be careful with your pining.  Say your truth, but have the courage to face rejection or lack of reciprocation if it comes.  Do not shelf yourself in the endless loop of waiting and hoping for someone's heart to turn, for a better life or a better world.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6391 on: December 17, 2009, 06:40:57 pm »

Aw, man, we are supposed to do something with the girls once we get 'em?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6392 on: December 17, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »

Run around st louis doing errands, and then drive to Nashville. Supposed to be a big snowstorm in the Appalachians tomorrow morning, so it looks like I will be re-evaluating my route at that point.

I always enjoy when I have a big list of things to do, and start prioritizing in ways like "I will recycle cans but not paper, paper can sit in our house over break" and "I will wash all of the plates, but not the cups."
It is so cool how things to do can just disappear off of my list like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6393 on: December 17, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »

Last night I got to see Young Frankenstein at the Kennedy Center. It was OK, about what I expected. There were some scenes with songs where a song was not actually necessary.

You may have seen me recently complaining about two coworkers who are loud, obnoxious, and screw around all the time. Well, thanks to them my whole section now has mandatory break and lunch times and we aren't allowed online or to make phone calls outside of these times. It's really annoying because they could have just disciplined or fired the two fuck-ups.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6394 on: December 17, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »

I should have inev edit my to-do lists for me, that sounds like a good way to do things.

Today I'm gonna move my big, huge, 1950s-era vintage solid oak desk to the opposite wall of my office, and then be unsure as to whether or not I like the result.

Instead of being able to see out the window, now I can see through the open doorway into the playroom. That's practical, if nothing else.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6395 on: December 17, 2009, 08:01:25 pm »

better not to face the desk out window, as you run the risk of daydreams when the weather is nice. facing it into the room and out the door is an awesome thing and improves your Power QuotientTM when visited by anyone. they will cower beneath your might and heap praise upon you.


buy my book, Improving Your Power QuotientTM Through Feng Shui, at local retailers and amazondotcom for the low low special price of $34.95
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6396 on: December 17, 2009, 08:06:18 pm »

It also has the added benefit of making it look like I'm working very diligently when Pedro pokes his head in to find out where the diaper rash cream is.

Funny story: When I worked in an office, I got so accustomed to alt-tabbing out of whatever web page I was browsing instead of working that occasionally, when the door would open unexpectedly, I would alt-tab from actual work into TOUAMB or sumesuch. Reflexes are funny things.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6397 on: December 17, 2009, 08:25:53 pm »

when Pedro pokes his head in to find out where the diaper rash cream is.


Ain't he potty trained yet?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6398 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:58 pm »

Its for shaving.  His neck skin is tender.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6399 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »

I just got a notice that my Achewood order shipped. When I opened it I noticed the cookbook is missing and there's no mention of it made. Hmm
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6400 on: December 18, 2009, 12:05:00 am »

There were some scenes with songs where a song was not actually necessary.


Isn't that basically the definition of a musical?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6401 on: December 18, 2009, 12:20:28 am »

Isn't that basically the definition of a musical?

But these felt forced even for a musical. They didn't introduce characters or ideas really. It was more, there's a scene where the monster has run away and the villagers chase after him. Since every scene needs a song, we'll just throw together something called "On the Loose" where they just sing "he's on the loose" over and over again.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6402 on: December 18, 2009, 12:45:48 am »

Isn't that basically the definition of a musical?

You're canned!
Yes, you're canned!
Oh you're cannity-can-can-can-canned.

Well I am the man
who is handing out cans
and I am a fan of the
posts that you plan!

Here's a can!
Here's a can!
Everybody all around
Loves a can!

Can, CAN, CAN
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6403 on: December 18, 2009, 01:50:02 am »

Danzig
Pennywise
TSOL
Suicidal Tendencies

I would pay to see that show.

Last time I did one of these things I finished the night sans shirt. Gonna try to avoid that I think.

No matter how shirtless you get, you cannot get more shirtless than Glenn Danzig. He is shirtless even when he's wearing a shirt.

Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6404 on: December 18, 2009, 01:54:11 am »

You're canned!
Yes, you're canned!
Oh you're cannity-can-can-can-canned.

Well I am the man
who is handing out cans
and I am a fan of the
posts that you plan!

Here's a can!
Here's a can!
Everybody all around
Loves a can!

Can, CAN, CAN

A hook creeps from stage left, it is made entirely of tiny cans.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 878   Go Up