Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350069 times)

0 Members and 143 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6585 on: January 07, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »

In solidarity, I won't wear one either.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6586 on: January 07, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »

I had a dream where all of my teeth fell out. boo.

I think I need to find something productive to do with my time.

Hey, a-cap, how did you learn banjo? Did you buy a book?
I'm debating whether to get 1 clawhammer book and 1 scruggs-style book... or just make up my damn mind.
I don't want to be able to do any sort of insane scruggs stuff, just know some basic rolls and all. I learned one basic roll (it's a nice little thing with alternating bass) and am up to the point where I can play it at a medium speed and switch between the chords I know. That's satisfying.

I think I have asked for banjo advice on here a bunch of times, but this time it is FOR REAL because I have a border's gift card and nothing I want other than a banjo book(s).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6587 on: January 07, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, or sound like some privileged straight white dude.  But this whole "post your bra color on Facebook" thing that's going around is the weakest form of slacktivism.  "Raise breast cancer awareness?"  To who, exactly?  Who are you alerting about breast cancer that isn't already aware of it?  Are you raising money for research, or petitioning Congress to put more money into it?  What the HELL people.

(My opinion, YMMV.)
That's the way I feel about most causes on facebook.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6588 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:49 pm »

I had a friend who was taking lessons and he passed on some knowledge. I haven't seen or touched one in years, however.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6589 on: January 08, 2010, 02:54:42 am »

I'm watching the BCS championship game, and have seen that Taco Bell commercial with "Denise" already like twice. Has anyone else seen that? I'd totally buy a burrito from her.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6590 on: January 08, 2010, 03:05:45 am »

Ah.  I was wondering what that was about.  Not enough to actually ask what the random color announcement was about.  Except to make racy remarks when one lady posted "nude".  The word, that is.

Now I understand the reactions to one of my "friends" simply posting "NONE!" for her status, alternating between comments that read like "huh? so confused! LOL!!!" and "you go girl! me too!!!"
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6591 on: January 08, 2010, 03:13:40 am »

One of my friends, who is a dude, didn't get it, he just thought people were posting colors for lulz, so he said purple. He then had it explained to him.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6592 on: January 08, 2010, 03:14:18 am »

What's this "slactivism" bullshit? It's a viral campaign for a good cause. Jesus. You people are cynics.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6593 on: January 08, 2010, 03:31:03 am »

You people are cynics.

This is a surprise?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6594 on: January 08, 2010, 03:32:35 am »

I prefer to think of myself as a disappointed optimist.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6595 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:34 am »

But how does it actually help or make anyone aware of the worthy issue?

Like, most people aren't mentioning the issue at all, it's just kind of an excuse to be flirty with the people they wanna be flrty with on facebook in kind of a sideway fashion, yeah?

I mean, sure, worthy cause but if 99% of the "awareness" is some chick from Topeka describing her bra on facebook in case it will tittilate three guys she still carries a torch for from high school (one of the main reasons for facebook, after all) what is gained for said worthy cause?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6596 on: January 08, 2010, 03:59:31 am »

Yeah, I'm with smets here. I'm a fan of the "Feel your Boobies" campaign, but posting about my unmentionables on in public webspace is only going to get me unwanted attention from creepers.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6597 on: January 08, 2010, 04:04:55 am »

I literally had 300 4-view mammograms in my lap today. I could not possibly be more aware of breast cancer without actually having it. Unless even a fraction of these posts is accompanied by a donation (monetary or time) I fail to see how this "raising awareness" is helping.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6598 on: January 08, 2010, 04:09:14 am »

What's this "slactivism" bullshit? It's a viral campaign for a good cause. Jesus. You people are cynics.
A viral campaign for what, though? Memes can lose their intended meaning. There's a debate on my friend's page about whether it has any relation to breast cancer awareness. Some women claim that its purpose is just to mess with men. So did the PM change somewhere along the way?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6599 on: January 08, 2010, 04:13:11 am »

...fill out our census form.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 878   Go Up