Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348200 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6990 on: March 10, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »

OK, I don't want to be a wet blanket here but... the Tech Staff is good at this kind of stuff, but if I remember correctly, the one time he did this, we eventually realized the toilet was leaking and had to call a plumber to re-do it. So, maybe keep an eye on it. You don't expect to do most things perfectly the first time, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6991 on: March 10, 2010, 03:16:23 pm »

OK, I don't want to be a wet blanket here but... the Tech Staff is good at this kind of stuff, but if I remember correctly, the one time he did this, we eventually realized the toilet was leaking and had to call a plumber to re-do it. So, maybe keep an eye on it. You don't expect to do most things perfectly the first time, right?

Dad checked it out. In fact, he came by because after the whole thing was installed and we turned the valve back on, the *valve* started leaking. So he had to come replace the valve for me because I don't know how to solder (yet). No leaks on the toilet proper, though. And Dad would know.


ALSO: Jay-Ell? You have been adopted in the man conversation clubhouse by your Pap. Congratulations on your honorary weiner. Actually, a lot of men conversate best through the projects they've been up to and your pater was complimenting you. I'm glad you recognized it.

But if you want to stay in the club you can't play false modesty all the way. At some point you need to tell an under-emphasized no-big-deal tone story about one of the problems you overcame with the project. Then he can relate his experiences with that kind of stuff and maybe you guys can go crack a brew an chew the fat.

Well, the new toilet actually came about because I was trying to repair the old one. I took the whole thing apart so that I could get to the gasket that seals the tank to the bowl, but the bolts were so rusted (and, of course, I didn't get new ones because they cost a whole $1.50) that I couldn't get it back together. By this time, the hardware store was closed, so I had to leave it for morning, and by then I'd been able to convince my spouse that if we were going to replace every bolt, nut, washer, and gasket in an effort to get this thing to stop leaking (I had already replaced the flapper and seal), we may as well spring for a new unit and save ourselves 3 gallons per flush as well.

The modestly isn't false, BTW. I have a really hard time accepting compliments, generally. "Nice dress," my friend will say. "Oh, this? I got it off the clearance rack at Kohl's last fall."

Also, the bolts *WERE* so rusted that I couldn't get them unscrewed, so I just took a pair of channel locks and broke them off at the base. (Note to self: buy a hacksaw.)

Next up: GFCI!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6992 on: March 10, 2010, 03:44:42 pm »

and you know how those bolt heads can be a pain to get at after they've corroded up for years.

Oh hells yes.  You ain't lived til you've spent an hour kneeling by your toilet hacksawing a mounting bolt off.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6993 on: March 10, 2010, 03:47:26 pm »


Next up: GFCI!

The trouble I have with those is either the wires are so short it's hard to get them connected to the replacement outlet or the wires are too long so it's hard to cram them all back into the box when you're done.

Which reminds me, I've got an outlet I need to replace in the basement.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6994 on: March 10, 2010, 08:16:37 pm »

Let's see, a new toilet? 

Unbolt old toilet, detach water line from back, remove.

Remove old wax ring, replace, seat toilet, bolt down, reattach water line.

Good stuff.  Like you say, it's so rewarding discovering new stuff you can do all by yourself.

Well, uh for the young pups who might read this, it should be noted that you must first turn the water off, and drain the old toilet.  Turning the water off is a pretty important step.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6995 on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:32 pm »

Well, uh for the young pups who might read this, it should be noted that you must first turn the water off, and drain the old toilet.  Turning the water off is a pretty important step.

Shhhhh.

Next I'm going to send one of 'em to get my left-handed monkey wrench from the truck.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6996 on: March 10, 2010, 09:57:11 pm »

Shhhhh.

Next I'm going to send one of 'em to get my left-handed monkey wrench from the truck.

My dad used to tell the n00bs, "You cut this 2x4 too short, go get the board stretcher from the truck."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6997 on: March 10, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »

i was in boy scouts for a time.  when i was a n00bscout, i actually went back to the leaders' truck to fetch the 'left-handed smoke-shifter'.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6998 on: March 11, 2010, 02:56:51 am »

I was a Boy Scout for a while.

The moment I got home after my first camping trip, I quit the Boy Scouts.

There are few things more telling of my personality than that simple fact.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6999 on: March 11, 2010, 03:04:47 am »

My mom sent me to a Brownie meeting once. It was a bunch of popular girls from my class who ignored me all day at school, then kept right on ignoring me through the meeting. I didn't talk to anyone, and I wasn't really sure why I was there.

When I got home, Mom asked what I thought of it. I told her, "It was dumb."

She didn't make me go back.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7000 on: March 11, 2010, 05:46:33 am »

Please do better than our pet sitter. She went out on the upstairs balcony to enjoy the view and left the french doors secured improperly. We had some weather and it blew the door open. When she showed up that night she was unable to lure in one of our three cats from the roof. She tried over the next couple of days, leaving food out and all but no kitty.

She feels terrible, of course, and I'm playing it off lightly because it's over and done and there's no sense roasting someone at this point.

But GODDAM! I pound rescued that cat when it was less than a year old as a April 1999 Easter present for Spouse. For 12 years she'd been MY buddy, all coming to me most evenings quiet times for scritches. We had our own games, dammit.

So yeah. I'm sure you'll do fine and dandy, Linnea.

ALSO: Jay-Ell? You have been adopted in the man conversation clubhouse by your Pap. Congratulations on your honorary weiner. Actually, a lot of men conversate best through the projects they've been up to and your pater was complimenting you. I'm glad you recognized it.

But if you want to stay in the club you can't play false modesty all the way. At some point you need to tell an under-emphasized no-big-deal tone story about one of the problems you overcame with the project. Then he can relate his experiences with that kind of stuff and maybe you guys can go crack a brew an chew the fat.

Ash.

ASH!!!

This is ME we're talkin' about here. I ain't gonna lose anybody's dang cat. I used to take out birthday adverts on the local access channel for my cats, for Christ's sake. Not at the same level as Angela from the Office where I'm licking them and coughing up hairballs, but probably pretty damn close. I don't love other people's cats as much as I loved mine, but I am a responsible petsitter.

Jay-Ell, that was the most heartwarming story of dudes ever. Your dad is SO FREAKING PROUD of you. Plus you rocked the house and saved your family a huge grip of cash because you didn't have to call a plumber. That is bomb-ace.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7001 on: March 11, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »

Jay-Ell, that was the most heartwarming story of dudes ever. Your dad is SO FREAKING PROUD of you. Plus you rocked the house and saved your family a huge grip of cash because you didn't have to call a plumber. That is bomb-ace.

Yeah, Dad pointed out that it took me about 2 hours to do, which bills at about $125/hr, plus materials and the customary 75% markup. Pretty sure he was exaggerating, but then, I've never had to actually hire a plumber (or an electrician, or anyone else to fix anything other then the HVAC), so who knows? My mechanic bills at $90/hr, so maybe he was being serious. It's hard to tell with Dad.

Regardless, I paid $99.35 for the commode and a new supply hose, so I think I win.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7002 on: March 11, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »

i was in boy scouts for a time.  when i was a n00bscout, i actually went back to the leaders' truck to fetch the 'left-handed smoke-shifter'.

We sent some new kids over to a neighboring campsite to ask if they had any spare umbilical cords.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7003 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:16 pm »

I'm an Eagle Scout.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7004 on: March 11, 2010, 07:18:38 pm »

I'm an Eagle Scout.

I'm not surprised.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 878   Go Up