Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343190 times)

0 Members and 192 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7290 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:12 pm »

Born in a pile of hay, I was... born in a pile of hay...

(It writes itself after that. Manger, three kings, etc.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7291 on: April 25, 2010, 10:43:39 pm »

Quote
It was 4/16. More kids from my HS went to Tech than any other school so lots and lots of my friends went there and many switch to the ribbon logo thing.

I probably could have guessed that, but it seemed like it was really random people. Hm.

Today I slept in really late, and now I am starting 2 weeks of hell. Like, pure hell.
After that: 1 week of exams, a few days off, and then graduation/my birthday/moving out/my brother's graduation/moving into my new place. YEAH.

But tonight, I am writing 2 papers and going out to Sichuanese food for my roommate's birthday.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7292 on: April 26, 2010, 03:04:05 am »

Rewrite the lyrics to a Springsteen song and send them to the worship leader at my church to see if she wants to use it in the contemporary service.

This sounds crazier than it is. Two weeks ago we sang "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Peaceful, Easy Feelin'" by the Eagles. So, "Stolen Car" with lyrics about the impermanence of Earthly treasures, not so far out there, actually.

Why of why would you want to pervert Amazing Grace by putting it to the tune of Peaceful Easy Feeling?  Amazing Grace is one of the most beautiful melodies ever written.  This is blasphemy.

Also, your idea won't work because Peaceful Easy Feeling is an instantly recognizable melody and Stolen Car is not.  Certainly not to a bunch of people that think singing Amazing Grace to the tune of Peaceful Easy Feeling is a good idea.

Born in a Pile of Hay might work though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7293 on: April 26, 2010, 03:43:23 am »

I'm On Fire would probably work pretty well. You wouldn't even have to change anything...almost.

I have to say that I'm not really a fan of the idea, but I am a fan of making an artist's work personally meaningful.

But, there's just so much beautiful religious music already out there, you know?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7294 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:06 am »

I would like to hear Nachmystium do Amazing Grace.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7295 on: April 26, 2010, 04:33:51 am »

I agree, Amazing Grace is a fantastic and perfect melody. It is still the only thing I can play on my banjo, and it makes me really really happy every time.

Today I finally put new batteries in my camera, and found some really old pictures that I never uploaded. Also, some pretty recent ones.

One is like that video Paul had where his parents thought he was taking a picture. Unfortunately my camera's microphone does not quite catch my girlfriend finally saying "What are you doing?"
What is so intriguing about watching people pose for a picture? I really like it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7296 on: April 26, 2010, 04:34:30 am »

amazing grace set to the theme of gilligan's island. it will be with me forever. bless you, college choir.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7297 on: April 26, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »

Ralph Stanely and the Clinch Mountain Boys did "Amazing Grace" a cappella at their show Saturday night.  Enough to give one chills.

Their fiddle player is insanely good.  And the banjo player looked like something out of a cartoon.  He should not be able to play that fast.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7298 on: April 26, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »

What is so intriguing about watching people pose for a picture? I really like it.

I think its funny that people will "pose for a picture" even if they know its a video camera.  We don't have a codified behavior for a video clip yet - at least, among the 30+ crowd.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7299 on: April 26, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »

Why of why would you want to pervert Amazing Grace by putting it to the tune of Peaceful Easy Feeling?  Amazing Grace is one of the most beautiful melodies ever written.  This is blasphemy.

Also, your idea won't work because Peaceful Easy Feeling is an instantly recognizable melody and Stolen Car is not.  Certainly not to a bunch of people that think singing Amazing Grace to the tune of Peaceful Easy Feeling is a good idea.

Agreed, but that's what you get when the band leader loves the Eagles. He even sounds like Don Henley. Anyway, this is the "contemporary worship" option. People who want to hear Amazing Grace the traditional way can get up 15 minutes earlier and go to the other service that runs concurrently in the sanctuary while the rest of us weirdos have guitars in the gym.

Also, the point is that most people won't recognize the melody at all. I mean, that's *my* point. I don't know what other people do.

It will probably never get used, but something about the tune struck me while I was listening to Wombat's mixdisk and I thought it a pretty apt metaphor for the fleeting nature of life. We're all just driving stolen cars, none of this shit really belongs to us in the end.

Any by the way, I have started finally listening to mixdisks because I suddenly realized that I have a CD player in my car. (None of the ones in my house are convenient for listening and my laptop lacks an optical drive.) So, a belated thanks for all the music, everyone.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7300 on: April 26, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »

On my recent trip, I listened to both lprkn's and pcmd9's disks, in a convertible Mustang with the top down (on Southern California freeways).  It was epic.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7301 on: April 27, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »

cracked-15 unintentionally perverted childrens toys

also, im finally putting my ren and stimpy seasons 1, 2, 4, and 5 on my zune. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:52:34 pm by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7302 on: April 27, 2010, 06:47:17 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7303 on: April 27, 2010, 06:51:00 pm »

Tapirs are not anteaters, man. What gives?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7304 on: April 27, 2010, 07:06:03 pm »

Education.  Tapirs are not related to pigs.  Huh.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 878   Go Up